• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think that I want an 11.5” AR pistol

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
So, I have been shooting precision rifle rigs for the last several years and feel like I want to do some simple, practical shooting to break the monotony. I have a 16” barreled upper receiver for my AR, but I think that I want something more compact and maneuverable. I have a 9” CMMG .22 lr upper that I love for plinking, but I’d like something with a little more horsepower that is similar in handling. Shooting will be at steel plates from 25 yards to 100 using a red dot as the optic. I’m thinking an 8” plate at 50 yards shooting offhand would be fairly practical shooting.

In the pursuit of all of this, I’m looking for a 10.5” or 11.5” .223 Wylde chambered barrel for an upper build. I don’t need 1 MOA accuracy for this upper. I figure 2-3 MOA with bulk ammo would suffice. Can anyone recommend a barrel and buffer weight that would achieve this objective?

Thanks in advance.

Lou

And no, I didn’t see the post “where are all the 11.5” ar barrels” before posting this. My apologies to those offended when this occurs. I’m still interested in people’s opinions on the subject.

Why not just chop your 16” barrel down? Then form 1 SBR the lower. Done.

Hmmm......not a bad idea actually. The only thing keeping me from doing that would be that I want a 16” upper as well. The sunk cost plus the machine cost would add up to one expensive barrel for sure.

Just buy a 10.5" complete upper from PA or some other outfit. Done and probably cheaper. I've got a 10.5" pistol from Radical Firearms; I bought it from Primary Arms. Offhand shots at 50 yards are no problemo. Has been reliable.
Also, just so you know, if you have a pistol upper lurking in your safe, certain folks will want you to have a pistol lower to go with it. (Or an SBR lower w/ tax stamp.)

My SBR 10.5” suppressed is a PSA. Awesome setup and you can probably get into it for $550-$600. Mine was a pistol before i sbr’ed it and sold the brace

My 10.5 is a ballistic advantage with a carbine gas system. I just use a adjustable gas block with standard buffer and spring. Before the adjustable gas block I was way over gassed and would get carrier bounce and hammered the buffer. Had a 1-6x vortex and would 2 moa with the cheapest brass I could find.

Reactions: Money Waster
My 10.5 is a ballistic advantage with a carbine gas system. I just use a adjustable gas block with standard buffer and spring. Before the adjustable gas block I was way over gassed and would get carrier bounce and hammered the buffer. Had a 1-6x vortex and would 2 moa with the cheapest brass I could find.
Good info here. Thanks for that.

Just buy a 10.5" complete upper from PA or some other outfit. Done and probably cheaper. I've got a 10.5" pistol from Radical Firearms; I bought it from Primary Arms. Offhand shots at 50 yards are no problemo. Has been reliable.
Also, just so you know, if you have a pistol upper lurking in your safe, certain folks will want you to have a pistol lower to go with it. (Or an SBR lower w/ tax stamp.)
Indeed, I have the pistol lower with a brace configuration. I’m ok in that regard. I appreciate the advice.

I don't use adj. gas blocks.

I do use Noveske barrels for SBR's (they work and work well and you'll probably get that 1MOA anyway with good ammo) JP Ent FMOS BCG for reliability reasons and usually a H Buffer IIRC. Whichever one recommended on the buffer/caliber/barrel length chart. The Noveske bbl.'s come with a pinned gas block. Work fine suppressed or not.

Probably my most handy/useful overall rifle:

IMG_1289.JPG

I used the picture of it alongside a 9mm Tavor. That's another possible option (9mm, 5.56 or .300BLK, not as accurate as the AR though) and won't have to be SBR'd, get to keep the 16"bbl. and all it's good for. Tavor is a bad motherfucker provided you don't need tack driving performance.

If money is no issue: Knight's CQB

If you are building/buying: Don't spend a lot on a barrel designed to shoot effectively under 200 yards.

Scrap the Wylde and go 5.56. Red dot, light, sling. Great for drills, reloads, draw time...25-100 yards is covered; and I've no problem hitting 10" steel at 200 with an Aimpoint PRO.

