• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ia Drang

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I was really lucky. Draft # 112 but a repetitive urinary tract infection kept me out of the hell. A lot of my buddies went and came back fucked up, or didnt come back at all. I post this in their honor and Ill bet at least one of the members here was there. This is for you too.

----------------------------------------
    Yesteryears: For survivors, Battle of the Ia Drang Valley changed everything
    I’m thankful that I was at home when I learned that retired Lt. Gen. Harold “Hal” Moore had died.

He passed on Feb. 10, a few days before his 95th birthday. I hadn’t known him personally, but just the mention of his name has always opened sad and tragic memories for me.

Moore had been the commander of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment of the 1st Cavalry Division during the Vietnam War. In November 1965, at a place called Landing Zone X-Ray, he and his men proved they were every bit as brave and tough as any group of men the nation has ever sent to war.

A few days later, that truth was proven again at nearby LZ Albany, and LZ Columbus. The horrific point-blank fighting went down in history as the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley.

Years later, Moore and his best friend, Joseph L. Galloway, who was with him as a civilian reporter during the battle, wrote the definitive account of the entire engagement, “We Were Soldiers Once … and Young.”

I was a 19-year-old kid when I flew into that place — and something much different when I came out.

Through the grace of God, I wasn’t among the 305 Americans — nine from Virginia — who died there. To this day, just the mention of that place with the giant termite mounds and scrubby trees brings me close to tears.

Although we were outnumbered 10 to 1 at times, we soundly defeated the North Vietnamese Army regulars who attacked us in human waves with whistles and bugles blaring. But this isn’t a story of bone-bruising combat, but rather an account of the shadow of sadness we carried out of that place.

Those of us who still had our youth to lose left it in that keening vale of screams and curses. Also left in the matted, blood-splattered elephant grass — and lost in the blank, staring eyes of our dead — were our absurd pre-battle notions of war.

When we returned to our base camp at An Khe, the sprawling compound felt like a church. No one spoke much above a whisper as inventories of the dead guys’ things were taken.

My memory always places me just outside one of the dust-red, general-purpose tents that served as our homes. The sides of the tent are rolled up, and I’m watching officers using bolt cutters to sever locks from foot lockers and duffel bags.

All the canvas cots are empty, and the broken locks bounce as they land on the taut material. There is a bolt of colorful silk material, too, that one of the guys had planned to mail to his mother.

Days pass without a joke, because even smiling seems unthinkable. Some of us wonder how and why phantom odors of death come and go even weeks later.

Our dark mood had nothing to do with morale. We were proud of our division — and how we had fought during our baptism of fire.

We were dealing with grief, collectively and as individuals. To help bring us out of our morass, they held a drag race of sorts between a Huey and a Chinook helicopter.

Bets were taken as to which one would win. The pilots knew it would be no contest, but many of us were betting on our beloved Huey.

We cheered like maniacs as the two airships roared by, maybe 30 feet above the ground. The Chinook, with a top speed of 196 mph, won easily. The Huey maxed out at 127 mph, and it was wound tight as it flew by.

I think that was when we started smiling again. But what most helped to bring us back to a state of mind resembling normalcy was the Bob Hope Christmas show.

Depending on who was counting, between 5,000 and 8,000 of us got to see the show. Everybody else was on the perimeter standing guard for us.

In his book “The Last Christmas Show,” Hope writes about looking down from the helicopter that was flying him into our camp and seeing our troops in a firefight just outside our barbwire perimeter. That was nothing new for us, but it was one of the reasons he wrote that our camp presented the “biggest security problem” during his 1965 tour.

Before the show started, clear instructions were given as to who should run where if we started to get shelled. Nothing happened during the show, and we were able to enjoy it from start to finish.

The one joke that I remember Hope telling was actually an off-the-cuff remark he made when he saw our gigantic CH-54 Skycrane heavy-lift helicopter rise into the air nearby.

“That’s the biggest damn mosquito I’ve ever seen,” Hope adlibbed.

After the show, I walked alone back to my unit’s area. Almost as soon as the cheering and laughter had ended, I started to feel sad again.

David A. Maurer is a features writer for The Daily Progress. Contact him at (434) 978-7244 or [email protected].

Last edited:
    Reactions: abizdafuzz

It's Ia Drang. Show some respect and fix the thread title.

It's Ia Drang. Show some respect and fix the thread title.

I think Ill leave it as it is just for you. I put it here to honor friends and the best you can do is throw shit. Why dont you show some respect and act like a man rather than a little boy desperate to be an authority on something. Anything..You have some here fooled, but not many. I see through your facade and laugh at you and your desperation for recognition. Im not the only one and you know who I mean.

