• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

I want a 1/2 moa 308 where do I get it?

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
Or do I just have it built? Money is a object. What does it cost? What about RRA LAR 8? What about those mags? Are they reliable? What is the oal inside? Thoughts?
T

Re: I want a 1/2 moa 308 where do I get it?

I have a DPMS LR-308 with fluted Bull Barrel that shoots under 1/2 MOA. But I have had others that only did 1 MOA. Hit and miss.

theres no magic to ar10's like there is in bolt guns

any ar10 with a good aftermarket trigger and barrel will get you where you want to be.

i would get a mega reciever set, add a krieger m110 barrel and a giesell trigger and call it a day. it will shoot with any of the $3000 to $5000 options out there

My DMPS LR-308 with Fulton Armory FAR barrell shoots 1/2 MoA. $1,500, not including scope.

But you gotta load your own rounds. That's as much the secret as the right rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres no magic to ar10's like there is in bolt guns

any ar10 with a good aftermarket trigger and barrel will get you where you want to be.

i would get a mega reciever set, add a krieger m110 barrel and a giesell trigger and call it a day. it will shoot with any of the $3000 to $5000 options out there

</div></div>

This is correct.

At what distance do you want the 1/2 MOA?
reloading is the only way I see.
I have a DPMSLR308 that gets 1/2 mOA AT 600yds if I do my part.
I load IMR 4064 43gr.168grSMK win brass and cci200.
2.800 is all that I can feed without jam...

my gun loves it!

Two biggest requirements in getting a gasser to shoot ( aside from the trigger man) are the barrels and the ammo.Quality barrel ( not the production type tubes ) and top tier ammo ( black hills or FGMM for example) or handloads FOR YOUR RIFLE will get you there.Also remember that an accurate gasser is NOT going to be a budget rifle in most cases.Yes, you can save some by doing it yourself and also spread out the cost so it hurts less, while spending time picking components that you truly want.But you most likely will be at or very close to 2K when done.

I know I will have to reload for sure. Just looking for the most cost effective way to put this together. Is a 308 eaisier to make shoot than a 260? or a 6.5 creed? I would like to run a 308 with 155 scenars. I have a zillion rnds of federal gold metal match 168. Not sure if the 155s are worth the added trouble.
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brut Force</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what distance do you want the 1/2 MOA?

my gun loves it! </div></div>

WTF does distance have to do with it? There is no magic that alter's the bullet trajectory after it leaves the barrel. I hate this BS- if it can hold 1moa at 100m, it can hold 1 moa at 500m. If it doesn't, it's the shooter- plain and simple. Bad wind call, bad hold, poor placement you name it- It's an angle, not a bell curve.

A load with an extreme spread of 50 may hold 1/2MOA at 100 but will not hold 1/2MOA at 600. 50fps doesn't change the drop much in 100 yds but it can be huge at 600+
But that's the ammo not the rifle.
GA P. will give you a real accuracy guarantee, the others are a bunch of yak.

Accuracy Internation AW in .308. Mine does much better than 1/2 moa using FGGM 168.

or

Robar SR90 in .308. Again, mine does much better than 1/2 moa using FGGM 168.

You would be very happy with either. Factory match ammo performs excellent so reloading isnt necessary. Dont forget, good glass is required. I prefer Swarovski; crystal clear and excellent light gathering.

This is not always necessarily true. A gun/bullet that shoots 1 MOA at 100 meters, and then goes subsonic at 600 may not shoot 1 MOA at 700. There are several things that can make a 1MOA gun at 100 meters not be a 1 MOA gun at 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paraiso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not always necessarily true. A gun/bullet that shoots 1 MOA at 100 meters, and then goes subsonic at 600 may not shoot 1 MOA at 700. There are several things that can make a 1MOA gun at 100 meters not be a 1 MOA gun at 600. </div></div>

I don't think we're discussing destabilization in transonic flight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A load with an extreme spread of 50 may hold 1/2MOA at 100 but will not hold 1/2MOA at 600. 50fps doesn't change the drop much in 100 yds but it can be huge at 600+
But that's the ammo not the rifle.
GA P. will give you a real accuracy guarantee, the others are a bunch of yak. </div></div>

Since those bullets have the same BC, the percentage of difference will mostly remain the same. Meaning the grouping will also mostly remain the same. All of these factors are constants. As stated above, the only place where the constants are no longer constant is in trans-sonic flight / dropping below sonic flight and the chance that it destabilizes.

