• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think we're going to get a GSD for the family. Not 100% decided yet, but close.

AmmoFort

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2023
Montana
When I was really young before my parents divorced I had a Samoyed and a GSD. I was told they were stolen, but who knows what that means. I always suspected they developed some sort of problems and unfortunately took bullets. After that we had a blue heeler and then mutts. One of the mutts was GSD and I'm pretty sure heeler. We grew up in town and had a okay sized yard, but not enough room for the 3 dogs that we would have at a time. None of them ever received any real training. But we never had any problems with them.

Roommates had dogs later in life, but I didn't make any forays back into dog owning until I met my wife. She had miniature dogs which was a trip to me. Loved them. When we moved to Montana we gave our last inherited mini barker to a friend before we left (had to move into to a rental for a while). My children have been begging for a new pooch for the last 2+ years. Been talking about it the whole time off and on, just trying to figure out the best timing, and we're finally just going to say fuck it and hit send.

Some folks up the valley from us that we know breed GSD's. They have a young family as well and they say the dogs fit in with their family perfectly. So all good on that point. My wife had an Airedale when she was young, but most of her dogs have been tiny little yip yaps. We have 4 children: about 8 months, almost 3 years, 5, and 8. I've impressed upon my wife that she and the girls will have to train the dog/s. The way I figure it is I will have my 2 daughters (8 and 5) do the bulk of the training during the week. I'll quietly coach them while they relay to the dog. Then the wife will mix in on weekends, maybe walks at night when she can swing it. I just want to avoid a situation where the dog only wants to listen to Dad.

I'm not too awful worried about any serious training. I just want the dog to protect my children. That is the main goal of bringing the dog into our family in both mine and Momma's eyes. We live on the edge of the Bitterroot National Forest and the forest comes right up to our property. A month or so ago I finally parked on the other side of the valley and showed my wife where we live. I said "you see that range? That's all National forest and the animals that own it. You see that spot there on the edge of the trees? That's us. Of course the animals can go wherever they want and people spot them in the valley all the time. But babe, all they do is walk out of the woods into the land that I cleared and they are right there with us." Finally fucking clicked for her. Derp.

We have 10 acres that we plan to make a small homestead out of eventually, but it has been pretty slow going. I'm doing the best I can, but it's a lot for one guy to do on raw land with a young family. The likelihood of a wild critter attacking my people is probably lower than them having to dirt nap a rabid satanic commie fuck sometime in their lives, but I'd still like them to have an edge if the need ever arose. And that's where the GSD comes in. We both like the idea of a Great Pyrenees, and we'll probably add one later when appropriate, but I think starting with a GSD might work out better for us.

I'm really just looking for some GSD love and confirmation, but give me what ya got. And if anyone has any dog training tips videos, books, you name it I'd appreciate them.

ETA: Just brought him home.
IMG_4339.jpeg

Last edited:
@BLKWLFK9 had a couple good podcast episodes on dogs. You sound like you're going about it with pretty good thinking.

There have been a few other good threads on dogs over the years. The posters that know better will likely chime in.

I'm not too awful worried about any serious training. I just want the dog to protect my children. That is the main goal of bringing the dog into our family in both mine and Momma's eyes. We live on the edge of the Bitterroot National Forest and the forest comes right up to our property. A month or so ago I finally parked on the other side of the valley and showed my wife where we live. I said "you see that range? That's all National forest and the animals that own it. You see that spot there on the edge of the trees? That's us. Of course the animals can go wherever they want and people spot them in the valley all the time. But babe, all they do is walk out of the woods into the land that I cleared and they are right there with us." Finally fucking clicked for her. Derp.
When I said the above I didn't mean trained to defend my children as a 'working dog'. All I want is the dog to have the instinct to protect my kids from wild life. Listening to the podcast right now and my experience with a bunch of little dogs is not the same as his. Growing up my medium to largish sized dogs were better at alerting us to abnormal situations.

I have no intention of doing decoy or bite training.

The GSD was first used as a working dog in the mountainous pastures of Germany, where herders needed an agile and competent dog to guard their sheep. This dog stood out as the most agile, intelligent, and faithful dog among other breeds, which were also used in this capacity.
So the 'work' I'd expect it to do is look after my children (companionship). We'll be adding livestock over time as well. I was not however thinking that a dog we didn't start training to look after live stock would take to it later in its life.

I think he's more focused on people, and I'm focused on animals. 4 legged vs. 2.

Brother I don't think a GSD is really what is going to make your life better. They are a ton of work, every single day. They are a huge commitment unlike many other breeds. As a working breed, they need a lot of exercise. I take mine for a 10 mile run almost every day and she comes home and immediately grabs a tennis ball and wants to continue playing. That 10 miles is nothing for her.

As amazing as she is, her dominance and strength overpowers most people and she begins to control them. You don't need a harsh or aggressive hand at all to counter this, but it does need to be countered and leaving two children to assume the leadership role in training a gsd is just asking for issues.

