• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I put together a "bug out/SHTF" kit. Thoughts???

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
Guys,

In lieu of the events in Japan & the reality that I myself live roughly 100 miles from the New Madrid Fault, I decided to try my hand at bundling a "bug out/SHTF" pack. There are literally thousands of options when it comes to outfitting such a piece of kit and all aren't necesarily right or wrong. They can vary based on time of year, geographic location, etc. Anyhow, I put together this kit & I'd be interested in getting your opinions as far as equipment included, what I got right/what I missed, etc. Here's the link to the kit:

**EDIT: I'VE DECIDED TO ADD THE COMPLETE LIST OF WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE KIT. SORRY FOR THE LONG LIST**

--ONE: Condor Outdoor Compact Assault pack in Coyote Brown;
--ONE: Adventure Medical Kits SOL3 Survival Kit (this kit packs a TON of gear, click it to get the rundown);
--TWO: Plastic rain ponchos;
--TWO: Leather work gloves;
--THREE: Glow Sticks;
--ONE: 5 in 1 Shovel multi tool (shovel, pick, axe, saw, compass);
--ONE: Aquamira Water Filter;
--ONE: Metal Canteen/Cooking Cup;
--ONE: 3 liter hydration bladder;
--ONE: Nylon Paracord, 50ft.;
--ONE: 11 in 1 Multi Tool (fork, spoon, knife, can opener, corkscrew, bottle opener, 2 flathead screwdriver heads, serrated knife w/sewing needle hole, and hex wrench head);

Here is what is included in the SOL3 Kit:

Contents:
Bandage Materials
4 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
2 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
4 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 2"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Non-Sterile, 4" x 4"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"

Bleeding
1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe

Blister / Burn
11 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces)

Duct Tape
1 Duct Tape, 2" x 50"

Gear Repair
3 Cable Ties, 4"
3 Cable Ties, 8"

Instrument
1 EMT Shears, 4"
5 Safety Pins

Medication
2 After Bite Wipe
2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
4 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2

Survival Tools
2 Aluminum Foil, Heavy Duty, 3 Sq. Ft.
1 Compass, Button, Liquid Filled
1 Headlamp, 2 watt LED w/ headband
1 Heatsheet Survival Blanket
1 Magnesium Fire Starter, 4.5 mm, w/ Striker
1 Mini Rescue Flash Signal Mirror
1 Mini Rescue Howler Whistle
4 Nylon Cord, #18, Braided, (10 ft. 100lb test)
1 Tinder Quick

Wound Care
3 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe
1 Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz
1 Tape, 1/2" x 10 Yards
1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial
2 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2482760&#Post2482760

P1080845Medium.jpg

I'm thinking about doing a second kit as well but reducing the contents & running it at $99.00. Is there anything in that kit that you think I should 100% definitely include? The cost of the pack & contents makes getting the $99.00 price somewhat of a challenge but I want to make sure the setup provides the absoute essentials within that budget.

Thanks for your help & advice. I've done a lot of research in putting together the pack & gear combo but I think I'm missing something here...

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Re: I put together a "bug out/SHTF" kit. Thoughts???

Well... I have had pretty extensive training putting kits like this together as a member of my county's SAR team. Like you said, there is no right or wrong but I believe there are some necessities that should be in a pack no matter what. My thoughts:

Water purification: Katadyn Micropur or similar tablets, they are light weight and effective.

Food: Datrex bars or similar, these are packed with calories and have a great shelf life. Otherwise powerbars will work but they have less calories.

Medical: Standard off the shelf med kits are a joke IMHO, they contain far too many band-aids and far too little useful stuff. I would recommend putting your own kit together with plenty of dressings of various sizes, gauze, compression wraps, combine pads, an assortment of meds, good pair of trauma shears and tweezers, plenty of disinfectant pads (alcolhol and iodine) and a reasonable supply of bandaids of different sizes. You will find that this kit will cover far more emergencies and can be build cheaply and expanded upon according to individual needs.

A signalling device: Signal mirrors are cheap, chem lights work great for night.

A method to start a fire: The swedish match made by Light my fire is dirt cheap, fool proof, waterproof, and rugged.

Emergency shelter: You cannot beat aluminized space blankets. Throw a couple of em in there. They are cheap! Adventure medical also makes a bivy out of that material now that kills two birds with one stone, shelter and warmth.

As long as you have the necessities covered, eg. shelter, food, water, medical, and comms, the rest is personal preference.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Otherwise your pack looks great, looks like you have a good sized pack, just right. Many people pick a pack that is too small to fit their stuff, and others pick a pack that is too large so they are not used to carrying a pack that heavy.

