• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Idaho 16lbs weight limit on hunting rifle

1badbarrel

Dt srs wa
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Wet side wa
Just weighed my desert tech srs , 22.5’’ 6.5 saum barrel with a tt525 on top , stripped the bipod off and no suppressor . It weighed 16lbs without ammo on my bathroom scale .should I be concerned if it was just a tad over 16lbs. Do they police the weight limit . It’s not like I’m bringing a hti , hunting elr . I’ve always hunted wa with my dt srs and am going buck hunting in Idaho next month. Thanks.

I wouldn’t do it. I’m not sure how Idaho is, but the WDFW (wa state game wardens) are the most no nonsense (by the book) LE’s I’ve ran across.

A DTA would definitely draw attention and I wouldn’t want to risk it. I’d imagine it would be confiscated for hunting with a illegal weapon.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking the same. I don’t want to break any laws. I’ll pick up another lighter rifle.

I am pretty sure it was written because of a group of “Long Range” hunters shooting up a elk herd with a 50bmg.

Tough to regulate stupid out of people.

Yeah, the above poster about Washington State is right on, what a bunch of pricks. OTOH, there are a lot of regs that have been put in place for very good reasons. I once saw a guy getting busted by the fish cops @ Camano Island state park (Washington State). The DNR had 24 crabs the guy had in his posession laid laid out in the bed of their truck. Legal limit was 4 or 5 per day. Each crab above that was a $500 fine. I couldn't help but applaud the cop. In this case, the guy got nailed poaching, to the tune of at least $10K. Glad to see it, he was fucking all the law abiding crabbers.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
That regulation was an ass backwards way of banning the 50BMG hunting that was going on. I'd still use another rifle regardless. Though once my AI arrives in a week or two I'll be looking at whether it would be feasible to get it under 16 lbs with a Proof barrel.

Reactions: NiemiPT
I'm good with the weight restriction but can't understand why they set it so low? From what i've been told the weight is including the bipod, if it is attached and ammunition in the magazine,,,,In other words, as carried weight,

Take a 338 Lapua with some good optics,bipod,etc and you could easily run north of 16lbs.

I think what Idaho game management had in mind was to restrict ELR hunting with big bore sniper rifles of any large caliber. Unfortunately, there are some people that just want to be able to brag on social media how they took down a bull elk or bear at 1000+ yards. They really don't care how full they fill their freezer or if it was an ethical kill. IMO.... These people are not hunters....

Above all else respect the animal your hunting and the environment he lives in....

Seems a lot more to the point to define illegal calibers, or would that be too easy? Weight is no longer a stand in for caliber.

Reactions: NiemiPT and XLR308
It's hard to regulate the stupid out of people. I don't have that much of a problem with the law as written. I'm sure it negatively effects a few, but not everyone with a "Sniper" rifle is capable of taking a ethical shot at longer ranges. I'm sure that most will end up wounding several head before actually killing one.

I go to deer camp every year and it never fails that some new guy shows up with their new "sniper'' rifle. It's usually a heavy barreled Rem or savage .308win topped with a telescope. I cringe everytime as they start talking about how far away they could kill a deer. Last year I was sitting on the edge of a meadow watching a decent buck, when someone started shooting at it. I was 600yds away and they were at my 2 o'clock far enough away I wasn't concerned. I think I counted around 20 rounds that he missed with dirt splashing up all around it. Even if that guy lucked out and hit the damn thing whats the chance it would have been recovered.

Seems a lot more to the point to define illegal calibers, or would that be too easy? Weight is no longer a stand in for caliber.

Nope.....Bad idea! There are a lot of northern hunters that use .375''- 458'' calibers for moose, elk, and big bear. Then we have the .50 cal black powder rifle and handgun hunting crowd.

I used to hunt elk with a 15 lb. 416 remington at 8000' elevation in Colorado. I also own a 416 Barrett TAC 50 and it weighs over 30 lbs. BIG difference!!

Last edited:
It's hard to regulate the stupid out of people. I don't have that much of a problem with the law as written. I'm sure it negatively effects a few, but not everyone with a "Sniper" rifle is capable of taking a ethical shot at longer ranges. I'm sure that most will end up wounding several head before actually killing one.