Maybe just consider getting a Labrador or something similar. They have their issues like any dog, but they are pretty hard to mess up, unlike a GSD which really needs an experienced trainer in its life.

There is a reason so many German shepherd get turned into shelters each year, and its usually because people go in with the best of intentions, things get out of hand little by little, and all of a sudden a bunch of small problems have turned into a giant mess and the once good idea has turned into a nightmare, people are arguing, stress in the home has gone way up, and if that damn dog just wasn't here everything would be so much better...and people get rid of the dog they shouldn't have gotten in the first place.

In regards to the dog defending your children against wildlife, I think a Labrador or any breed would absolutely defend them. I don't think you need to have a "protection" dog for that.

Congratulations of the land purchase, I wish you and your family much happiness and many adventures :)

We own 3GSD currently, have owned 4 total. All females.

We live in rural Arkansas with the Ouachita National Forest out my back door.

Dogs are very territorial, they set up a property perimeter of about 5 acres and constantly patrol it. To the point you can see their path. Nothing happens without them noticing it. We walk this path every morning as exercise and to see what's been going on at night. They love this.

They require constant exercise and training. Very energetic. Very watchful, INCREDIBLY PROTECTIVE! When a car comes up the driveway, they literally surround it like sharks in the water. People seldom just get out, they wait for wife or I to appear.

I can't believe how smart and intuitive they are after 20 years of ownership. They hate not being with you and display separation anxiety.

For us, they are the perfect companions. Loveable, big babies, yet would fight to the death to protect us. I strongly suggest you get at least two as they will entertain themselves.

If you are thinking you can pawn training off on the kids, forget it. They seek out and respond to the dominant one of the house. Protecting the kids is just a natural for them.

Tagging in but just for the info. My wife keeps bugging for a golden which I have no problem with. But if we get a dog I would like to get a breed that offers some protection for my kids and the other kids on our cul-de-sac

Reactions: diverdon
20150726-P7260112.jpg

From this....
IMG_3670.jpeg

To this

Best dogs ever but as stated before require a LOT of attention. You have to give them a job. Gunter (above) has primary job of keeping an eye on the front door and alerting of any intruders. Secondary job is to keep up with a tennis ball at ALL times.

Just know what you are getting to.

We have the GSD, Gunter and a Golden Retriever. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. The GSD is all business. He likes to be with the family, but doesn't like for you to mess with him. The Golden Retriever on the other hand can not be pet enough, but will show robbers the family jewels for a belly rub

Our Anatolian kills everything that comes in the yard. Currently she lets a fox live rent free in her head 24/7. She loves us but she worries about the chickens that can’t defend themselves. I’m not sure it’s the right fit for a family dog but they are great LGD with zero training.

Brother I don't think a GSD is really what is going to make your life better. They are a ton of work, every single day. They are a huge commitment unlike many other breeds. As a working breed, they need a lot of exercise. I take mine for a 10 mile run almost every day and she comes home and immediately grabs a tennis ball and wants to continue playing. That 10 miles is nothing for her.

As amazing as she is, her dominance and strength overpowers most people and she begins to control them. You don't need a harsh or aggressive hand at all to counter this, but it does need to be countered and leaving two children to assume the leadership role in training a gsd is just asking for issues.

Maybe just consider getting a Labrador or something similar. They have their issues like any dog, but they are pretty hard to mess up, unlike a GSD which really needs an experienced trainer in its life.

There is a reason so many German shepherd get turned into shelters each year, and its usually because people go in with the best of intentions, things get out of hand little by little, and all of a sudden a bunch of small problems have turned into a giant mess and the once good idea has turned into a nightmare, people are arguing, stress in the home has gone way up, and if that damn dog just wasn't here everything would be so much better...and people get rid of the dog they shouldn't have gotten in the first place.

In regards to the dog defending your children against wildlife, I think a Labrador or any breed would absolutely defend them. I don't think you need to have a "protection" dog for that.

Congratulations of the land purchase, I wish you and your family much happiness and many adventures :)
10-4 on the Lab. Playful, sometimes a bit lazy, but will fight to the death to protect you. Our farm had a coyote problem. Well no, our farm did NOT have a coyote problem, everyone else had a coyote problem, our Lab kept em on the run. Never bothered anything on our farm.

Our son could ride him like a horse, never a bit of trouble. Let trouble come into the yard (Once it did) our Lab, though aging did not try to keep him in his vehicle. HE BEGGED Him to get out. He was that vicious. (Towards the perp) But, when trouble was gone, he would huddle right up to oru 5 year old, as friendly as can be.

As said, I vote for a Lab anyway, any day.

Any dog takes work. GSDs are very trainable and smart.

And very tough. So, train them with a clicker and R+. This will do more wonders than trying to wrestle them to the ground or speak in stern terms.

