• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I want a .45 tactical compact...your thoughts

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
I'm interested in getting into a .45 tactical, threaded barrel, compact type handgun. First thing that comes to mind is the HK USP compact tactical. It's already threaded, DA/SA, good quality. But before I spend that kind of cash, wanted to get some opinions on what else was out there. Information I'm working with now and want to know more about:

About $1200 budget. I don't feel the need for a custom, just high quality and reliable.

Prefer DA/SA, but if a 1911 is the way to go, I'm open to opinions.

Threaded out of the box or after market barrel???

Light rail (I understand HK is proprietary and requires an adapter)

Compact (around 4" barrel)

Looking for good handgun/suppressor pairs.

Re: I want a .45 tactical compact...your thoughts

I would get the HK45c . SOCOM has adopted it . I've seen them for $1100 , with the factory threaded barrel . They have the M1913 Picatinny rail ... Next choice would the 1911 . I carry a Colts New Agent that I bought used for 750 . A threaded bbl would run 200 +/- ... The HK can carry 10 rounds with the extended mag , but its thicker than the Agent , which uses 6-rd mags ...

HK45C. Get the standard one and then get a threaded barrel as an accessory. That way you have both barrels and can put the non-threaded barrel in for CCW. The sell quite frequently on the hkpro forum. Also, get the German one over the U.S. version. Why? Because it's German of course!

If I may be so bold, why do you want a compact pistol with a rail & a threaded barrel for a suppressor? Those things seem kind of opposite of what a compact pistol is all about.

Is it a "one gun to do everything" deal?

BigBoss seems to have some pretty sage advice above, I'd go that route.

J-Ham, essentially yes. I don't have a large body frame so carrying a full-size pistol just doesn't work for me. Primarily, my ability to carry this weapon concealed is the primary concern. But I also want it as a home defense weapon (by the bedstand at night)

Roger that, good answer... makes sense.

I have a HK USPc 45 and it is bigger than my commander 1911 that I carry. Much more concealable than the HK. The HK is a fine gun but it is thick and large for a compact. An officer grip or bobtail full size grip with commander slide 1911 threaded would seem to fit your needs to me.

I second (or maybe its a third) the HK 45c tactical. Comes with everything you want and has a standard rail instead of the proprietary HK rail found on the USP.

There is actually one listed on HKPro right now that includes a standard barrel plus it has had some trigger work done by Gray Guns. If I had the scratch it would be listed as sold.

bjdm, thanks for the tip. I went and asked the guy questions but it's already sold. Damn! Looked like a good setup.

Glock 30, if you need a threaded barrel KKM would be my choice, a HEMS 2 works great with that combo because of the LID.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a Glock and a Lone Wolf barrel....IMHO</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 30, if you need a threaded barrel KKM would be my choice, a HEMS 2 works great with that combo because of the LID.</div></div>

In case you missed them...

A Glock 30, Gen 3 would be my choice. Plus, you'll have enough in your budget for lots of ammo to get good with it. If you want an aftermarket threaded barrel, the KKM is a great place to start. My KKM 9mm is excellent: accurate, never failed to chamber, and a quick swap.

I've never been disappointed with Glocks. Looks like I'm going to the range and trying a few.

Sig p220 combat is a great gun and extremely reliable. It is going to be a bit heavier than the HK 45c but I like the trigger on the sig, it is so much crisper. The other advantage is that the sig is a single stack, and the magazines are easier to conceal in your pocket...or disadvatange because of capacity, depending on what is important to you.

This is just my experience but the finish on my sigs have been much more durable than my HKs. My sig that I've been carrying for years, has little to not holster wear, but my HK that I carried for a few months already has some wearing off the black.

Trigger options are also another consideration. For Sig you have the choice of DA/SA, DAK, SA with safety. For HK, DA/SA vs DAO/LEM.

Just another thing to make sure you are aware of. The full size tactical has the match trigger (which is great), but for the same money the compact does not. If you haven't shot the normal USP trigger, do so before buying. The reset is awful.

I think if I get an HK, I'm leaning toward the 45 or 45C and not the USP. Something about the proprietary rail bugs me. Good to know about the trigger. I'll be trying these all out before I buy.

The Sig 1911 tactical caught my eye as well. Kinda a mix between the tactical design and accessories and the sexiness of a 1911. I'm braced for the flames from those that don't like the idea of a 1911 being built by a foreign company
wink.gif

The HK45C obsoletes the 1911 for most uses. As a 45acp pistol suppressor host it is without peer. Was what the USP should have been from the get go.