I go to deer camp every year and it never fails that some new guy shows up with their new "sniper'' rifle. It's usually a heavy barreled Rem or savage .308win topped with a telescope. I cringe everytime as they start talking about how far away they could kill a deer. Last year I was sitting on the edge of a meadow watching a decent buck, when someone started shooting at it. I was 600yds away and they were at my 2 o'clock far enough away I wasn't concerned. I think I counted around 20 rounds that he missed with dirt splashing up all around it. Even if that guy lucked out and hit the damn thing whats the chance it would have been recovered.

Well said!! Animals are not moving targets.
First you learn to hunt up close and then develop your skills to shoot far.

Nope.....Bad idea! There are a lot of northern hunters that use .375''- 458'' calibers for moose, elk, and big bear. Then we have the .50 cal black powder rifle and handgun hunting crowd.

I used to hunt elk with a 15 lb. 416 remington at 8000' elevation in Colorado. I also own a 416 Barrett TAC 50 and it weighs over 30 lbs. BIG difference!!

Yep, I admit they are bad ideas.. put in place by the state. But if you gotta have 'em at least try a little harder to have them make sense.

Thankfully, my home state of NC did this:

Rifles
l Fully automatic rifles are unlawful. All other rifles are legal except:
- Rifles are prohibited by federal law in hunting migratory game birds.
- Local laws prohibit or restrict rifles in some counties. See the
“Local Laws” section.
- It is unlawful to hunt or take wild turkeys with rifles.

That's it for rifles. :cool:

That regulation was an ass backwards way of banning the 50BMG hunting that was going on. I'd still use another rifle regardless. Though once my AI arrives in a week or two I'll be looking at whether it would be feasible to get it under 16 lbs with a Proof barrel.

If you are going hunting, you could lower the weight a bit by carrying a front bag with you instead of a bipod, remove the rear butspike (if you have it), Remove the top rail over the handguard (makes it way easier to handhold anyways), light profile or Carbon fibre barrel, remove any extra rail pieces attached to the hand guard that you don't need (so basically all of them). Pick some ultra light 2 piece rings, If they are being bitches about ammo weight, just have 2 or 3 rounds in your magazine at a time as you won't need more.

I think you could easily get an AX / AXMC with a decent scope down into the 16 pound range if needed.

All in all it is clearly just another way for stupid government types to try to rip off law abiding citizens while doing nothing to stop actual bad behavior... as normal.

If you are going hunting, you could lower the weight a bit by carrying a front bag with you instead of a bipod, remove the rear butspike (if you have it), Remove the top rail over the handguard (makes it way easier to handhold anyways), light profile or Carbon fibre barrel, remove any extra rail pieces attached to the hand guard that you don't need (so basically all of them). Pick some ultra light 2 piece rings, If they are being bitches about ammo weight, just have 2 or 3 rounds in your magazine at a time as you won't need more.

I think you could easily get an AX / AXMC with a decent scope down into the 16 pound range if needed.

All in all it is clearly just another way for stupid government types to try to rip off law abiding citizens while doing nothing to stop actual bad behavior... as normal.

If its a AX/MC with the above mods it will be close.... Or you could just buy a Sako TRG 42 or a Christensen Arms MPR in .338 Lapua...Problem solved!

Thanks. I was thinking the same. I don’t want to break any laws. I’ll pick up another lighter rifle.

Why not just get a proof barrel for the DTA, that should save you a pound.

AX with 20" Proof 6.5 creed barrel and Schmidt & Bender 5-20 in Spuhr is 14 pounds even without bipod or can.
20180911_074036.jpg

Here’s my solution...

- Stiller Tac30 (.308)
- 18 inch Proof barrel
- Manners tf1a
- Badger steel rings
- ATACR 4-16 F1
Weight bare rifle with empty mag: 8.95 lbs
As pictured: 12.35 lbs

Built by SAC

Also happens to be for sale...