Cheers!

It looks like you have quite a few of the things I mentioned, it is kinda hard to tell from the pic, cant read the labels that well. Looks like you have your bases covered!

i think you can fit more kit in if you take the shiny wrappers off the stuff..........good start tho

Looks pretty good. Im piecing one together as well. For water purification needs take a look at something like this: http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw

Its probably what im gonna gonna go with. Dont forget a quality multi-tool and a way to start a fire. Gerber makes great firestarter tools for 15 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks pretty good. Im piecing one together as well. For water purification needs take a look at something like this: http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw

Its probably what im gonna gonna go with. Dont forget a quality multi-tool and a way to start a fire. Gerber makes great firestarter tools for 15 bucks.</div></div>

I forgot to add the multi-tool to my post above, that is a definite must have for a "go-bag"!

i say if it dont fit up yer manpurse without fallin out clenched running, leave it at home.

Just saw your update with the complete pack list, looks damn good! Very reminiscent of my own pack
smile.gif
I would still add some water purification tablets of some sort... mechanical filters are great... until the break or plug up... make sure you throw a couple sets of extra batteries in there as well, lithium batteries store a bit better than alky batts.

Having lived in the Memphis area all of my life you might want to include something belt fed.

Really, you have a good thing going there. I have a camelbak mule that is very similar to your setup. I would add cash, a small pair of bolt cutters, quickclot, trash bags, and toilet paper.

I rotate the water in the bladder on a regular basis, and keep a lot of extra in my trunk. You just do not want to have to purify the water above ground here. It is not going to remove the chemicals.

I am always glad to see people in this area prepping.

Take a look at the Esee survival kits, They have a good idea of what works and what you may or may not need, they do survival training as well.

The filter straw is a good idea when you pair it with say coffee filters to filter the big stuff out of the water into a bottle. The one below from aqua mira will attach to an assortment of plastic bottles, ie coke, pepsi, 2 liter etc.

I am a big fan of bungie cords for shelters, they are quick up and quick down when there are trees or shrubs around.

The med kits that I have are trauma packs, with israeli bandages, curlex, ace bandages, quick clot sponge, quick clot combat gauze, The iodine, and triple antibiotic ointment are great as well.

http://www.eseeknives.com/comprehensive_kit.htm

http://www.survivalmetrics.com/id_%20Ultimate-Survival-Medical-Kit-
Combination-2

http://aquamira.com/military/frontier-pro-filter-system/

something very simple: a good cap (going over your ears). you lose most of your body heat via your head (go diving then you know what i mean). must-have in winter (and you already got gloves there) -- alternatively, boonie hat against the sun(depends on the climate)

emergency arial flares - multiple uses: signal, defence, fire, etc

You might consider a heavy duty survival blanket, more tarpish than the tin foil ones(more sturdy). How about a knife and some tea bags/bullion cubes. Theres always something nice about a cup of broth when its cold out.

Money. You aren't going to have time to drop by the bank and wherever you go you'll eventually need it. Put in what you can. I'd also have a map going out 100 miles and phone numbers of large hotels going out in all directions at 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 miles. Above assumes more of an evacuation but that's a reasonable assumption.

Signal, Spark, Water/Water Gathering, Shelter, Food/Food Gathering.

If you can fulfill all of these requirements with the tools that you have then you have what you need.

I have one piece in my bag that hasn't been mentioned yet. A pocket chainsaw. I've tried 2 or three different ones and there are so lame ones on the market, but there are some great ones out there. they don't take up a lot of room and do as good a job as an axe or hatchet.

An atlas of the city or state you live in could be extremely useful in an emergency. Also, if you get stuck at home, a google earth print out of your neighborhood showing all pool and pond locations could be a life saver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Recoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one piece in my bag that hasn't been mentioned yet. A pocket chainsaw. I've tried 2 or three different ones and there are so lame ones on the market, but there are some great ones out there. they don't take up a lot of room and do as good a job as an axe or hatchet. </div></div>

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback & ideas! Great stuff & it is much appreciated.

Regarding the pocket chainsaw, I wavered big time whether to try to include one. I opted for the 5 in 1 hatchet combo as it appeared to be a little more versitile & could be easier to use for a woman than a pocket chainsaw. Also, it is an interchangable saw & pick. Bottom line, I couldn't include everything even though it makes sense to throw in a lot of items that aren't on my existing list.

