• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater I watched John Wick 3, my thoughts, mild spoilers

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
So I read the Firearms News story on John Wick 3 and I had a free evening after watching the basketball game so I watched John Wick 3.

Last weekend I watched Avengers Endgame and was underwhelmed/mildly disappointed. The story was kind of weak but a few of the characters carried it.

John Wick 3 had almost no story to it except some weird cliches thrown in and while I was hoping for some story line and character development for Hale Berry, there was almost none and she didn't have much screen time. The most notable thing about Hale Berry's character is her pair of Weiner dogs.

I know a John Wick film isn't the place to look for an intricate plot or logical consistency but the lack was kind of glaring.

If you just want to see choreographed fight scenes, it has plenty of that but I wasn't drawn in to the story as much as 1 or 2.

I cut John Wick 2 off midway through because of the cheesy fight sequences. To me It was just so over the top It was comical.

It was too late when I posted that last night, I should finish the thought I started:

While I don't think Endgame was the movie we deserved after Infinity Wars, I was a bit more disappointed by John Wick 3 because it just didn't make much sense in the context of 1 and 2.

“Wiener dogs” LOL! ?‍♂️

I saw it. It was exactly what I expected. I didn’t watch it for the story just the action, as cheesy as some of it is.

It was decent.

• Haha
Reactions: longgunJR
I really enjoy the John Wick movies, but it's the story not so much the gun-play to a degree.

All of that judo and jiu-jitsu looks cool on the screen, but it's also a good way to get your shit perforated right in the middle of one of those moves too. Conveniently, there is not an enemy ever shooting or present during the execution of the move itself.

Hollywood. I'm sure there are numerous social-media douchebags out at tac-bays and pistol ranges trying to pull some of that shit off! Let's make that 1-way range a 2-way with some simunitions and see how it goes ?

Saw this tonight. Was pretty disappointed. Bottom line, it is an advertisement for JW 4. There is NO plot at all. Spoiler alert......this movie starts one hour after the last one ends, so if you are going to see it, watch two for a refresher, and then this movie just keeps going like two never ended, except that there is very very little plot. Halle Berry is pretty hot for an older chick. One thing that I did enjoy was watching her “Wiener dogs” work. In all seriousness, if you like watching Malenois work, that 15 mins of the movie is entertaining. If you are a fan of John Wick, save your money, wait for it to come out on dvd, and then wait for the price to go down before you get it. I’m a Wick fan, but that pretty much sucked and was a waste of two hours. The good side to it, was I got to hang out with my 26 year old son and grab dinner and see the movie.

I enjoyed it for what it is. The movie is nothing but John fighting and killing everyone. The desert scenes were pointless and I'm not sure if i missed something but didn't understand that point at all.

But, I felt some of the fight scenes could have been shorter (fewer people for him to kill) and some were predictable as in what was going to get smashed or used.

I also didn't understand the ending except that it was setting up JW4. Im trying not to spoil it for anyone that's not seen it yet but loyalty seems misplaced by the shooter. I'll be very interested to see that explained in JW4.

Last thing... WTF is some people doing bringing little kids to this one? Seriously, there were several kids about 5-6 watching this today.

I enjoyed the movie, it was entertaining, and that’s what I expected, a break from reality. It was like watching a 2 hour IPSC competition but instead of steel targets they were people and 1 stage was knives only and another dogs where incorporated (with smart ass comments)

I liked 3 better than 2. Straight action movie and breathed a sigh of relief that Berry didn't come to save the day because of SJW BS. I still want them to go back in time and show the Impossible Job Wick completed to get him out of the assassin business. At the end, even though I already knew it was gonna happen... I was hoping there was gonna be a 4th one.

Good movie. I enjoyed the knife fight in the opening scene...my boys and I got a good laugh.

No big existential discoveries to the meaning in life in the movie, which is OK with me :)

Last edited:
Saw 1, thought it was OK. Saw 2, not so much. If 3 is just some more of 2; I pass.