541169DE-D063-42E6-A9CB-013F02B0B1B8.jpeg
DAAF113C-C050-447A-914D-1906E505B4A4.jpeg

Reactions: Basher
Hi,

This law actually has NOTHING to do with BMGs at all.....just remember what gunsmiths are in Idaho and surrounding areas that "specialize" in ELR hunting applications. They have videos of crazy distance hunting shots. This law was to keep unskilled people from ordering up an ELR hunting rig in some of the specialized cartridges and going out to wound animals at 1300, 1500, and 1700 yards, etc...just because they seen their gunsmith do it.

The 16lb was thought to be the limiting factor in some of these builds due to recoil.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Milepost
This makes me love kansas even more. I’ve shot multiple deer with my 50 bmg. What is a more humane death than getting hit with a 50?? I have yet to have one run off and suffer. I’d rather see people shooting deer at 1000 yds with a 50 than a 6.5 creedmore.

Hi,

This law actually has NOTHING to do with BMGs at all.....just remember what gunsmiths are in Idaho and surrounding areas that "specialize" in ELR hunting applications. They have videos of crazy distance hunting shots. This law was to keep unskilled people from ordering up an ELR hunting rig in some of the specialized cartridges and going out to wound animals at 1300, 1500, and 1700 yards, etc...just because they seen their gunsmith do it.

The 16lb was thought to be the limiting factor in some of these builds due to recoil.

Sincerely,
Theis

It's for the reasons you mentioned that I agree with a weight limit but 16 lbs is a bit light for a well equipped 338 Lapua,.... Which IMO is absolutely the best tool for long range elk hunting and any 30 cal magnum caliber a close second. Setting the weight at around 17-18 lbs would allow those who own a tactical rifle to be used for hunting but still restrict the super mags from being used.

This makes me love kansas even more. I’ve shot multiple deer with my 50 bmg. What is a more humane death than getting hit with a 50?? I have yet to have one run off and suffer. I’d rather see people shooting deer at 1000 yds with a 50 than a 6.5 creedmore.

True.... But just lets see you lugging that heavy beast in mountain terrain at 8000' elevation! Then pack out all that meat to your base camp or truck.

True.... But just lets see you lugging that heavy beast in mountain terrain at 8000' elevation! Then pack out all that meat to your base camp or truck.

Where would u do that? Colorado? I don’t intend to give Co 500 bucks plus vehicle permits to hunt a cow elk on federal land that the government should not “own”. when they are one of the most liberal states in my area. I will keep my happy ass in Kansas and hunt here. We have everything but moose and bear anyway.

Hi,
THIS is another reason for the 16lb law.....the Idaho game wardens noticed that people were more susceptible to leaving meat in the woods when the rifle weighed so much.

@Peterpan
You do realize you are posting in an Idaho hunting thread discussion right??? Hence his comment about mountain terrain at 8000' ASL.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: Milepost
Hi,
THIS is another reason for the 16lb law.....the Idaho game wardens noticed that people were more susceptible to leaving meat in the woods than their rifle when the rifle weighed so much.

@Peterpan
You do realize you are posting in an Idaho hunting thread discussion right??? Hence his comment about mountain terrain at 8000' ASL.

Sincerely,
Theis
Nope sure didn’t. Ain’t got a thing against Idaho, other than the new weight limit law I just learned about lol

Where are you going to be hunting? When are you going to be hunting? I have an extra rifle I could lend you, if you still need it by then. You can have your choice between a 6.5 Bergara Ridge, or a Browning X-Bolt in 7mag. Ill be hunting Muleys with my 6 creed this October, and White Tails in November, so I have no need for the other two during those months.

Thanks a lot svthuh , I really appreciate it. . I got a 7wsm Montana rifle company action in a manners from a friend for this hunt. It’s a shooter, and lite. First time Idaho hunt , going with some friends that been hunting there and familiar with the area. Hunting muley in the salmon area. Thanks again for the offer brother , and good luck with your hunt ?

Reactions: 3-0-hate
What ever happen to actually hunting? Stalking to try to get reasonably close to game, not just spotting game at 7-800 yards and taking a shot. Just a thought.

What ever happen to actually hunting? Stalking to try to get reasonably close to game, not just spotting game at 7-800 yards and taking a shot. Just a thought.
I don't think anyone has said it's for shooting animals at 700-800 yards. Where did you get that from?