That means it's all in the shooter. Environment and atmosphere are also the shooter's/spotters error

I apologize for taking that off subject. Either way, I have shot 2 OBR's that were true 1/2 MOA rifles with match ammo. They are expensive though at around 3k.

Well, since you asked about the RRA LAR-8, here's what my LAR-8 Varmint will do:

a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

That is 10 shots, 100 yards, including the first clean, cold bore shot.

If you get good, nearly new magazines, they work great. RRA's will be coming out with polymer mags soon. Probably after SHOT.

I've really enjoyed this rifle.

Is there a drawback to the mags? I dont realy want all the barrel of the varmint. Would rather have the Elite Operator with the shorter barrel but Rock rivers sight seems to think these dont shoot as good as the varmint? The Rock River is very affordable. Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try GAP after SHOT. ive heard things... </div></div>

i've seen things

The new GAP/POF rifle is rumoured to be exceptional

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a drawback to the mags? I dont realy want all the barrel of the varmint. Would rather have the Elite Operator with the shorter barrel but Rock rivers sight seems to think these dont shoot as good as the varmint? The Rock River is very affordable. Thoughts? </div></div>

They make a 20" barrel Varmint model. RRA LAR-8 20" Varmint Model

No downside to mags. FAL mags have been around for a long, long time and are very good magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brut Force</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what distance do you want the 1/2 MOA?

WTF does distance have to do with it? There is no magic that alter's the bullet trajectory after it leaves the barrel. I hate this BS- if it can hold 1moa at 100m, it can hold 1 moa at 500m. If it doesn't, it's the shooter- plain and simple. Bad wind call, bad hold, poor placement you name it- It's an angle, not a bell curve. </div></div>

not if your a shooter in "Wanted" and Angelina Jolie stands infront of you
laugh.gif

I as well have a DPMS LR-308 that I wont part with. It will shoot 1/2 or less MOA all day as long as I do my part. To answer your question about the RRA .308 it uses FAL Mags so you can get them about anywhere and I have never heard anything negative about RRA .308

My 24" DPMS LR308 shoots ~1" groups at 200y with 168gr FGMM.
I mostly use PMags, but havent had any issues with the regular DPMS ones either.

I know nothing about gas guns. Here is my question? Should I just buy whatever dpms I want and turn around and order a new topshelf barrel? Would this make the gun? A gas gun is all about the barrel only correct? Everything else is the same as every other gas gun? There is no headspacing of the new barrel? How does that work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy Internation AW in .308. Mine does much better than 1/2 moa using FGGM 168.

or

Robar SR90 in .308. Again, mine does much better than 1/2 moa using FGGM 168.

You would be very happy with either. Factory match ammo performs excellent so reloading isnt necessary. Dont forget, good glass is required. I prefer Swarovski; crystal clear and excellent light gathering. </div></div>

I think he said money IS an object.

One of the nice things about the RRA is that it comes with a nice two stage trigger and a hand lapped barrel. Easily capable of 1/2 moa. If you roll the dice with a DPMS you most likely want to replace the trigger and if it doesn't meet your 1/2 moa the money you spend on a barrel will put you at the RRA price point. But if your lucky the DPMS might be a good one. I went the DPMS route, I'm going shooting today to find out if I'll regret it.

I want to know where I can buy being able to shoot 1/2moa all the time, regardless of weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brut Force</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what distance do you want the 1/2 MOA?

WTF does distance have to do with it? There is no magic that alter's the bullet trajectory after it leaves the barrel. I hate this BS- if it can hold 1moa at 100m, it can hold 1 moa at 500m. If it doesn't, it's the shooter- plain and simple. Bad wind call, bad hold, poor placement you name it- It's an angle, not a bell curve. </div></div>

Interesting concept... though, it's flat out wrong. Read some of Bryan Litz's posts discussing dispersion theory as to WHY it's wrong.

In fact, here's one of the posts to exactly this question. Taking the shooter out of the equation is a must for your argument (and it appears that you've already made that assumption as well)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2246500#Post2246500

The cheapest way most get .5MOA from most gas guns is a crisp aftermarket trigger. A gritty or creepy trigger really works against tight groups.

At what distance you want .5MOA is important. Gun forums are littered with great groups at 100 yards, the proud poster very sure they will do the same at distance if he can ever find a range longer than 100 yards.