In short, let's say that the dog pees on the floor of the house. You get upset and command the dog come to you. Then you bang him on the snout. You think you punished him for peeing in the wrong place when really, you punished him for coming to you. Next time, he may not be so quick.

If you use a punishment, the dog has to see a punishment and link it to the behavior you want stopped. However, they do work for rewards. That being said, likewise, the dog needs to see the reward as a good thing and link it to the behavior that you want repeated.

Different things can be a reward. I knew a few people that trained K-9s. They train with tug on a towel as a reward instead of food.

Reactions: AmmoFort

I forgot to mention that we home school and I am home with them pretty much 24/7. I get along with most dogs, or maybe they get along with me, however you want to look at it. But I've met more asshole labs than GSD's. Non scientifically, our mutts all came from the pound, as puppies that tended to the older side and we didn't have many issues. Including the GSD mix. Maybe we just got lucky with dogs? Having said that I briefly considered adopting and I just can't take a complete strangers unknown dog into our home.

Hmm well this won't be a good look, but there was one pretty big oddball incident with our GSD mix as a kid. I was walking with him and he tried to rip a guys throat out in the park. Only time I ever saw him do anything abnormal. Guy was jogging towards us and the dog went from my right and shot up and over to my left in front of me. I dove right and jerked him away from this joggers throat just in time. Guy barely blinked. Just had a blank stare. I don't remember what I said or if I said anything, but I thought it was weird as hell that the jogger had nothing at all too say. I always thought after that the guy must have been a serial killer or something. Dog never did anything remotely like that before or after. 100% one off. We lived near by a big park and he had had countless joggers and bicyclists pass by him in the exact same manner. He never tried to bite anyone at the door or anything. Growled at certain people, which never seemed to have any rhyme or reason attached to it.

There is obviously more risk with a GSD than with a golden retriever. And also the golden retriever's I met while they were all super sweet I wonder if they would offer any wild life deterrence other than their scent. We oddly haven't crossed a golden off the list. I would feel a little better about my kids playing in the woods and being out of my eyesight in general if a GSD was with them vs. a golden. They are pretty much never out of my eye sight right now. Or at least they are not supposed to be. It's a constant battle. Especially with my 3 year old. If we are blessed with 10 years of companionship from a GSD I think that would be time well spent.

I won't sit here and say no other dog will be a good fit for us, but this does make a little sense. I really don't think I'm coming at this from a completely emotional and illogical view point. I'm certainly trying not to.

We own 3GSD currently, have owned 4 total. All females.

We live in rural Arkansas with the Ouachita National Forest out my back door.

Dogs are very territorial, they set up a property perimeter of about 5 acres and constantly patrol it. To the point you can see their path. Nothing happens without them noticing it. We walk this path every morning as exercise and to see what's been going on at night. They love this.

They require constant exercise and training. Very energetic. Very watchful, INCREDIBLY PROTECTIVE! When a car comes up the driveway, they literally surround it like sharks in the water. People seldom just get out, they wait for wife or I to appear.

I can't believe how smart and intuitive they are after 20 years of ownership. They hate not being with you and display separation anxiety.

For us, they are the perfect companions. Loveable, big babies, yet would fight to the death to protect us. I strongly suggest you get at least two as they will entertain themselves.

If you are thinking you can pawn training off on the kids, forget it.
They seek out and respond to the dominant one of the house. Protecting the kids is just a natural for them.
I have been thinking about getting two. I think starting with one and getting a good base line established would be better than jumping into 2 puppies.

Training won't be pawned off on the kids, as I'm with them all the time. If I'm not directly with my children then I am working on something here on the property and my wife is with them. So really at first my kids will be learning from me how to train the pup and then we can hopefully transition quickly into them training the pup. Maybe it won't look exactly as I'm envisioning it, but the hope is the dog will learn to take commands from all of us rather than just me. They will be training the dog every day under my supervision. Perhaps it's just getting the dog to do the same thing for them that it just did for me. I don't know? I was hoping to find a good training book/s.

Growing up our dogs were not trained. They knew how to do silly shit. Sit. Stay. Come. Run away when we leave the gate open. I'm going to do much better.

Reading your story, I would think you are talking about another breed . :rolleyes:

Our Anatolian kills everything that comes in the yard. Currently she lets a fox live rent free in her head 24/7. She loves us but she worries about the chickens that can’t defend themselves. I’m not sure it’s the right fit for a family dog but they are great LGD with zero training.
Only met a handful of Anatolians, seemed like good dogs.

When I was really young before my parents divorced I had a Samoyed and a GSD. I was told they were stolen, but who knows what that means. I always suspected they developed some sort of problems and unfortunately took bullets. After that we had a blue heeler and then mutts. One of the mutts was GSD and I'm pretty sure heeler. We grew up in town and had a okay sized yard, but not enough room for the 3 dogs that we would have at a time. None of them ever received any real training. But we never had any problems with them.

