• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I found my .223 Rem load

Pharmseller

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2021
Oregon
After trying to kill myself with 75 gr ELDM and TAC I had to go back to the drawing board. The Varget load that shot so well in other 1-8” Tikkas just didn’t do it for Varmint Kong. I have a big jug of Benchmark so I thought I’d give it a go.

I primed a bunch of twice-fired neck sized R-P cases and primed with CCI400 primers. I chronoed the max book load of 23.5 gr Benchmark at 75 F and got close to what the book said, high 2800 fps range, ES of 18. Brass looked good.

I loaded 4 rounds each starting at just barely off the lands, then shorter by 0.02”, for 6 seating depths, starting at 1.940”. I wanted to try more but the shoulder of the bullet went below the case mouth at 1.823”, so 1.840” was my stopping point.

I hit the range today and started with the shortest loads. If I found precision early I could shorten the longer loads, the opposite not so much.

The longer the cartridges got the better the precision. I was really happy with the next-to-last depth.

IMG_3302.jpeg

until I tried the longest cartridges.

IMG_3300.jpeg

I need to roll a few more to chrono and confirm but I’m pretty pleased.

P

I chronod this load today, but just 4 shots. Average was 2915, SD of 12, and ES of 30. Gives me a start, anyway.

When I use my chrono (Magnetospeed Sport) it seems the first shot is almost always faster than the others. Weird.

P

Group size…

image.jpg

image.jpg

And frustration……

These are with Noslers….notorious two groupers.

I've had good luck loading long with 223. Of course using a standard length magazine (AR's) only allows what it allows. Bought a PRI 10 rounder and modified the front. Fun to experiment with and I have some good loads that are as long as the mag well will allow. This a heavy bullet only thing though.

I use the slower powders and have never played with Benchmark. Your load looks good!

Pickup some 8208XBR

8208 is vaporware these days, as some have noted. A guy posted 18lbs of it in the PX a few days back but he was in GA. It took everything I had not to jump in the car for a 20hr road trip and a month on the couch to pick it all up! Benchmark isn’t much better…

I chronod this load today, but just 4 shots. Average was 2915, SD of 12, and ES of 30. Gives me a start, anyway.

When I use my chrono (Magnetospeed Sport) it seems the first shot is almost always faster than the others. Weird.

P
Try running a dry patch down the barrel before your next rounds thru the chronograph and see if that helps.

Try running a dry patch down the barrel before your next rounds thru the chronograph and see if that helps.

Will a Boresnake have the same effect?

Be advised I’m not cleaning between range excursions.

P

There is a decent amount of powder residue-fouling in your barrel which now has cooled and depending on climate absorbed moisture and possibly some slight oxidation
That can have an effect on the first round fired in your case the round is going faster. I am not saying this is absolutely going to correct this but have read and know LR shooters who dry patch to try to minimize the first round flyer this way.
From my experience if you had cleaned it with oil or any cleaner your first round is normally slower due to less friction lower pressure.