• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I went and did it this time

Broncovan

FHEC
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Nampa, ID
I've been snooping around here awhile and decided that I wanted to get into a longer range AR and have been trying to put together a DPMS 308. Started buying lower parts and got my stripped lower in early last week, but my FFL told me about this baby coming in Friday or yesterday. He called me Monday morning and I took off work early to get it. Can't wait to get out and break it in, the weather has been crap here the last couple days.

It's a Rock River Varminter, 26" barrel, RRA 2 stage trigger, ambi bolt and mag release, FN/FAL magazines (both kinds). Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 sitting on it right now, may swap it out with my 6.5-20 Zeiss, but it's silver and I'm not sure I like that on a tactical rig. The other new toy is a Para lower with a colt upper, 14 rounds of .45 makes me smile.

I'm thinking about cutting 2-4 inches off and threading it to put a Levang on it or something else that's removeable for a suppressor.

HPIM5426.jpg

HPIM5431.jpg

HPIM5424.jpg

Re: I went and did it this time

wait you said both mags? huh?

sorry if its a stupid question it's late

Very interested in how that rifle will shoot. I think what he means by both mags is that the rifle will accept both metric and inch pattern magazines.

Looks like she's going to shoot good enough. I got out Saturday morning and put some decent groups together. After putting about 10 rounds through it, I went to my loads I had worked up. Hopefully it'll be decent enough tomorrow so I can get back to the range and stretch her legs some. Our range has 200 and 450 yard stops for longer range shooting.

I forgot to add the particulars. All 5 shot groups. Sunny, 70 very light breeze to no wind.
Lapua once fired brass
Hornady 150 grain interlocks (all that I could find locally)
46.2 grains Varget
Winchester Large rifle primers

HPIM5468.jpg

HPIM5467.jpg

HPIM5466.jpg

It's not really a 1911, it's a Para Ordnance lower with a 1911 upper. I like the grip, but my fingers are fairly long and fit around the double stacked grip nicely. A friend of mine has shorter fingers and doesn't like how much fatter the grips make it. I really like Hogue grips over the Ergo and even the Magpul MIAD grips. I have them on my 5.56 as well as the LAR-8 too.

Interesting, i'm the same way. With larger hands, a 1911 is difficult for me to aim comfortably. I've tried the Ergo and currently run the MIAD on my AR's and dig them. The Ergo was just average. I may have to give the Hogue a spin.