Greg

A lot of "I wanted more story" for a gun action movie on a gun forum...
Gotta have a little story between all the gun fights. There was literally no storyline. Agree with others, this was the weakest of the 3.

Last edited:
I went to see it yesteday afternoon at an IMAX theater. Wow, non-stop action...I mean, from the first seconds of the movie to the very end. Nice twist at the end.

Way more martial arts, knives, swords, etc. than in any previous.

The gun fight sequences are awesome.

In spite of all the hype about "new guns in WICK 3" the good old Glock is right in there from the get go and frankly it is not until the end that Wick is handed a "STI Combat Master in 9mm Major" and grabs the SIG MPX 9mm carbine, and then has to go back for the Benelli shotgun to defeat the heavily up-armored buys in the hotel. "Armor piercing 12g slugs" sure did the trick.

As for storyline, it was there, to be sure, but obviously they are all set up for the next sequel, coming June 2020.

Enjoyable action flick. The opening fight sequences are pretty dang brutal and amazing.

I enjoyed it, a lot.

The story was no more lacking than the previous two movies. These movies are set up as Chapters. Chapter 3 is supposed to be a chaotic chain of events post his excommunication from the assassin society. Dude had 1 hour to get out of NY (which apparently is the US capital of assassins) with a bounty on his head 7x higher than the next highest bounty on the market and this movie just showcased how much fighting it would take to accomplish that. He didn't have time to stop and have introspective, thought provoking conversations with people so we could have a story, he was trying to survive.

We learned more about the High Table and their process with dealing with broken rules. We learned that John Wick was raised an orphan in a criminal "tribe" which taught him his physical skills. We learned he once helped Sophia keep her kid safe, she owed him a debt for doing so, and he knows where her daughter is (and that Halle Berry is even hotter than ever since she now knows how to handle guns like a boss). We learned the same amount of info about The Bowery King as in 2...nothing except the dude thinks he runs those streets and plans to use Wick in the coming war with the High Table. We learned there is a single entity higher than the High Table who lives in the middle of the desert and John says "F the ring finger pact I just swore to you I ain't killin' my boy Winston" so there are surely consequences coming there. This was a set up for Chapter 4, 5, and 6. Don't worry, we'll learn more later, or we won't and we'll still have a series of movies that are super violent, awesome, and visually pleasing to watch.

I expect these movies will get more violent since in #1 JW lost his dog so he went back to the thing he knew and that was his old life. In #2 he lost his old life by breaking the rules. In #3 he lost his tribe, used the marker from Sophia, and his friends at the Continental "betrayed" him. Dude is 100% on his own now with no loyalties or connections left (that we know of). He's about to go nuclear as part of The Bowery.

P.S. I'm a John Wick fan boy.

Another thought....for those who say there was "no storyline" ... baloney.

In fact, it was fascinating.

We learn Wick's actual name and where he is from. We learn that not everything is peachy among/in the "High Table" organizations, etc. etc.

Very cool stuff.

It would be nice to see JW4 as him have time to train back up and heal up. Then he could tell the high table, "I was beaten down and out of practice. NOW I'm really back and coming for everyone at the high table"

I still don't understand why he cut off his finger in the desert if he wasn't going to fulfill what was asked...

i loved it the movie was entertaining , the acting was so so its not a bad movie to me anyway it really makes me want to go to take classes someday . If they can make a non shooting actor proficient , id be happy with 1/4 the skill even less. I still struggle to pull of 5 quick shots let alone reload and 5 more in any way after stroke .

@acudaowner

You don't have to take classes to do what you want to do. You just have to practice it on the range. Over and over and over and over. It's not rocket science, you just have to push yourself with a shot timer and keep doing it.

It would be nice to see JW4 as him have time to train back up and heal up. Then he could tell the high table, "I was beaten down and out of practice. NOW I'm really back and coming for everyone at the high table"

I still don't understand why he cut off his finger in the desert if he wasn't going to fulfill what was asked...

