• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ice chest tech

As an absolutely insane aside, has anyone here actually 'made their own' cooler? I ask, because I just don't see the "hundreds of dollars" (up here in Canada) of 'value' in what is offered for sale.

I've been thinking about a plastic tote for the outer shell, another plastic tote for the inner basin, bulkhead fitting for the drain, and using the spray-foam between the two shells.

Obviously we'd need good weatherstripping between the lid and body interface, and I'd cut plexiglass as a cover for the two differences (top and bottom)

But to fit into our boat and do the job, as well as make it 'skookum strong' and such isn't/shouldn't be that much of an issue. I don't know how many of ya'll have shopped up here in Canada, but the choices are 'very few' and the prices are 'very high'. Which is what has driven me to this direction.

I bought the RTIC 52Qt Ultra Lite cooler for a trip this summer. It's still not "light" and I'm a bit surprised how big it is to how much it can store.
That said, bought 20lbs of ice, put our fish in, held fish for about 60 hours just fine. One day it was in the car with fish in probably a 120 deg+ car for at least 4 hours too. I didn't drain either. I left in garage (90+) for 3 more days and having filled up on a Thursday, there was still ice Tuesday morning IIRC.

I'd recommend it - especially on sale. It'll certainly keep your stuff good for 4 days. That said, I don't believe it's made in USA. I know RTIC's mugs are not.

I'm thinking of buying their 20qt too just to go do my grocery haul instead of my ancient rubbermade (which I'll grant is very convient for just a grocery haul).

I am enjoying reading about the other coolers as well. Keep the posts coming!!

Reactions: MJF and NoDopes
So where are you getting this 12or 120v when out in the boonies? Are you dragging a shit ton of batteries around? Start your vehicle every 4 hours to charge the battery? What's the secret?
You need one battery and one relatively small panel to run it practically indefinitely, if it isn't hooked up to a vehicle or other power source.

Reactions: W54/XM-388