Roommates had dogs later in life, but I didn't make any forays back into dog owning until I met my wife. She had miniature dogs which was a trip to me. Loved them. When we moved to Montana we gave our last inherited mini barker to a friend before we left (had to move into to a rental for a while). My children have been begging for a new pooch for the last 2+ years. Been talking about it the whole time off and on, just trying to figure out the best timing, and we're finally just going to say fuck it and hit send.

Some folks up the valley from us that we know breed GSD's. They have a young family as well and they say the dogs fit in with their family perfectly. So all good on that point. My wife had an Airedale when she was young, but most of her dogs have been tiny little yip yaps. We have 4 children: about 8 months, almost 3 years, 5, and 8. I've impressed upon my wife that she and the girls will have to train the dog/s. The way I figure it is I will have my 2 daughters (8 and 5) do the bulk of the training during the week. I'll quietly coach them while they relay to the dog. Then the wife will mix in on weekends, maybe walks at night when she can swing it. I just want to avoid a situation where the dog only wants to listen to Dad.

We have 10 acres that we plan to make a small homestead out of eventually, but it has been pretty slow going. I'm doing the best I can, but it's a lot for one guy to do on raw land with a young family. The likelihood of a wild critter attacking my people is probably lower than them having to dirt nap a rabid satanic commie fuck sometime in their lives, but I'd still like them to have an edge if the need ever arose. And that's where the GSD comes in. We both like the idea of a Great Pyrenees, and we'll probably add one later when appropriate, but I think starting with a GSD might work out better for us.

I'm really just looking for some GSD love and confirmation, but give me what ya got. And if anyone has any dog training tips videos, books, you name it I'd appreciate them.
I just wanted to post about how jealous I am that you live in Montana bordering the Bitterroot National Forest.

Reactions: nikerret
10-4 on the Lab. Playful, sometimes a bit lazy, but will fight to the death to protect you. Our farm had a coyote problem. Well no, our farm did NOT have a coyote problem, everyone else had a coyote problem, our Lab kept em on the run. Never bothered anything on our farm.

Our son could ride him like a horse, never a bit of trouble. Let trouble come into the yard (Once it did) our Lab, though aging did not try to keep him in his vehicle. HE BEGGED Him to get out. He was that vicious. (Towards the perp) But, when trouble was gone, he would huddle right up to oru 5 year old, as friendly as can be.

As said, I vote for a Lab anyway, any day.
Last summer I watched some coyotes try to call the neighbors dogs out with my thermals. I've heard them do that through out my life. But it was creepy watching them do it. I had walked down to the end of the private drive and they were about 500 yards out.

Rescue dogs are the only way to fly. If intent on a specific breed- there are breed specific rescue groups.

I just wanted to post about how jealous I am that you live in Montana bordering the Bitterroot National Forest.
You wouldn't be if I laid the whole damn thing on you! But we do love it here and feel pretty dang blessed. LOL. It is absolutely not all sunshine and roses! But it's better than a bunch of other options.

Reactions: Mcrider55
Rescue dogs are the only way to fly. If intent on a specific breed- there are breed specific rescue groups.
I have no experience in the rescue realm. Like the guy talked about in the podcasts in the second post above? I'm leery of taking on others projects. My wife and I talked about this last night. It would be one thing to take on a dog we spent 3 days a week with for a month vs. a "here, this is a good dog, good luck."

Reactions: kindabitey
I have no experience in the rescue realm. Like the guy talked about in the podcasts in the second post above? I'm leery of taking on others projects. My wife and I talked about this last night. It would be one thing to take on a dog we spent 3 days a week with for a month vs. a "here, this is a good dog, good luck."
Don't take on a risk like a rescue shepherd . If it's damaged in any way you may never fix it, stubborn animals. If you get one as a pup, you will have no problems training it. They take a little work at first, but the rewards of a shepherd are well worth it . You won't have to train it to protect either, ask any owner that has experience with them .

Reactions: diverdon
You have a few flaws in your thinking here, "training".

Biggest one is a 5 and 8 yr old are going to train a dog. That is not going to happen, not even the most basic level like house training.

Now I don't know if I do the house training thing "right" but I do know it works. And it works to the point if they need an over night stay at a vet inside a kennel they will not eliminate inside the kennel, they will wait to be taken outside. The vet staff ALWAYS comments on this. So I must be doing something right.

The puppy is put in a fairly small kennel at night and when not being "worked with". Going outside is something that happens at roughly half hour intervals. Accidents do happen, a hard NO, and right outside. Even "stupid" dogs pick up on this fairly quick. At night the kennel should just be long enough for the dog to lay out in. He will not want to "go" there and will cry. Up and outside, followed by good dogs, you make a huge fuss, that pup just laid you a golden egg so act like it. In 30min get ready to do it all over again. As he grows you can give him more crate. Most crates have a divider you can section off to not let him have too much space, give him to much space and you will have accidents. Soon you will be able to have him in a small "fenced" in area inside. I would suggest your bedroom so you can hear him. I have found that those bath rugs with the rubber bottoms are great for this stage of training, again accidents will happen we are still training. If you hear them move you are letting them out side, soon you will learn a normal shift and an I NEED TO GO. You will not sleep much....remember newborn, yea that is where you are.