Making a universally "best" bug out pack is so regionally specific that I think it is pretty much impossible for me to setup/accessorize one that could include EVERYTHING you need. There are going to be items that would be critical to include for a guy in Florida that a Idaho resident would find completely useless...

With this being said, it looks like the most critical, universally needed items are a means to filter/purify water, a thermal blanket (for warmth/shelter), and a firestarter. Everything else, while useful & needed, are somewhat optional & region centric (this is also assuming that each user will individually include some amount of non perishable food)...

Check out NArescue for you med gear... I had this post awhile back for a GSW med kit but they do have everything you would need and they are great to deal with...The thread has a ton of good info also.
One more thing check out Mora knives they are cheap sharp and I have one in every one of my bags.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...385#Post2129385

Anyone mention a tourniquet yet, maybe a SAM splint? and for water purification, i'd prefer iodine tabs over bulky, time-consuming filters. It's gonna taste like shit either way. A strobe might be handy at night too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zhzl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone mention a tourniquet yet, maybe a SAM splint? and for water purification, i'd prefer iodine tabs over bulky, time-consuming filters. It's gonna taste like shit either way. A strobe might be handy at night too. </div></div>

agreed

I'm going to run the risk here of suggesting you might consider a "bug-IN" kit.

Meaning, if (more like when, and sooner than any of us think) the SHTF (or it's TEOTWAWKI, or we peak at the RAFOTRE American style), where is it you plan on going? Somewhere with blue skies, strawberry fields, a welcoming community willing to absorb the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of refugees fleeing from the overcrowded and undersupplied cities all willing to offer up their virgin daughters for the manly men who have succeeded in escaping and evading the ravenous hordes of zombies or urban american youths?

Just a suggestion, but have a back up plan in case the "locals" have preempted your plans by blowing bridges or blocked overpasses with disabled semi rigs.

You might just have to root right in and not bug out. Then what?

+1 on the money and more than you think you need. A real SHTF scenario is likely to involve a natural disaster which means no electricity for an extended period which equals no ATM's or anything else electric. I went without power in FL for 8 days once following a string of hurricanes. Without cash (and batteries) you're screwed.

A good mountain bike stashed away somewhere would be worth its weight in gold since getting fuel may be tough.

Throw in some superglue with your bandages, as it can be far more useful at times for the little nicks in life.

I'd even go so far as to say to nix some of the med supplies to create more space or lighten your load. Hell if you need a tourniquete you're already fucked and you can improvise one from parachord and piece of clothing.

Med Shears? You have a knife for fuck sake.
Splints? That's why God made tree branches

Use nature and what you have. Ask yourself the following question for each piece of kit...

Is there a way to improvise this item from something readily available in nature or something else I already have? And...can I eat/drink it, or use it to obtain food/water/shelter. Everything else is a luxury.

Now take all of that stuff and place it in a 55gal trash can liner. Not one of the cheap black plastic trash bags but the thicker mil clear plastic can liners. Twist and roll the top closed then secure with duct tape. Now stuff that in the pack. The plastic has numerous uses aside from keeping things protected and dry. The duct tape adds to the available amount you already have in the kit. Looks good to me though.

lomotil for diarrhea,that will dehydrate ya
Antiacid
antibiotics
small radio for news

is there a medical neddle and thread?

Ive been told if its a real bad cut the superglue want hold it.they say medical grade dermabond works,I keep the bottles of Band Aid Liquid Bandage in all my stuff.Being into drag cars and powerboating ya get cut up.Bumping a sharp prop will ruin your day.

Firearm

I would consider adding a small backup flashlight. Headlamps can break/fail and without light you're pretty much SOL in a survival situation. Doesn't have to be a $150 Surefire but something durable and reliable as a backup.

Might want to add at least some extra socks.

550 Cord - works wonders in the field for almost anything you want to tie up or tie down.

Depending on how dramatic the calamity is, even gold, or silver could become fairly worthless when people want food, or medicine more than gold. In those instances, I try to think about what would make for really good trading stock in a world where even gold or silver are fairly worthless.

1. 22 ammo and to a lesser extent other cartridges
2. water purification systems. We die really quickly without water.
3. medical supplies like antibiotics, pain meds, blood pressure medicine, sutures, injectable anesthetics like lidocaine/novocaine, bandages. Someone with a really hurting back would probably trade a rifle for a few vicodin.
4. toilet paper, and sanitary napkins, tampons. Imagine living with 3-4 females
who have been without toilet paper for 3 weeks...try telling them that your favorite rifle just can't be traded for a case of TP and tampons. Ugly thought, isn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on how dramatic the calamity is, even gold, or silver could become fairly worthless when people want food, or medicine more than gold. In those instances, I try to think about what would make for really good trading stock in a world where even gold or silver are fairly worthless.