Yeah after the fall from the top of the Continental's roof he's going to need a month...well dude should have been dead...I didn't necessarily like that part. No amount of training or badassery can keep you alive from a fall like that.

He cut his finger off to get out of the desert. Without doing that he would have been killed on the spot. By cutting his finger off he was assured his life and passage back to NY. As famously said multiple times during The Waterboy, "Welivetoplayanonday." They should have never let him live since they were going to smoke Winston themselves. Take out Wick, send the buses into the Continental and clean house. High Table is back in charge. They made a big mistake there.

Reactions: Slash0311
Never watched a Wick movie for the plot. Yes, its also easy to pick apart the implausible action sequences if you have a moderate level of training in pistol, carbine, a striking martial art or jiu jitsu. Its an action fantasy - like watching fight sequences in the Matrix, or a Marvel or Star Wars movie. Don't spend too much thinking about the paper thin plot or the physics defying action - just sit back and enjoy it.

I cut John Wick 2 off midway through because of the cheesy fight sequences. To me It was just so over the top It was comical.

I never even made it to the end of John Wick 1. Didn't even bother to start 2 or 3. I can't believe they made more than one!!

It is an over the top action movie. Exactly why I liked it!

Saw it with my son tonight. We enjoyed it a lot! Though, we both thought some of the fight sequences were pushing into the "Fast & Furious 7" level.

I really appreciated some of the comic relief... many funny parts. Example: The Japanese dude he fought near the end... with a katana (?) through his heart... "Pretty good fight, huh?" LOL

One thing I haven't ever seen mentioned about the JW series... the musical score. I think it's outstanding and perfect for the dark theme to these movies.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Never watched a Wick movie for the plot. Yes, its also easy to pick apart the implausible action sequences if you have a moderate level of training in pistol, carbine, a striking martial art or jiu jitsu. Its an action fantasy - like watching fight sequences in the Matrix, or a Marvel or Star Wars movie. Don't spend too much thinking about the paper thin plot or the physics defying action - just sit back and enjoy it.

There’s a great fan theory that John wick is a simulation in the matrix. In matrix reloaded, the architect talks about how Zion has been destroyed 7(?) times before and each time something in the matrix changes a bit. The article went into way more detail but it was an Interesting read

Reactions: 5RWill
I thought it was ok. Would have enjoyed it more if it were not for one of my kiddos driving me nuts. The plot was a little off, and the Asian assassin would have been better if they cut off all the jokes or funny remarks he made. JW 1 and 2 were better. I will be waiting for JW4 as there is more story to come.

It's the weakest of the series narratively speaking and the choreographed fight scenes are inconsistent. Some are wonderful though especially early on, then some are kind of meh towards the end. I felt Keanu was showing his lack of speed especially against the marshal artist from the Raid II. I love some of the gun scenes and really love the production value outside of the suppressor sounds. Cinematography in this one might have been my favorite. Didn't understand the AR 9mm at the end either, but it setup the stage for the shotgun. Halle Berry's character annoyed the shit out of me i thought she overacted like crazy. Also did she get Veneers or something?

Having said all that i just saw it for a second time. I love the world they've built and want to dive deeper into it. The hints here and there of John's past begs for a prequel. To see what he did to get out, his origin considering the newly introduced Russian theatre, what he did to save Sophia's kid, etc.

I think Rossatron sums it up nicely (spoilers in this vid)

On another note father of the year award goes to some guy that brought his 3 year old to watch the film. I mean it's his kid but holy shit he started crying when Wick beat a knife in a guys eye (understandable at that age) and i was in shock there was a pre-schooler in that theater.

Watched it last night at the Grand 16 Theater, Pier Park, Panama City Beach with my girlfriend (who enjoyed it without seeing JW1 or 2). If you can see it there, the motorized reclining, padded seats were AMAZING!

I have to admit I'm a Keanu Reeves fan: Point Break, Matrix (earlier episodes), The Replacements and Speed among my favorites, so his performances in the JW series has been memorable.