Eventually it will get to the point where you can let them have the run of the house.

If at night and if the "big" one needs to go out she will come up to the side of the bed and "push" on the edge, at 95lbs she will move the entire bed. You get up. At this stage you are ALMOST there, you are still going out every two hours and this gets old quick. You say Willow go back to bed, push push push, WILLOW go to bed, and she will go back and lay down. If she is up again she really needs to go, but now she sleeps through the night. Congrats your dog is now house trained after two full years. Mind you in a year and a half we have not had an accident in the house unless she is sick. She got a pretty bad UTI after she got fixed and the meds tore her stomach up something horrid. That is not her fault, but I will not get another dog fixed in the dead of winter when you can't open a window. Lucky she will go in the basement at times like this, I have zero idea why. That is the only accident she has had aside of the puke here and there. I guess if you eat enough deer poo it can upset your stomach. Some things you just can't train out.

Now do you really think this sounds like a job for a 5 and 8 year old.

Like I said, perhaps there is a "better" way to do it, but I have no plans on changing my way. This has worked for every dog in my adult life. I have never smacked a dog, but I have tackled them rolled them upside down and pounded my fist next to them while yelling at them. Never hit them....EVER.

Protect the kids.....

Well maybe yes, maybe no. Every dog is his own personality.

Do you remember the story and video, we had it linked here but I am too lazy to look for it. The guy in Israel that fended off the hamas terrs. with just a hand gun. He had a big dog and thought it would be protection, it was a big chicken. Unless you go to a specific place that trains for that, and the washout rate is quite high as it does take a special type of animal you have not promise that your dog will guard anyone or any thing.

When my last border was a pup, the wife had him outside. He is a little puppy, 4 months perhaps. I am out back and want to come in through the front door. Puppy is off leash as if he decided to run for it we can still catch him. I am walking around the house, in the dark, sticks bust, leaves rustle the puppy gives a little Grrr. Wife does nothing she knows its me. We want to see what the dog will do. I get a little closer, now I am playing the game as well. I can hear the Grr. I peak around the bushes, I see him and he sees me, I duck back. Then peak again.....boom he is off and after me. Barking and growling the entire way. He gets about 3' away finds out it is me and starts waging the tail so hard the dog falls over. What a good boy.

The current big dog, that 95lb monster, same game. Only this time she just stood her ground and looked, she did not advance. I bounce around the corner and she takes off running in the other direction. Ok we know your personality now. Only once in a blue moon will she give her, I will tear your head off bark. If you have dogs you know the different barks they have, and the one that is WOW she really does not like that.

She is just not that kind of dog, but she is the biggest sweetie there is.

You have a few flaws in your thinking here, "training".

Biggest one is a 5 and 8 yr old are going to train a dog. That is not going to happen, not even the most basic level like house training.

Now I don't know if I do the house training thing "right" but I do know it works. And it works to the point if they need an over night stay at a vet inside a kennel they will not eliminate inside the kennel, they will wait to be taken outside. The vet staff ALWAYS comments on this. So I must be doing something right.

The puppy is put in a fairly small kennel at night and when not being "worked with". Going outside is something that happens at roughly half hour intervals. Accidents do happen, a hard NO, and right outside. Even "stupid" dogs pick up on this fairly quick. At night the kennel should just be long enough for the dog to lay out in. He will not want to "go" there and will cry. Up and outside, followed by good dogs, you make a huge fuss, that pup just laid you a golden egg so act like it. In 30min get ready to do it all over again. As he grows you can give him more crate. Most crates have a divider you can section off to not let him have too much space, give him to much space and you will have accidents. Soon you will be able to have him in a small "fenced" in area inside. I would suggest your bedroom so you can hear him. I have found that those bath rugs with the rubber bottoms are great for this stage of training, again accidents will happen we are still training. If you hear them move you are letting them out side, soon you will learn a normal shift and an I NEED TO GO. You will not sleep much....remember newborn, yea that is where you are.

Eventually it will get to the point where you can let them have the run of the house.

If at night and if the "big" one needs to go out she will come up to the side of the bed and "push" on the edge, at 95lbs she will move the entire bed. You get up. At this stage you are ALMOST there, you are still going out every two hours and this gets old quick. You say Willow go back to bed, push push push, WILLOW go to bed, and she will go back and lay down. If she is up again she really needs to go, but now she sleeps through the night. Congrats your dog is now house trained after two full years. Mind you in a year and a half we have not had an accident in the house unless she is sick. She got a pretty bad UTI after she got fixed and the meds tore her stomach up something horrid. That is not her fault, but I will not get another dog fixed in the dead of winter when you can't open a window. Lucky she will go in the basement at times like this, I have zero idea why. That is the only accident she has had aside of the puke here and there. I guess if you eat enough deer poo it can upset your stomach. Some things you just can't train out.