I think Ill leave it as it is just for you. I put it here to honor friends and the best you can do is throw shit. Why dont you show some respect and act like a man rather than a little boy desperate to be an authority on something. Anything..You have some here fooled, but not many. I see through your facade and laugh at you and your desperation for recognition. Im not the only one and you know who I mean.

You were better on Ignore.

You were better on Ignore.

Ive repeatedly gone out of my way to keep it civil with you as, Frank suggested. Please, put me back on ignore. You make me want to vomit.

And my apologies to all those who served in that, war for this. it was not intended to go this way.

Last edited:
    Holly shit. I enjoy most of both your posts. But in this case I have to ask who crawled up your ass maggot. Without being face to face how would you expect someone to say "hey you made a typo" . No big deal, obviously the messenger is who got under your skin not necessarily the words he used.
    you two fucked up a good thread.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
    Holly shit. I enjoy most of both your posts. But in this case I have to ask who crawled up your ass maggot. Without being face to face how would you expect someone to say "hey you made a typo" . No big deal, obviously the messenger is who got under your skin not necessarily the words he used.
    you two fucked up a good thread.

Its not being corrected, its the manor and intent. Had he just called to my attention that I made a 'typo', no problem, I would have corrected it. But he just had to be insulting and throw in that I was being disrespectful. This little fellow has some serious issues with control. My guess is that he's never had the authority or recognition he craves, so he comes here to make himself feel important. A buddy of mine who did some time in prison put it this way in a letter he wrote me..."In here anyone can be a big shot just by running his mouth. A chicken thief can be a king. I dont really care about him except when he insults me un necessarily. Hopefully he has put me on ignore and that will be the end of it.

Again, my apologies to the brothers who served.

You want to honor friends that you let go to war alone because you couldn't piss right? that is rich, people who dodged the draft or got a deferment when young but had miraculous recoveries when the war or eligibility ended should not be honoring any one, they should be asking forgiveness for their youthful cowardice. Too bad if you, or anyone gets butthurt but this is how I feel and always felt about shirkers and draft dodgers.

You want to honor friends that you let go to war alone because you couldn't piss right? that is rich, people who dodged the draft or got a deferment when young but had miraculous recoveries when the war or eligibility ended should not be honoring any one, they should be asking forgiveness for their youthful cowardice. Too bad if you, or anyone gets butthurt but this is how I feel and always felt about shirkers and draft dodgers.

You really need to get off your high horse ass'd attitude.

Ive suffered from that a UTI my entire life and take a couple supplements to treat it now.

Here's the reply frome the author of the article who I replied to.

"Amen to that.

Dave"

To you it is a high horse to me and my family duty and honor is just a normal part of being a man.

I dont in any way demean your service, but your attitude is continually shitty here. All I ever see from you, like one other here, is insults and words that put others down, Never anything positive that has the intent to improve things, only shit slinging against anything you dont understand or agree with.

I did a thread on UTI and prostate a couple years ago. Maybe your memory is too short to remember that long, but I got a lot of thanks for it. Its a problem that a large % of men suffer from at some time.

I had a legitimate reason. You dont want to send someone into combat where others are depending on them, when they at anytime could start pissing blood and die.

So go take your bullshit somewhere else.

Yeah if you need to carry a machine the size of a m60 that would be a prob. Kissing sideways or a boo boo on your toe nail is actual cowardice in my book. Especially if youvhace classmates getting drafted and killed.

My point was that uti's sound like a pretty "gay" excuse, but could lead to hydronephrosis and renal failure if treated improperly. A person with acute kidney injury and the delirium associated with the rise in toxins accumulated in the body would be a huge liability.
    so whether or not it was real or fake is on maggot, but uti's aren't something to poke fun at, unless of course it's the clap.

Believe me, brother, if youve ever been unable to piss, then had blood come out in a lot of pain, youll know just how real it is. Antibiotcs cleared it up, but it kept coming back til I found herbal supplements that seemed to treat the cause, small prostate that caused the infections.

Most, or a large percentage of men, will suffer from some sort of prostate problem in life. Id recommend Saw Palmetto and Cranberry extract for any male over 50. There are a couple others that help. Thats why I asked to start a men's health secton, so we could share this shit and it wouldnt just go away.

so whether or not it was real or fake is on maggot, but uti's aren't something to poke fun at, unless of course it's the clap.

You mean when she said I got a UTI from her UTI, she was full of shit? That f'ing bitch... :D

How 'bout we all STFU, delete everything after the original post and give the subject the respect it deserves?

That's all I was fucking asking for.

Had you just said "Hey Mag, youve got a typo." It could have been that simple. You just had to be a smart ass and it lead to all this. PLEASE put me on ignore.