My gas gun seems to enjoy 45grs Varget driving a 168Amax. It has gone to 1000 yards, with the same caveats many stipulate to when using the 168.

Nice heavy barrel, well cut chamber, crisp trigger, good velocity on a well designed bullet, same as in a bolt gun with one slight difference, enough umph to cleanly cycle the weapon.

it isnt rocket science

Seems like you can find really good deals on a used FNAR and seems like all I have seen including my own shoots between 1/4 and 3/4 MOA.

Just a change of pace to consider! Mine love these:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/20rds-762x51-308-federal-m1a-otm-match-762-nato

Like I said between 1/4-3/4MOA and I'm sure a better shooter would be able to hold more around 1/4-1/2 with my rifle.

Get a billet upper, match barrel, and a good trigger and you can be around the 1/2 to 3/4 moa area. Doesn't matter if you go with DPMS style or Armalite receivers but keep in mind magazine availably. I like building them but with ar-10s you really are not saving any money than just going and buying a pre-built one.

Went shooting today. I have done nothing to this rifle except tune the trigger myself, It breaks crisply at about 4 pounds. And i replaced the crappy factory grip with a Hogue. The rifle is a bone stock DPMS LR-308B (I have the JP tension pin coming). I wanted to see what it would do with factory match ammo. I was shooting 5 shot groups for each brand. The two brands below shot the best.

The results i got seem consistent with Mel's review on SniperCentral. With a decent trigger i think its a 1/2 minute capable rifle. I will probably stretch it out to 300yds tomorrow. And try some hand loads.

I bought this gun to take to the Oregon Sniper Challenge and now im not sure they have a slot for me
frown.gif

total cost to me was
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">$1050 </span>without optic</span>

SANY0817.jpg

SANY0813.jpg

SANY0814.jpg

Thoughts?... My thought is that there's no such thing as a 1/2 MOA .308.

If you get a crappy barrel it ain't gonna matter how good of a shooter YOU are the gun isn't going to shoot 1/2moa. That said i believe it is more the shooter too
smile.gif

I would like a 308 gas gun that will shoot 1/2 moa. in a constant environment. My inconsistancys have nothing to do with it if someone that knows how is running it. My question is ? Is this a normal thing or a very expensive thing? I know there are lots of things possible with money. I have very little of that. I have a FFL so should I just start buying Dpms rifles and selling them till I can get a good one? Is it as easy as replacing the rifle with a topshelf barrel and be done? Or maybe I should buy RRAs until I get a good one? I really dont want a 20in though. I would rather have a 18. I dont know enough about gas guns to ask the right questions.
Thanks
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fallcreekhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR10-T goes 1/2 MOA all day any day. Love it.</div></div>

every ar-10Tthat i ever shot made small holes

I recently built a rifle that started life as an sps varmint and was quickly put into a new stock. Right now Ive got weaver bases and rings and a redfield scope but that is only temporary and is soon to be replaced by a vortex viper pst 4-16 mil mil ffp scope with ken farrell rings and bases bedded into the receiver. However, it is currently shooting right above .5 with factory ammo. (usually .5-.6 with the occasional group at .25 and the occasional group at .75) I expect that when I get the permanent scope on there with the bases and rings bedded in and I true the action and then work up some handloads for it, it should easily hold .5 MOA

The dpms will shoot. Its accurate and cheap. The groups I have shot were with factory ammo. If you want cheap .5moa than handload and your odds will go way up. The lr308 has a good reputation for being cheap and accurate that is why I bought it. My opinion is buy the dpms, handload if you don't already, and build over time as necessary.

My DPMS LR-308 Bull panther with a 24in barrel shoots 1/2 MOA all day with match ammo. Stock trigger and stock barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the dpms sass or repr? </div></div>
The SASS is a ringer right out of the box. Mine will shoot 3/8-3/4 moa on a good day. Its consistent and reliable as well.

Armalite Super SASS. Great right out of the box. Adjustable gas system, quad rail free floating handguard, triple-lapped stainless 20" barrel. It even has a 1 MOA guarentee and a 2-stage national match trigger.

being a "Staffy" it's "obvious" why your not sensitive to distance....it is "always" a variable along with quantum mechanics,charges,weights,environment et.al..especially in 308..it was a simple but valid question...if you "hate this BS" and just want to be "pissy" ... I doubt anyone but Oprah will respond to you ..

"Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent
on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun."

(3yrs in-country), "lifetime Scout Sniper"