Now do you really think this sounds like a job for a 5 and 8 year old.

Like I said, perhaps there is a "better" way to do it, but I have no plans on changing my way. This has worked for every dog in my adult life. I have never smacked a dog, but I have tackled them rolled them upside down and pounded my fist next to them while yelling at them. Never hit them....EVER.
I left a ton of small details out. I have done potty training in a similar fashion. No my girls won’t be waking up every few hours to let the dog out of the kennel, and or other enclosed area. Had a family friend that trained their dog to go in a sand box outback. Always thought that was a good idea. Figured I might try that. Outside is outside, but if I can get the dog/s, to go in a giant litter box…why not.

I have been thinking about getting two. I think starting with one and getting a good base line established would be better than jumping into 2 puppies.

Training won't be pawned off on the kids, as I'm with them all the time. If I'm not directly with my children then I am working on something here on the property and my wife is with them. So really at first my kids will be learning from me how to train the pup and then we can hopefully transition quickly into them training the pup. Maybe it won't look exactly as I'm envisioning it, but the hope is the dog will learn to take commands from all of us rather than just me. They will be training the dog every day under my supervision. Perhaps it's just getting the dog to do the same thing for them that it just did for me. I don't know? I was hoping to find a good training book/s.

Growing up our dogs were not trained. They knew how to do silly shit. Sit. Stay. Come. Run away when we leave the gate open. I'm going to do much better.
As crazy as this sounds to some people, when the dogs have another companion, things go much smoother. They direct their energy into playing with each other and not eating your furniture. We've never gotten any of the dogs from the same breeder. Plan on this, the dogs will bond to you as the primary. When you are outside working, and they LOVE the outdoors, they will be with you because their protective instinct kicks in. The kids will immediately become those who they also bond with and protect.

To this day, with all of our dogs, when I jokingly raise my hand like I am going to hit my wife, and I've never hit her, I have all three of them between me and her, facing me as the threat. It's a natural instinct of theirs. I damn sure don't want to know what they would do if I did and I'm not ever wanting to find out.

Our newest is just a year old, and she weighed 90 lbs. We figure she will top out at about 110 like the other two. This is one hell of a warning to those who might think of doing wrong to you or your property.

One more thing. They make the cutest damned puppies you have ever seen.

Also. You want dogs with papers. Not about bragging rights but it helps to make sure the animal doesn't have a history of hip dysplasia which can cripple an animal. Nothing will break your heart more than to watch your best friend suffer from it in later years.

Attachments

• 20160920_143854.jpg
    20160920_143854.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 21
Protect the kids.....

Well maybe yes, maybe no. Every dog is his own personality.

Do you remember the story and video, we had it linked here but I am too lazy to look for it. The guy in Israel that fended off the hamas terrs. with just a hand gun. He had a big dog and thought it would be protection, it was a big chicken. Unless you go to a specific place that trains for that, and the washout rate is quite high as it does take a special type of animal you have not promise that your dog will guard anyone or any thing.

When my last border was a pup, the wife had him outside. He is a little puppy, 4 months perhaps. I am out back and want to come in through the front door. Puppy is off leash as if he decided to run for it we can still catch him. I am walking around the house, in the dark, sticks bust, leaves rustle the puppy gives a little Grrr. Wife does nothing she knows its me. We want to see what the dog will do. I get a little closer, now I am playing the game as well. I can hear the Grr. I peak around the bushes, I see him and he sees me, I duck back. Then peak again.....boom he is off and after me. Barking and growling the entire way. He gets about 3' away finds out it is me and starts waging the tail so hard the dog falls over. What a good boy.

The current big dog, that 95lb monster, same game. Only this time she just stood her ground and looked, she did not advance. I bounce around the corner and she takes off running in the other direction. Ok we know your personality now. Only once in a blue moon will she give her, I will tear your head off bark. If you have dogs you know the different barks they have, and the one that is WOW she really does not like that.

She is just not that kind of dog, but she is the biggest sweetie there is.
Out here it’s the inverse of living in the city to my way of thinking. In the city I am mostly concerned with what the 2 legged predators are doing. Out here they are way down on the list. I’m only really worried about those at night when my kids are safely tucked in their beds and I’m out larping with my super powers.

I left a ton of small details out. I have done potty training in a similar fashion. No my girls won’t be waking up every few hours to let the dog out of the kennel, and or other enclosed area. Had a family friend that trained their dog to go in a sand box outback. Always thought that was a good idea. Figured I might try that. Outside is outside, but if I can get the dog/s, to go in a giant litter box…why not.
Keep it simple,get a GSD puppy and enjoy every second with it . My latest is 2 years old and is at my feet as I type . She has protected the family, saved my life maybe, all the other things great dogs do . I had labs, beagles,spaniels, pointers, etc . My wife always wanted a shepherd in the mix with the spaniels so we gave it try. We were amazed at what level of intelligence shepherds have . We will never be without a shepherd again. Training them is simple, they have the world figured out already, you just have to meet them at the level you choose . You can have a super active aggressive spaz or a couch potato or anything in between, they will do anything you want .

