• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing I want to hunt Sandhill Cranes. Where? And with who?

MOUNTIC

Mountic Outdoors: Big Game Hunter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2017
    Colorado
    mounticoutdoors.com
    My father in law and I are looking for a Sandhill Crane Hunt in the next month and a half. I am located in CO and would be traveling to TX most likely for a hunt. I would need to fly into Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, or alike.

Does anyone know of, or had experience with someone who can get us out on some Cranes? I know this is kind of last minute but I'm trying to make it happen before the season ends 2nd to 3rd week of January.

If not TX, where else?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    No experience, but MeatEater did a sandhill hunt and I'm pretty sure they were outside of Lubbock, TX. Might be worth searching outfitters in that area.

No experience, but MeatEater did a sandhill hunt and I'm pretty sure they were outside of Lubbock, TX. Might be worth searching outfitters in that area.

Thanks. My wife actually was the driver on this as she wants to cook with them. I didnt even know about them really til just a short while ago. Trying to make a last minute trip and figured someone here has done it and had good luck with an outfit somewhere.

Check out Flatline Outfitters in Oklahoma. We hunted with them last year and saw some cranes, but none came in. If they can’t get you on them they may can point you in the right direction.

Check out Flatline Outfitters in Oklahoma. We hunted with them last year and saw some cranes, but none came in. If they can’t get you on them they may can point you in the right direction.

Appreciate it. Ill look them up this evening.

I’m going with Run N Gun Adventures I’m Bay City, TX next weekend. Went last year and had a blast.

Huh... Interesting. Here in Florida, Sandhill Cranes are a protected species.

The Florida sandhill crane is protected by the U.S. Migratory Bird Treaty Act and as a State-designated Threatened species by Florida's Endangered and Threatened Species Rule.

Illegal in Nebraska also. Not sure why. Probably a tree hugger thing.

Those birds, here in Florida, must know they're protected. You can almost walk up to them. :)

Back when I was doing the track (cars) thing, during the drivers meeting, they always warned us to NOT hit the birds, if they cross the track (and they would). If we hit one of the birds, they'd close the track down for the day (and then some) for the investigation). Big legal trouble. So, whenever the birds would walk out on to the track, we'd get a yellow flag.

So.... apparently, they're edible???

My Dad had an excellent recipe for sandhill cranes, as follows;

First get a nice piece of hickory 1/2 to 3/4" board enough to hold the cleaned bird.
    Clean and rinse the crane.
    Place the crane in the center of the hickory board.
    Brush with a nice amount of olive oil.
    Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
    You can add a little liquid smoke if you don't have a pellet smoker.
    Get your pellet smoker going to 275F and smoke for 1 hour. This gives you the smoke flavoring.
    Then wrap the crane up in foil and place it back on the hickory at 275 for another 2 hours, or when internal temp is correct.
    Take the wrapped crane and board out of the smoker.
    Throw the bird in the garbage and eat the board. It should have a nice smoky flavor.

HAHAHahah. Sorry guys!

Deano

Hunted them in Montana a couple times in late October. Delicious!

Reactions: MOUNTIC