I've got 3k thru my 11.5 I built, and contrarily, my interests are shifting to precision. Almost done with a Mk12 Mod 0 build.

If money is no issue: Knight's CQB

If you are building/buying: Don't spend a lot on a barrel designed to shoot effectively under 200 yards.

Scrap the Wylde and go 5.56. Red dot, light, sling. Great for drills, reloads, draw time...25-100 yards is covered; and I've no problem hitting 10" steel at 200 with an Aimpoint PRO.

I've got 3k thru my 11.5 I built, and contrarily, my interests are shifting to precision. Almost done with a Mk12 Mod 0 build.
You describe the exact kind of shooting that I will he doing. I’m not dumping precision shooting entirely though. I just think that this style of shooting would be more fun for the family. I have 4 kids and am trying to keep shooting fun for them.

Thanks for the link and advice on chambering. I will take it into consideration.

Lou

Reactions: CrowCommand
Do it! 11.5" here. I felt like it was a good compromise between the 10.5" and 12.5", though if I did it today I would probably go 12.5" with a shorter muzzle device - the VG6 is loud! It usually has an Aimpoint and Streamlight, but I put the 1-4x on it for fun and I liked it more than I expected to.

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_123115.jpg
    IMG_20191101_123115.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20191031_113719.jpg
    IMG_20191031_113719.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 703
Go for it, I have a few short uppers. Two SBR lowers, and one pistol lower to play hokey pokey with.

10.5 inch 300 BO
10.5 inch 223
7.5 inch 7.62x39
4.5 inch 9mm

Go for it, I have a few short uppers. Two SBR lowers, and one pistol lower to play hokey pokey with.

10.5 inch 300 BO
10.5 inch 223
7.5 inch 7.62x39
4.5 inch
My current inventory of SBR uppers includes a 9” .22 lr, a 4.5” .22 lr and a 10” 9mm. I love them. They are very practical for 200 and in.

Lou

My current inventory of SBR uppers includes a 9” .22 lr, a 4.5” .22 lr and a 10” 9mm. I love them. They are very practical for 200 and in.

Lou
How do you like the 22 upppers? I have been thinking about getting a 4.5 or 9 upper. Do you have a preference for one over the other?

How do you like the 22 upppers? I have been thinking about getting a 4.5 or 9 upper. Do you have a preference for one over the other?
I literally just put the 4.5” upper together and have no range time with it as of yet. The 9” is pretty decent, and I run it with a Lupold LPVO. I typically set up a 6” plate at 25 and a 10” Plate at 50 and shoot offhand. It works great for that. I built the 4.5” just to see how it compared in terms of quickness in target acquisition. If I like it I’m going to build a 4” upper for my 9mm with a Quarter Circle 10 lower.

Lou

Same thoughts here with a dedicated 22 upper. Short range fun toy, I have my bolt rifle for longer range 22LR fun. Would be interested to hear what you think about the 4.5 inch upper once you have a chance to get it hot if you don’t mind.

4.5 inch 9mm is a blast to shoot. I can’t count the thousands of rounds I’ve put through mine over the years. I officially SBRd it in 2012 or 13 and it was my range bitch forever after I moved to NC until I found some longer range to stretch the big guns.

Same thoughts here with a dedicated 22 upper. Short range fun toy, I have my bolt rifle for longer range 22LR fun. Would be interested to hear what you think about the 4.5 inch upper once you have a chance to get it hot if you don’t mind.
Absolutely. I’ll let you know. FWIW.....I have a Vudoo with an MTU contour and a 16” JP Precision .22 lr upper, and the JP precision rig is not that far off from the Vudoo. It is a legit sub MOA 10 shot rifle at 50 yards with CCI SV. The 9” upper is a CMMG, and it is a bit behind the JP Precision barrel. Granted, the scope on the JP rig is quite a bit better (10x SWFA SS vs. 4x on the Lupold), but there still is no comparison. I actually just talked my buddy into building an upper with the JP barrel and BCG. If you want a cheap shooting 16” .22 lr AR, the JP Match kit is a good buy.