Good luck As you can see we can all be know it all dog owners, just sift through it and then enjoy your knew friend.

As crazy as this sounds to some people, when the dogs have another companion, things go much smoother. They direct their energy into playing with each other and not eating your
I agree with this 100 percent, I have witnessed it many times . We have a pair right now that worked out great by bringing a new puppy in .

Two words: Dog hair

GSDs shed even worse than our current Border Collies. Know what you’re getting into and prepare accordingly! LoL

GUEST_2632d013-bb36-4667-88fb-1827da7b2dc0
Very good point, they leave tumble weeds of hair . You can brush them out but they still shed bad .

Reactions: riverside jeep

GSDs shed even worse than our current Border Collies. Know what you’re getting into and prepare accordingly! LoL

Shedding never bothered me. My wife was concerned about it, but it apparently isn’t a deal breaker.

I’ve only had GSDs for about 30 years now. I prefer them over other breeds but they require more attention and effort than others—and when they get bored, they get destructive.

I’m older now and very glad to have a big yard. My boy Soldier will chase a ball for hours. My girls Nyx and Toni aren’t as physically active but they seem to require more attention that makes them think. This pic is a rare time when all 3 are resting—usually have at least 2 in motion.

Last thought: GSDs typically live about 12-14 years. Think hard about making the commitment

IMG_1964.jpeg

Grew up with dogs my whole life, but only had one GSD. This particular animal came as the property of my Police Department and was my partner for 8 years.

He was brought over from Hungary at 2 years of age and I prefer to say that I got assigned to him rather than vice versa. I have never experienced such a unique bond with a dog until that GSD. I loved all my dogs, don't get me wrong, but this one?

He didn't know me from Adam and was defiant at first. Like who's this guy trying to tell me what to do. Stubborn but insanely smart.

After our 480 hour class was finished and his living with me and my family, an incredible bond was formed. He learned everything at an incredible rate compared to the other guys that were handling Belgian Malinois. Once we finished up our training and we were turned loosed on the street, this dog became damned near famous.

Now as close as he was to me, I had a two year old daughter when I first got him that he latched onto. As she was growing up, I'd occasionally have to yell at her for this or that. He did not care for this at all. He would get between my daughter and I and stare at me. Those of you who have dogs know what a full on locking eyes stare means. I was a bit offended as this was MY partner. But he protected that little girl until he died of cancer after he retired.

We'd come home from work after he just put someone in the hospital and he'd lay next to my daughter while she read him bedtime stories. She would put fingernail polish on all of his paws, bows in his hair and have tea parties.

So yes, I would highly recommend a GSD. Insanely smart, great with kids, fiercely loyal, courageous yet kind.

Just remember, they are a working dog. If you don't give them a job to do, they may hire themselves for a job you're not going to like.Dietz.jpgDietz1.jpg

Last edited:
GSD have hip issues, shed, especially their 'pants' and are notorious chewers their first two to three years, especially anything thats leather, including expensive shoes, ball gloves, etc.

They are great dogs and family protectors and will figure out who is the head of the family, whether wife or husband, and follow them as their alpha pack leader but will be a ferocious parent and protector to the rest of the family.

I learned to walk by hanging on the collar of our female shepherd, who also was extremely patient and took all kinds of ear pulling and swatting on the head with a toy plastic bat by a pain in the ass 3 year old.

Welcome to the neighborhood. I have been researching and patiently waiting for the right dog to chose me.
What is the future for your homestead ?... Chickens, goats, milk cow, etc ? Factor than in with your choice of dogs.
If you have been here for a while, winter weather is something to consider.
With all of the new people and new construction, the wild animals are on the move.
Just this year I have had a bear and a moose come across my place.
I am leaning towards a breed with Australian Shepherd, Healer and Border Collie combined.
Helping a friend with an Australian Shepherd (4 months old). It likes to roam my homestead but no inclination to wander off.

Best of luck.

IMG_1231.JPGIMG_1237.JPG

As mentioned by several people, they require a lot of exercise, attention and training, shed constantly. Can be the more hard headed than me. You will have no personal space, have torn up dogs beds, shoes, fence gates, anything you are using they want.

Before I was in kindergarten, I had a GS. That constantly herded me back into the yard, off the road, chased the horses away if I was to close. I literally would take a nap in the dog house, and more times than not he would not let family wake me up. I did it so often, my grandfather made a larger dog house that we both could fit in. They would look to see the dog sitting there, and knew I was next to him and I would come inside when I was hungry.