BLUF: I enjoyed it a LOT more that I was expecting, mostly due to the earlier Hider's comments...

I agree with many of Rossatron's comments above, but want to mildly disagree about the plot. In ways, JW3 adds to the depth and back story of the enigma that JW is, and thus satisfies my limited need for a "plot."

The final fight scenes at the Continental were reminiscent of those that Bruce Lee had in the Game of Death, culminating in the fight with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Yes, this is an action movie--enjoy it for what it is!

Now I need to rewatch JW1 and JW2 with my woman... :)

longebow

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Let' review. A retired murderer's wife dies and she leave him a dog. Sure he never liked dogs, owned dogs or wanted a dog but she gave him an unwanted present anyway. Three Russians kill the unwanted dog that he owned for almost a day and stole his car.

Upset he goes on a murderous rampage, killing about 100 people in 24 hours. Police do not respond to 6,500 calls for shots fired or killing sprees in local nightclubs and a weird elderly geek in an unmarked van picks up all the bodies.

Two days later, the rampage killer travels to another country with no passport or visa and murders the head of an international crime organization, they call the movie John Wick 2. He flies across the world without a passport, because immigration laws are crap. He then gets weeks of opposition research in 4 hours, three suits tailor made, thousands of rounds of ammunition and a dozen guns. He walks thru a foreign city with three gun cases and no one cares. He murders dozens of random people at a giant rave party in downtown Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no cops in the entire country of Italy are aware of more than 100 murders including a major crime boss. The killer flies home to New York and kills another hundred people in the metropolitan art museum with the help of a group of criminal vagrants.

Two days after that macabre disaster, the same rampage killer is now hunted by hundreds of other murderers who get texts from a organization that pays every barista, tattoo artist and 7/11 clerk in New York to kill people. Still not hunted by cops or making the news at 6pm. Everyone else is UNAWARE of a series of hundreds of killings in their city. By now, every funeral home is low on coffins, but who cares? He kills dozens and flies to northern Africa, where he kills a hundred more people and wanders into the desert to apologize to random Bedouin who apparently controls all the worlds crime. He chops off a finger and goes back to work murdering people in New York. No jet lag,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no pain from massive injuries and trama,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and no shortage of ammo. Every criminal on earth uses the same caliber gun, type of magazine and was apparently trained by the same kung fu master.

The international crime syndicate sends two bus loads of highly trained but ecologically sound mercenaries to a large hotel in downtown New York City, where a four hour gun battle with at least a hundred causalities occurs. Tens of thousands of rounds are fired, massive explosions and fires and no police or fire response is noted.

To address the problem, the hotel manager talks to a lesbian from "corporate" who is there to fire him. At the request of the lesbo, the hotel guy shoots the rampage killer several times and he falls 5 to 7 stories into the street. Local hobos rescue him. He is injured but now angry at the hotel guy, he teams up with the hobo king to destroy the hotel manager in the next installment.

Approximately, 8 days and 800 dead later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rampage killer is still mad over the dog. The dog he owned for nearly 24 hours.

The moral of the story is one for anti-gunners to embrace. All gun owners are just one slip from becoming rampaging murderers if they are allowed to own, train with or use guns. Without access to a firearm, the violent gun owner would have had to rely on government owned and controlled cops to seek justice. The moral of John Wick to democrats is that , all gun owners are bad.

Last edited:
Let' review. A retired murderer's wife dies and she leave him a dog. Sure he never liked dogs, owned dogs or wanted a dog but she gave him an unwanted present anyway. Three Russians kill the unwanted dog that he owned for almost a day and stole his car.

Upset he goes on a murderous rampage, killing about 100 people in 24 hours. Police do not respond to 6,500 calls for shots fired or killing sprees in local nightclubs and a weird elderly geek in an unmarked van picks up all the bodies.