Lou

@roostercogburn98 - I have a 4.5” 22 upper I put together.
i probably have about 400 rounds through it, just waiting for some paperwork and it will be sssshhhhhh too!

its a hoot. I have only had the chance to run it to 25 yds as fire bans and shooting bans in our CO mtns have kept me from my friends private range to stretch her out a tad.
I am currently running a CMC 3.5 lb trigger in the lower it goes on and doubles and triples make you giggle..... a lot

Reactions: roostercogburn98
@powdahound76 and @Money Waster, if you remember and don’t mind sharing. Where and what pats did you source for one? I got a few shooshers and they don’t mind sharing a home with new members.

I used a BCM blem upper.

I went with a CMMG 4.5” barrel/bolt combo and black dog mags, which I ordered directly from black dog. Very affordable and reports show they work better than the CMMG copy of them.

These guys for parts:

Having ordered from them a couple times now, I would again in a heart beat.

I bought a HG off here used. 8” which will give my can just a little protrusion
Just has a vortex SPARC AR on it, also off here used.

FWIW... consider a 9x19 Upper and Endo Mags. ( No conversion block needed ... so swapping uppers is easier. )

Slightly cheaper to run then a .223 /5.56 ammo cost wise. We all know how fast kids can go through ammo.

Muzzle blast is considerably lower with a 9x19... enough that my 16" with a Lantac muzzle brake does not have enough gas for the brake to make any difference.

A 9x19 upper will have about the same trajectory as a 22LR upper.... Put a cost effective Red dot on it and let the kids have fun.... add a Red Dot QD magnifier if desired.

As for a 11.5" .223 / 5.56 upper... a PSA upper will be a good bet.

MAKE SURE you buy one with a " muzzle device that is designed to direct muzzle gases and the muzzle flash forward. "

The muzzle blast from 11.5" ish +/- uppers can be crazy annoying.... and "if" this ever going to be a truck firearm... you will want that muzzle blast to be directed out of the cab.

All that said... make sure to watch for any July 4th sales.

If it’s just for fun buy a palmetto complete upper with BCG. Super cheap, decent quality. I got a 7.5” 300blk upper and it runs great so far. If you want it for self defense get something higher end maybe just get a compete seekins sp15 pistol for around $925. They make excellent rifles for the money. Put a kaw valley muzzle device on it for like $45 to direct all the flash and concussion forward to help out with not blowing out your ears or something similar!

@powdahound76 and @Money Waster, if you remember and don’t mind sharing. Where and what pats did you source for one? I got a few shooshers and they don’t mind sharing a home with new members.
I actually bought the “Right to Bear” .22 lr kit along with their upper receiver. I asked and they said that their branded product is actually CMMG manufactured equipment. They are not off-spec components. I have been thoroughly satisfied with the fit, finish and performance. The rifle runs like a sewing machine, and I have yet to have a failure to feed or extract over what’s probably 800 rounds through it at this point with CCI SV.

I just shot my 9” upper yesterday at some steel and it is just a blast. For plinking fun I don’t think that you can beat these pistol length .22 lr uppers.

Lou

Last edited:
PSA has some pistol kits left in stock. Not my kind of toy, but I have thought of one for the fun of it. I wouldnt do the SBR stamp unless forced.

I have a 11.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel paired with a Geissle Super 42 Spring and H2 buffer. Smooth and near perfect recoil impulse. And it's a sub-MOA guaranteed barrel for under $140.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
I run 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5” barrels. I think you’ll be happy with any of them as they all work just fine with adjustable gas even with suppressors. The only reason why I would chose the longer short barrel is to get slightly more rail to grab ahold of and slightly more rail space for lasers and shit.

11.5 is a happy middle ground. Enough barrel for velocity and rail space for accessories etc