Here are recent pics of the trouble makers. They are constant companions, that can annoy me, then make me laugh at their antics. Both are very protective of each other and me, to the point I have been working on getting one too chill out. They are liter mates which causes issues,( too late now ). It is amazing when I noticed the personality differences. One is stubborn / hyper active, can take a 5 min power nap and is ready to play, the other is more laid back / accommodating on the surface. Helps to keep the other in line and out of trouble, but is extremely ( to a fault protective/ possessive of me ), and at the flip of a switch goes defensive mode. They are getting better with time but the first year , WOW, panic, chaos and confusion .
Land Skark.jpg
Mr Possesive.jpg

There is another kind, the wife bought it, and you just wash it off. It works just as well as the sticky kind. I will have to ask her what kind it is.

My big goof Willow has hair like that. We say she turns food into fur and poo. The little one comes out in clumps if you don't keep up with him. You don't have to brush the little one (mini border) very often. If you miss the big one a single day the floor is white and the Rumba is wanting a raise.

That is another thing to think about....look at my wall. They just lay against it and look how dirty it is. They stand on the edge of the window and bark when something needs barking at. You do kinda want that, but you would rather them not tear up the windows. Low on the windows is a little foggy because of nose prints. Cardboard boxes also make the best toys. This can be an issue if you leave something in a cardboard box.

Willow and Remington.

1712245552959.png

Reactions: 91Eunozs
If you know someone that knits sweaters thats a plus. I had 3, (the GS3) mom, dad, and son, I only have the son left, the blacker one in front and hes now 11. Sweater making season is here... holy shedding. They are truly geniuses and each their own personalities. Dad in back was mellow, nice to all, loved people, ran outside non-stop, energy like his dog food was laced with speed. Mama, little tan one was the alpha, kinda lazy, she owned all, she wasnt my dog, I was actually her human. Very protective, only went to the dog park once and she took it over, not mean or attacking in any way, but she tried herding people and other dogs and thought she owned the place. The son, big black one... big baby.
Its crazy how intelligent they are. I dont think i'd have any other kind of dog.
3dogs1.jpg

Don't take on a risk like a rescue shepherd . If it's damaged in any way you may never fix it, stubborn animals.
A coworker has a "rescue" shepherd and it's been all sorts of headache and heartache. It's got issues and it's bit several people. I think it's living on it's "one last chance" now.

• Sad
Reactions: AmmoFort
Welcome to the neighborhood. I have been researching and patiently waiting for the right dog to chose me.
What is the future for your homestead ?... Chickens, goats, milk cow, etc ? Factor than in with your choice of dogs.
If you have been here for a while, winter weather is something to consider.
With all of the new people and new construction, the wild animals are on the move.
Just this year I have had a bear and a moose come across my place.
I am leaning towards a breed with Australian Shepherd, Healer and Border Collie combined.
Helping a friend with an Australian Shepherd (4 months old). It likes to roam my homestead but no inclination to wander off.

Best of luck.

View attachment 8388756View attachment 8388759
We have only ever discussed cows and chickens. We actually seem to get very little wild life through here. The white tails are around all the time. Semi tame rabbits are always running around. Since we've been here the Elk migrate through right next door (year round ponds), but never seen them on our property. Seen Moose down by the river, but not up here. Turkeys come by in the morning and then again at night. And that's honestly about it. Surprised me.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Another thing to mention, I read in here people having stuff chewed up.. All 3 of mine never chewed anything or tore anything up except toys. That ball that one is holding in my picture in last post is a Holy-roller Extreme. VERY highly recommend getting one or a few. Any other toy or ball has the life expectancy of about 24 hours.. these last years.. super tough, soft, wont knock their teeth out if you throw them at them and play catch, they love them so much they carry them around everywhere and put them in their food dishes. Make sure its the "extreme" version... the regular version gets shredded fast. So many struggle to find a GSD proof toy that lasts... this is it. Those Kong balls pry last too, but seem hard and I didnt want to knock their teeth out throwing a ball at them across the yard.

In that pic the mama dog has actually weaponized the ball and growling at the other one pushing him and hitting him with it... trying to get him away from me, herding him. ... I am hers and only hers.. lol.. They are a riot.

fiance has 2. first is the german line. she is extraordinarily intelligent and athletic, but topped out around 80 lbs. shocking how athletic she is. super high energy. you can just point or gesture somewhere or at something and she knows what you mean and does it. very obedient despite never really having been trained. only barks if there's something you need to know about. never chewed anything. no accidents. very friendly, but has bitten a couple kids. about 6 yo now.

second is the american line. he's dumb as a box of rocks. big and slow. lays around all day. extremely cuddly. barks nonstop at nothing. chews everything and has destroyed at least $10k in furniture. can't communicate at all, still puppy behavior at age 2. he'd rather bring his bag of toys to you and play tug of war or something than fetch a tennis ball.

she walks or runs them several miles a day, mostly running or hiking in the national forest up and down mountains. they're almost a full time job.