Two days later, the rampage killer travels to another country with no passport or visa and murders the head of an international crime organization, they call the movie John Wick 2. He flies across the world without a passport, because immigration laws are crap. He then gets weeks of opposition research in 4 hours, three suits tailor made, thousands of rounds of ammunition and a dozen guns. He walks thru a foreign city with three gun cases and no one cares. He murders dozens of random people at a giant rave party in downtown Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no cops in the entire country of Italy are aware of more than 100 murders including a major crime boss. The killer flies home to New York and kills another hundred people in the metropolitan art museum with the help of a group of criminal vagrants.

Two days after that macabre disaster, the same rampage killer is now hunted by hundreds of other murderers who get texts from a organization that pays every barista, tattoo artist and 7/11 clerk in New York to kill people. Still not hunted by cops or making the news at 6pm. Everyone else is UNAWARE of a series of hundreds of killings in their city. By now, every funeral home is low on coffins, but who cares? He kills dozens and flies to northern Africa, where he kills a hundred more people and wanders into the desert to apologize to random Bedouin who apparently controls all the worlds crime. He chops off a finger and goes back to work murdering people in New York. No jet lag,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no pain from massive injuries and trama,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and no shortage of ammo. Every criminal on earth uses the same caliber gun, type of magazine and was apparently trained by the same kung fu master.

The international crime syndicate sends two bus loads of highly trained but ecologically sound mercenaries to a large hotel in downtown New York City, where a four hour gun battle with at least a hundred causalities occurs. Tens of thousands of rounds are fired, massive explosions and fires and no police or fire response is noted.

To address the problem, the hotel manager talks to a lesbian from "corporate" who is there to fire him. At the request of the lesbo, the hotel guy shoots the rampage killer several times and he falls 5 to 7 stories into the street. Local hobos rescue him. He is injured but now angry at the hotel guy, he teams up with the hobo king to destroy the hotel manager in the next installment.

Approximately, 8 days and 800 dead later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rampage killer is still mad over the dog. The dog he owned for nearly 24 hours.

The moral of the story is one for anti-gunners to embrace. All gun owners are just one slip from becoming rampaging murderers if they are allowed to own, train with or use guns. Without access to a firearm, the violent gun owner would have had to rely on government owned and controlled cops to seek justice. The moral of John Wick to democrats is that , all gun owners are bad.

Thank you for touching on the fact that there is a serious lack of police presence in the JW universe. Maybe we are led to believe that the average citizen is accustomed to witnessing this kind of carnage on a daily basis.

The fact that he shoots many of the other assassins and everyone in the background continues walking and going about there business without so much as a glance in the direction of the gunfire is a little hard to believe.

Last edited:
Thank you for touching on the fact that there is a serious lack of police presence in the JW universe. Maybe we are led to believe that the average citizen is accustomed to witnessing this kind of carnage on a daily basis.

The fact that he shoots many of the other assassins and everyone in the foreground continues walking and going about there business without so much as a glance in the direction of the gunfire is a little hard to believe.

When he uses horses as weapons I laughed out loud. Growing up with horses I can tell you unless properly trained around gunfire he would have been in serious trouble firing at and around them like he was.

Attachments

• 6FA61142-34B1-43DE-9092-1AE73B3CD22D.jpeg
    6FA61142-34B1-43DE-9092-1AE73B3CD22D.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 106
I liked 1 and 2 better than JW 3. I felt like they shot the footage and forgot to add certain sound effects/background to scenes. (Plus they tried too hard to be like marvel and add comical injects when the scene didn’t need it.) I would have been ok with it had the first two movies been that way but they weren’t.

I too liked 1 and 2 better than JW 3. The Arab leader over the Table was lame. The sword fight sequence near the end had one spot where John Wick had his back turned to a guy with a sword in his hand and it could have ended there, but didn't. This didn't live up to the great choreography in the previous sequences.

The top guy for the High Table was a bit odd and rather disappointing. After all the build up to get Wick before the guy, he was just some Bedouin? Really? The knife throwing scene in the antique weapon shop was rather amusing though. My wife was laughing through that whole sequence.

There was an unusual amount of crotch shots. Like they were going for comedic effect almost. Still enjoyed it.