3. medical supplies like antibiotics, pain meds, blood pressure medicine, sutures, injectable anesthetics like lidocaine/novocaine, bandages. Someone with a really hurting back would probably trade a rifle for a few vicodin.
who have been without toilet paper for 3 weeks...try telling them that your favorite rifle just can't be traded for a case of TP and tampons. Ugly thought, isn't it?
</div></div>
AMEN!!! Looks like I should consider retooling my kit.

My goal is to set one up for under $100.00. I'll play with some combos & see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Thanks so much for the help guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Money. You aren't going to have time to drop by the bank and wherever you go you'll eventually need it. Put in what you can. I'd also have a map going out 100 miles and phone numbers of large hotels going out in all directions at 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 miles. Above assumes more of an evacuation but that's a reasonable assumption. </div></div>

Ceylon, if you put Money in these kits, I will be sure to buy several. I am hoping your $99 go bag will have at least $100 stashed in side of it.

Haha, but all kidding aside, money would be a good thing to add to the bag once it is purchased. I also think some of the suggestions made here are good ideas and can be suggested buying for your customers. If a family of four are bugging out, that is four people who can all be carrying something. Comms bag, Food bag, Tools, etc.

Also, if I have to grab and go, my dog is coming with me (cats are on their own) so I need provisions for him. If your dog is large enough, they can carry their own gear. Good info here.

I got to thinking about this. Worst case scenario. If you live in the city your kinda screwed as far as being safe from looters and thieves go. No electricity,food sources,water sources but plenty of shelter. Better hit the stores fast and hard.

If your in the country the worry isn't as great but still there but mostly from the starving people after they have ransacked the city. We can at least still have water (providing you have a generator and a well) and most have a safe place to go for shelter to store food and weapons. Plus country people will have a few days to prepare before the hurt comes to them.

Not all will be ready in the country either...got too many city people that moved to the country that take freedom and life for granted and will be in the same boat as they used to be, actually they will hurt more cause now they are out in the open and don't have the numbers for support.

My survival bag consists of the bare needs...food (MRE's mostly,canned foods,dry foods),medicine(bandages,neo-sporin,needle and thread,iodine,peroxide),bathroom supplys (toilet paper,soap) ,water purification,rope,knife,guns and ammo (mostly .22 stuff) cheaper and readily available. EXTRAS are fuel for generator, battery's.

Not that this can all be hauled in a little pack but then again I don't plan on going no where.

Damn zombies anyhow.

I have 2 BOB's built . I operate on Pareto's principal and try and ad the 20% that will help me in 80 percent of the situations I might be faced with . While I would love to have an M4 , my sniper rifle and a couple of my favorite handguns I keep a .22 pistol in each of them . It might not be perfect but I can pack 200 rounds of ammo with no problem and while it may not be the end all for weapons it can do a lot of things well enough to keep me alive . A multi-tool also falls into this category , it may not be the best in every situation but its better than nothing in every situation . I check out the local pawnshops and buy quality multi-tools for 20 bucks or less and you can find decent little .22 revolvers for 150 bucks or less .

Just my .02

Couple things I have in mine I didnt see listed

Copies of Important documents
Money
Maps
Emergency Contacts Numbers
Clothes

My bag is built more toward the home fire,power outage, medical emrgancy type of disaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on how dramatic the calamity is, even gold, or silver could become fairly worthless when people want food, or medicine more than gold. In those instances, I try to think about what would make for really good trading stock in a world where even gold or silver are fairly worthless.

</div></div>
That is so true I have 3 women in the house and it would be a circus without tp and plugs

I think it would be perfect if you included about $2,000 in spending cash. Or a couple ounces of gold.
grin.gif

tag'd. not a question of if the SHTF, but when. alot of great ideas for putting together a good all around kit.

Good ideas. I need to put one together for the truck. My SHTF plan involves getting back here and bunkering up in the country. I don't usually work more than 20 miles from the house. I figure I could hump that fairly quick by sticking to back roads. I'd need something I could carry that could get me through 48 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it would be perfect if you included about $2,000 in spending cash. Or a couple ounces of gold.
grin.gif
</div></div>

yeah 1 ounce of gold should be fine if youve got it like that... and bring cash money if you need reusable toilet paper.