• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I saw something cool in the sky last night

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Last night I was out playing with my dogs and saw a chain of satellites go over. I thought it was probably the bunch that spaceX put up. It was.
Pretty cool. You can see them for yourself.

I was near California City, California in January and saw this flying around. It was pretty low, guessing 5,000 feet or less? and flying VERY slowly, making no sound I could hear.
virgin-galactic-white-knight-two-vss-enterprise-spaceship-pl.jpg
I had to look it up because I had no idea what it was. It didn't have the vehicle attached to the underside, looked like it was towing something. Just slowly flying big circles in the sky.

Reactions: theLBC
I have read that the sky will be so full of satellites in a decade or so that it will make amateur astronomy efforts in the backyard all but impossible. There are plans to visually cover the sky for internet coverage.

I have read that the sky will be so full of satellites in a decade or so that it will make amateur astronomy efforts in the backyard all but impossible. There are plans to visually cover the sky for internet coverage.
Thats sad.

Growing up in rural Virginia in the 50's I remember the sky so black you couldnt see your hand in front of your face. And the quiet. I miss that.

Thats sad.

Growing up in rural Virginia in the 50's I remember the sky so black you couldnt see your hand in front of your face. And the quiet. I miss that.
Same here growing up in coastal Oregon. I live in the exurbs in the south now, but the light pollution is so high that I cannot see any stars to the north when my son asked me to show him the North Star. He had to be content with me identifying a couple of planets to the east and west.

• Angry
Reactions: Maggot

The beauty of celestial objects in a natural night sky is Fucking Dead and to never return. It's already looks like total shit mess just in last 20+ years, with the amount of satellites set in a fixed position, and ones on the move. Also never seen so many super fast movers zipping across before in my life . I used to really enjoy looking at the Night Sky on No Moon nights with NV .

It really easy to see the pollution horde of fixed position G4 satellites in first couple hours after sunset, and couple hours before sunrise just with the naked eye because of their Unnatural pop with suns reflection.
SpaceX already dominated in number of artificial celestial bodies, and SpaceX projects, that it will launch 12,000 new satellites by 2027 .

NASA : 2021
..." More than 27,000 pieces of orbital debris, or “space junk,” are tracked by the Department of Defense’s global Space Surveillance Network (SSN) sensors."

-