I have got the hk45c SA/DA its the 3rd 45 I have owned and I have owned the glocks,beretta's,sig's and I will never own anything other then the HK. I am siding with bigboss on the barrel having 2 barrels is the way to go! Just my 2 cents!!!!

I sold a hk45c that I carried daily for several yrs. I installed the lem trigger and night sights and it was a great gun. The short light rail on it is completely useless for anything other than a compact light such a the tlr3 or a small laser. Even then the light sits way out in front of your trigger finger because the trigger guard is so big. So if you want a bedside gun with a good full size light you should look elsewhere. The best bet may be to get a alloy frame 1911 with rail such as the springfield operator LW. It does need a few tweeks IMO and you'll have to get a threaded barrel fitted since its a 1911.

Capt, look the the czcustom.com website they have a blued and a black enamel cz 45 with a 10 round mag and these are built on the world class cz design as far as the controls so you don't have the grip safety. I bet czcustom can hook you up with a thread barrel too! If you can drop down a notch try the s&w40 cz's.. 9mm is the cheapest round to purchase if you plan to shoot it a lot.. my cz-75 pre-b is my go to gun for 15/16 rounds and if i have twice as many rounds as a std 45 i think 9mm will do the job. my plan it to carry twin cz's. so that is 40 rounds with out a reload with the new 20 round mags. just some good advice from an old crow..

I'd go with a Glock. Half the price of an HK & twice as good.

I've seen HK pistols jam. I've owned 4 Glocks & none of them EVER had a FTF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter 25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt, look the the czcustom.com website they have a blued and a black enamel cz 45 with a 10 round mag and these are built on the world class cz design as far as the controls so you don't have the grip safety. I bet czcustom can hook you up with a thread barrel too! If you can drop down a notch try the s&w40 cz's.. 9mm is the cheapest round to purchase if you plan to shoot it a lot.. my cz-75 pre-b is my go to gun for 15/16 rounds and if i have twice as many rounds as a std 45 i think 9mm will do the job. my plan it to carry twin cz's. so that is 40 rounds with out a reload with the new 20 round mags. just some good advice from an old crow.. </div></div>

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you're about 7...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter 25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt, look the the czcustom.com website they have a blued and a black enamel cz 45 with a 10 round mag and these are built on the world class cz design as far as the controls so you don't have the grip safety. I bet czcustom can hook you up with a thread barrel too! If you can drop down a notch try the s&w40 cz's.. 9mm is the cheapest round to purchase if you plan to shoot it a lot.. my cz-75 pre-b is my go to gun for 15/16 rounds and if i have twice as many rounds as a std 45 i think 9mm will do the job. my plan it to carry twin cz's. so that is 40 rounds with out a reload with the new 20 round mags. just some good advice from an old crow.. </div></div>

But what does it all mean Basil?

I've carried HK's and Sig's and would personally take an M&P over either for what you are wanting. the M&P gives all the advantages of a glock without the odd grip angle and plastic magazines. However, if i lived in a suppressor friendly state I'd have to get one on my 1911's irregardless of cost.

Glock + second KKM/Lone Wolf threaded barrel...and plenty of $$$ left over for ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kujo929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've carried HK's and Sig's and would personally take an M&P over either for what you are wanting. the M&P gives all the advantages of a glock without the odd grip angle and plastic magazines. However, if i lived in a suppressor friendly state I'd have to get one on my 1911's irregardless of cost. </div></div>

I've tried the M&P and just didn't like it. Didn't have any operational or functional flaws, just didn't fit my hand and taste well.

I have had the fallowing; FNP TAC 45, good gun, big but shoots well, great capacity(15rd) you can put a Mini reddot on it, set up from the factory for a CAN, Thumb safety, Threaded Barrel, comes in a nice kit with 3 mags and extra back straps. Sig P220 combat great weapon, I am a Sig fan, Hate the trigger on double action first shot, Need High raise sights. good gun lacks in capacity. NHC 1911 AAC. Best shooting. best finish, great weapon. I carry a 1911 for a CCW.But big and Heavy capacity is a issue as well, as well as price $2500-$3000, depending on if you can get a used one or new. The Glock 21 and 30, I am not a Glock Lover. I respect them, and the are a value.
Glock 21 or 30 are around $585 MAP. Then add a LW barrel for $150 or so, Or a Storm Lake for $225, New Sights for $125. Reliable, good capacity, and economical. I have a Glock 23 for CCW carry, a Glock 20 for a hunting side arm, and a Glock 21-30 to run suppressed. Plus if you go with a glock you can get a Kriss conversion kit and get 30 rounds. Looks a bit silly but it is fun.

