• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Was Wrong, and Hornady proved it.

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

I'm the kind of person that can readily admit when I'm wrong. I don't care, I'm not ego driven, and if I see something better I will readily admit it.
In this particular case I was wrong, but that was based on lots of reading websites like this one and YouTube videos.

This is about BC (Ballistic Coefficients) and truing my rifle. I wont go into the specifics on that, just to say that I was in the same boat, paddling with everyone else.

Then I started using Hornady factory 6mm ammo and that led to 4dof. I did that because with the little amount of information I derived from their website docs I felt it was worth a try. That has changed now. Hornady is putting out podcasts on YouTube and are giving out ALL the information on how they arrived to where they are now, and that blew me away. Especially because they are giving this information out for free, even if they have spent a gazillion dollars to reach those conclusions.

These podcasts are not for the faint of heart. Or people looking for shortcuts. If you really want to understand how all of this works it's going to take a while.

You have to be really caffeinated to watch them. There is and incredible amount of information on how bullets work out in the air, and how traditional BC truing methods (similar to what all of us have being doing out there) are woefully inadequate. It's hard to pay complete attention at night after a few Monkey Shoulder scotches. Best to do this in the mornings with lots of coffee.

The journey is not finished. They have not reached the point where they even start talking about 4dof software. That's coming. There are six podcasts so far in this series. These are all about the science of ballistics, how BC and Bullet drag really work - science. And the news are not good for what I've have being doing I'm afraid. The last four podcasts are key. But to know how they got there you have to watch the first two - how we got here - history stuff.

So, here are the last four podcasts - you can find the first two if you are so inclined - and I'll repeat the warning - get caffeinated! There's LOTS of information that is easy to miss if you're asleep.

Oh, and you want to WATCH these, not listen to them. There are a lot of graphics, especially in the last two. The best and most incredible part: They are giving us all of their research worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars - FOR FREE!

Last edited:
Update to my post above. Hornady recently released Podcast #49 titled "Why Use 4DOF", which is the culmination of the series of podcast that I linked above.

It blew me away. They went into so much detail on the app and how it works, with very easy to understand examples as to where other ballistic programs fail, and even why they are giving it away for free and also including other manufacturers bullets. Slow process that is though.

The explanations on zero angle vs zero range are spot on and show exactly how it works. This is a must watch - caffeine required!

The link: