• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I would like to get opinions on the PWS MK116 Mod 1-M upper 223 wylde

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I want a long stroke piston driven AR15 upper. I would like to get opinions from anyone who has purchased, owned or used long stroke piston AR15 uppers. I am thinking that PWS MK116 Mod-1 M upper in 223 wylde 1 in 8 twist at about $1050 would be a quality piece of equipment and then there is much less clean up too.

I am a big fan of pws. I have a mk116, mk110, and a mk111 pro all uppers in 223 Wylde. I also have a mk109 upper in 300blk and a mk216 in 308 complete pws rifle. I run them suppressed 99% of the time. They are less dirty that di, they still get pretty dirty when using a can. Recoil is a bit different than a di but not drastic. Accuracy is pretty good also. I have been using pws uppers since 2012 or so.

I have a mk114 mod 1 upper I have put several thousand rounds through at this point. It is my main walk around hog rifle. Accuracy was mediocre last time I put it on paper but I only have a 1-6x on it and that was a year or 2 ago. I shot it yesterday and had no issues hitting at 300 tho. It is slightly heavier than a comparable DI gun and will run cleaner without a can. However, mine is pretty overgassed on the normal unsuppressed setting. With the can (hybrid or sandman-s) on position 2 its very smooth and light recoiling (one of the best feeling suppressed guns I've run). If I knew what I knew now, I would probably only buy this rifle as a suppressor host. But its a nice upper and I havent regretted it yet, I bought it for $815ish if I remember.

20210705_111256.jpg

I am a big fan of pws. I have a mk116, mk110, and a mk111 pro all uppers in 223 Wylde. I also have a mk109 upper in 300blk and a mk216 in 308 complete pws rifle. I run them suppressed 99% of the time. They are less dirty that di, they still get pretty dirty when using a can. Recoil is a bit different than a di but not drastic. Accuracy is pretty good also. I have been using pws uppers since 2012 or so.
Thank you for your reply. I live in CA and suppressors are NOT legal. At 80 years old my arthritic fingers cannot handle cleaning my di bcg. So, that is why my interest in the Piston upper.

Thank you for your reply. I live in CA and suppressors are NOT legal. At 80 years old my arthritic fingers cannot handle cleaning my di bcg. So, that is why my interest in the Piston upper.
I had mine in california with a bullet button to make it legal. You'll need a thordsen stock or one of those grip fins to make it legal with the laws now.