FNP TAC 45 $1100-$1200
NHC 1911 AAC $2500-$3000
Sig CBT P220 $950-$1050
Glock 21-30 $825-$925 Package deal.

Hope this helps. by the way the only 45's I have are now NHC, and Glock.

I didnt care for the fn tactical. The adjustable backstrap peices felt very thin and cheap. When you attach a lanyard to one, it has a lot of flex. Also the the trigger hinge pin on mine and many others would walk out while shoooting and make pulling the trigger impossible. FN has probably fixed that issue by now.

I am also looking to go the compact route but going with a 1911. Already have a Sig 1911 compact and looking for a Sig Tac Ops Carry with a threaded barrel. Really like the Sig 1911 and the price is pretty decent.

If looking for a tactical type pistol and not a carry, i would go look and shot the FN's. I picked one up a few months ago after shooting one of the local LE guns. They are bulky and big, but If you are a 1911 shooter your will be able to adapt somewhat fat. It comes with most all featuers you would want on one from the factory. Accuracy was very good out of this one. with and without a can. ambi, saftey and mag relase. mag relase and saftey in similar location to a 1911. The saftey can be left on safe while clearing or minipulating the slide. trigger was pretty good in my opinion. Yes it is still a polymer gun, and may have some plastic issues as stated above, like the back straps. But I like being able to change them out when wearing gloves etc. Sights took some getting used to for me. shooting 1911's im used to having my head down in my shoulders to get to the sights, but these are ery high, and the sights are great night sights. The green, and oarnge is very visible.

Just my opinion anyway. i looked at HK, and sig as well, just liked the features better here

* - And never looked at the COMPACT in your line, lol so scratch my last.

The Glock 30 is the reason Gaston Glock was able to use the "Perfection" moniker.

10+1 standard mags, takes 13+1 G21 mags. Concealable, comfortable, accurate, soft-shooting, and the list goes on and on.

Not that I personally care what Massad Ayoob thinks is awesome (I'm more than opinionated enough to decide for myself), but the G30 is his personal favorite as well, noting better accuracy with the 30 than the 21.

Out of a pretty diverse stable of handguns, I always keep coming back to my G30.

Perfection.

I run the G30. Good pistol, goes BANG each and every time. Its thick, and with CTG it's like a loaf of bread. I myself am looking at going back to a 1911 just for the slim design over the Glock. If your thinking about CCW the G30 patterns unless you wear many layers. Its generally what I carry during the colder months.

My vote is HK 45c - many good ones out there, however, and it's mostly a "shoot and see which one works for you world". HK makes a fine gun - very reliable, changeable back straps, adequate mag capacity and tank like durability. Got mine with a light LEM trigger, added a threaded barrel and then spent a butt load more money to have it worked over by Gray Guns - it's a shooting machine!! -again, I suspect there are many others that would fit that category and serve you well..

HK all the way. In my opinion Glocks, M&P's, and XD's, FN's do not even come close. You get what you pay for, and the HK is definately it for the polymer guns. I shoot a full size USP tactical and Glock doesnt make anything that comes close to the accuracy and trigger. However, I do not carry this gun. Its used to punch tiny little groups in paper and play with my Ti-Rant. Dont let the propietary rail scare you away. Several manufactures make adapters now, and they are not that expensive. I dont even own a 1911 anymore, after getting this HK. But, an Nighthawk GRP is definately on my wishlist.
1810927927_photobucket_49541_.jpg

I would prefer a full sized HK for a suppressor.
The compact is a great gun but the FS will handle a suppressor better.

1911s carry like a dream. If this is EDC I highly recommend em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would prefer a full sized HK for a suppressor.
The compact is a great gun but the FS will handle a suppressor better. </div></div>

I own 2 HK .45 pistols, the largest(MARK23)and the smallest(HK45C-aka Mk24), they both shoot great supressed but the compact conceals and shoots so well, suppressed or not, it is my favorite CCP also. After you shoot it supressed and carry it concealed, you understand why it is the new SOCOM pistol, its phenominal IMO. My next choice would be a G30 if I didn't have the 45C.
DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Another vote for the HK 45c with a factory threaded barrel. Pretty close to the maxing our your budget, but an excellent weapon that can do everything you are looking for and do it well.

Another for the H&K. Had a glock 30 and liked it but the Colt Defender I just picked up freakin rocks also.