• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want to buy a new scope

adavis1138

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
I’m looking to get a new scope for a Sig Cross in 308. This will be used for target shooting and hunting so weight is somewhat of a concern, ideally I’d come in under 33oz or so, not including mount. I have experience with several scopes in this price range including the MK5, NXS, NXS compact, Bushnell DMR, and NX8 (although my NX8 was purchased before the changes Glassaholic has noted in several reviews).

$2000 max budget, not including mount/rings
Illumination is a must
Ideally under 32oz
Ideally under 14”
Ring size doesn’t matter
I’m unlikely to shoot further than 400 yards
Low light gathering and FOV are concerns
Ideal minimum mag range between 2.5-4

Last edited:
Vortex Razor Lightweight 4.5-22 is what I would put on my cross if I had the money. Should be just about perfect for that rifle.

Reactions: Franko
You already own many of the contenders for those parameters. Have you considered the dreaded Burris option?
Heavily (and I don’t own all of the above, just a MK5 at present). My only concern is that reviews are varied, and there’s been some “did I get a good one” convos that I’ve read.

Vortex Razor Lightweight 4.5-22 is what I would put on my cross if I had the money. Should be just about perfect for that rifle.
That’s a good call. I briefly owned a 3-15 and was unimpressed with the windage but it was nice otherwise. I’m a big fan of their Razor 1-6.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Heavily (and I don’t own all of the above, just a MK5 at present). My only concern is that reviews are varied, and there’s been some “did I get a good one” convos that I’ve read.
I personally can't compare it to much because I don't have anywhere near as much experience with any other scope in the range, but by most accounts it punches above its weight. I can vouch for Burris service being really good in the event of any QC hijinx. I didn't have any problems with my xtriii but I've dealt with them on occasion for other stuff. For the money it seems you couldn't go wrong.
If you're interested in keeping any of your 2k budget that could be a great option, but if you just feel like spending 2k just grab that Nightforce and be happy. No foul there.
I'm in a similar position where I have a similarly capable scope but I'll probably pull the trigger on the NX8 later today just for the 30mm tube, 1 inch less length, a few ounces in weight... and mostly because I want to burn some money.

I personally can't compare it to much because I don't have anywhere near as much experience with any other scope in the range, but by most accounts it punches above its weight. I can vouch for Burris service being really good in the event of any QC hijinx. I didn't have any problems with my xtriii but I've dealt with them on occasion for other stuff. For the money it seems you couldn't go wrong.
If you're interested in keeping any of your 2k budget that could be a great option, but if you just feel like spending 2k just grab that Nightforce and be happy. No foul there.
I'm in a similar position where I have a similarly capable scope but I'll probably pull the trigger on the NX8 later today just for the 30mm tube, 1 inch less length, a few ounces in weight... and mostly because I want to burn some money.
That’s a great point, and to be fair I would love to spend less money. But the reality is if I don’t buy the right thing I’m going to drive myself nuts and sell it at a loss. I wish I had a Burris in store nearby to look through, and I’d love to buy an awesome option and save money, but I’m burnt out on the optics rollercoaster.

That’s a great point, and to be fair I would love to spend less money. But the reality is if I don’t buy the right thing I’m going to drive myself nuts and sell it at a loss. I wish I had a Burris in store nearby to look through, and I’d love to buy an awesome option and save money, but I’m burnt out on the optics rollercoaster.
Honestly that's the tough thing about the ~2k price range 3-20ish optics because there's nothing that's truly head and shoulders above the rest. Kinda comes down to what tickles your fancy and how much money you want to spend. The scopes you mentioned in the OP are all such tight competition that they all seem edge eachother out at different things

Reactions: adavis1138
Steiner T6XI 3-18x56 is close to your parameters, can easily be had for sub-$2k but is a tad heavier.
As another option, consider a second-hand NF ATACR 4-16x42 on that rifle and go fill an ark.

I’m looking to get a new scope for a Sig Cross in 308. This will be used for target shooting and hunting so weight is somewhat of a concern, ideally I’d come in under 33oz or so, not including mount. I have experience with several scopes in this price range including the MK5, NXS, NXS compact, Bushnell DMR, and NX8 (although my NX8 was purchased before the changes Glassaholic has noted in several reviews).

$2000 max budget, not including mount/rings
Illumination is a must
Ideally under 32oz
Ideally under 14”
Ring size doesn’t matter
I’m unlikely to shoot further than 400 yards
Low light gathering and FOV are concerns
Ideal minimum mag range between 2.5-4
I have the same gun as you and put the MK5 and love it

Steiner T6XI 3-18x56 is close to your parameters, can easily be had for sub-$2k but is a tad heavier.
As another option, consider a second-hand NF ATACR 4-16x42 on that rifle and go fill an ark.
Both of these or just try another NX8. It’s what’s on my Cross.

Nope. Had an EoTech 1-10 in the woods last year. I’m never hunting with an LPVO again if I can help it.
Can you elaborate on that ? I was considering a Vudu 1-10 for short range hunting. I have a Helos Gen 2-12, a LRTSI 3-12 and I was considering either a 1-10 or save up for a March 1.5-15

Can you elaborate on that ? I was considering a Vudu 1-10 for short range hunting. I have a Helos Gen 2-12, a LRTSI 3-12 and I was considering either a 1-10 or save up for a March 1.5-15
In blowing snow, and in low light, the differences between the EoTech 1-10 and a S&B 2.5-10 were almost night and day. A tougher shot (300 yards) was basically made impossible and I’m not making that mistake again (I let the buck walk).

Reactions: Bluedog82

The field of view and light gathering capability of an MPVO objective (usually 30-44mm or so) is going to be much greater than the 24mm or so objective of an LPVO.

I ran a nx8 2.5x20 for awhile on my cross. I’m switching to the Ziess lrp 4-25. I’m hoping for good things out of it. I also hunt and target shoot mine quite a bit.