• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Idaho members

Yellow Jacket

Burrhead
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
Wilder, Idaho
So I did a search on this particular forum and nothing for Idaho. So I thought why not get the ball rolling. Hopefully this is not a dating service, HAHA

Reactions: Loner84
Just lunch, that's it! Hails from south-east ID. Where arts thow from, yellow jacket?

Used to call a small town outside of Boise home now I am up in Moscow.

Hopefully we can get a few more people to drop in, I am hoping someone can help me find somewhere around here that will let me shoot at 500 yards without just driving out into the woods.

Hey Dave in Idaho: dyu ever get toward Rexburg/Idaho Falls??

ignore what is stated here: this guy is completely talking out of his ass.

Was born in Moscow, grew up east of Rexburg area. Live in the other I state now...I dearly miss the mountains!!

Ashton - went to kindergarden in Teton though. I still have lots of family in the Ashton area, and my sister lives in Boise area now. I get back to visit occasionally, but not as often as I'd like...

Pocatello. Grew up in Idaho Falls. Heading back to live in IF again in a few months.

kato, shoot me a PM after the move, we could head to the hills...

-888-.

Mountain Home here. Use our base range here and drive out in the bruneau area and can get some shots a long way out.

Photo.jpg

Pretty good day of shooting. Brutal winds today though.

Used to call a small town outside of Boise home now I am up in Moscow.

Hopefully we can get a few more people to drop in, I am hoping someone can help me find somewhere around here that will let me shoot at 500 yards without just driving out into the woods.

There is a 1K range about an hour and a half from you.

Mica Range due south of Spokane, Wa.

I will be calling Idaho home here in about 2 weeks. I will be living just west and north of Boise. Once i get settled in i hope to meet some people out that way to do some shooting and a bit of varmint hunting.

I live in Rexburg for about 6-8 months out of the year, and Seattle area the rest of the year. I bet y'all can guess what I'm up to living in Rexburg.

I'm PCSing to Mountain Home in a couple months. Anyone in the area want to show me a good place to shoot ELR?

I'm PCSing to Mountain Home in a couple months. Anyone in the area want to show me a good place to shoot ELR?

Everything around Mountain Home is a target....if it's little and wears fur....

Edit:
If it's big and wears fur like a Mule Deer you will need a license to shoot it. Still not determined on the little "diseased, dog deer (called whitetail{slightly larger than a jackalope})"

Last edited:

Been here just over 5 years. There are a few decent places relatively close. How far are you trying to shoot? What are you running?

Plenty of space up here. The picture I posted earlier in the thread is one of the spots I get out to that's about 25 mins from Mtn Home. Plenty of space to shoot out to a mile plus. Cant see the target in the picture, but there is one in the center draw at 1125 yards.

Checking in the panhandle, about 40 minutes north of CDA. Anyone know where I can shoot out to 1000yards or more?

There's a lot of places once the snow melts off. Right now your best bet is going to be either driving to Mica Range or seeing if you can shoot at the Poyer Ranch in Blanchard.

There's a lot of places once the snow melts off. Right now your best bet is going to be either driving to Mica Range or seeing if you can shoot at the Poyer Ranch in Blanchard.

We here is the Mica range? How can I shoot at the Poyer Ranch? Not super familiar with the areas but starting to get to know them. Thanks!

Poierier Ranch Rd? Is that right? That's all that pops up on Google Maps.

Mica Range is south of Spokane. Poyer Ranch is In Blanchard. Google maps will get you to either. Once the snow melts there's tons of places in the mountains.

Poierier Ranch Rd? Is that right? That's all that pops up on Google Maps.

You're all over it. It's been over a year since I was out at Mica Range so I'm not sure what it looks like now. It used to have steel every 100yds or so out to 1K.

Sorry about the confusion from my last post. Did I mention not liking doing this on my phone? Anyhow as stated Mica is South of Spokane Valley off of Hwy 27. Turn East at Mica and follow the road about 4-5 miles and the range is on your left. For just going out in N. Idaho, just go North of Sandpoint and drive public roads. You will see patches of clear cut logging that you can shoot across. Make sure you you have a backstop and no one is camping in the tree line. Most of that is public and ok to shoot on.

Last edited:
When I first started shooting at Mica, there was, as noted by khavic, steel every hundred yds. or so. Some of it more difficult than others. Like the chickens, turkeys and mini-rams. I forget which distances but they were at, 750, 800, and 850. Small targets for that distance and hard to hit.

Also, right before the cutback to 765 yds. they added a 10"x15" plate at 1k. A lot of fun shooting there.

Hopefully, this crap of the developer gets done and the range will be back open to 1k again. Maybe farther? It's kind of sticky as the property is under a special land use permit that doesn't allow improvements. Therefore, putting berms up is a tight political walk.

Last edited:
Hey gang... Texan here, born and raised. Been living in Colorado for the last 9 years, and potentially (God willing), moving around the Moscow, Deary areas. I have great access to long yardage ranges and BLM, State Land, private and other stuff here, that I will miss pretty bad. If the move to Idaho comes to pass, I will definitely be looking for anyone to get together with to sling some lead, at paper, steel, varmints, and big game. So, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

DK

Moscow (pronounced mosk-oh, not mos-cow like Russia) has some decent areas around it. The closest 1k square range is Mica. But, you've got a lot of open area to explore on both the ID and WA side.

z71rat,

I know it's a pretty fair drive, but up in Sandpoint there are a bunch of long range shooters. I can't give names on the board, but if you go to the North 40 there ask at the gun counter about long range shooting and they will hook you up with a couple employees there who do that.

Also, in Rathdrum, there is Sean Carlock who owns Defensive Edge. It's a business for him, but he can get you to a lot of long range shooting areas. Like I said, it's open up there, you just have to know how to get to it.

Another guy I know owns www.pure-precision.com. Charlie Bell. He sells long range turned bullets He's out of Naples. A really good guy. This may be a little far North for you, but that is where I was at. Tell them Todd Mills sent you. Carlock probably won't remember me, as it's been a while since I saw him last.

Last edited:
Well, won't be on the Wash side with a suppressor. Wish their laws would change.

DK

Hi Rat,

Washington state laws have changed. Discharge of firearms with cans is perfectly legal now. Been that way for two or three years. I'm WA born and raised on the west side. Never thought I would live to see the day they would overturn the ban on discharge w/suppressor, but here we are. I'm headed out to my favorite west side range with my can in a little bit. Nowadays, nobody looks at you funny, other than with a little curiosity to see which can you're running and to see if you like it.

Always carry you docs.

That is good to know threadcutter308. I wasn't sure if it had changed. I've worked in Washington at Moses Lake and Everett, but never followed what was going on with that.

Yeah, it was kind of spooky the first time I went to the range after legalization. I sort of expected "hubbub and buzz " from other observers/shooters when they saw my can. It was more like "yawn".......

Funny thing was, I have had legally registered/transferred cans (in WA state) since about 1993/1994, it just wasn't legal to discharge with cans attached. Now, that's all sorted out for the better. The liberal handwringing about "violent crime skyrocketing" because of making discharge legal just hasn't materialized....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, it was kind of spooky the first time I went to the range after legalization. I sort of expected "hubbub and buzz " from other observers/shooters when they saw my can. It was more like "yawn".......

Funny thing was, I have had legally registered/transferred cans (in WA state) since about 1993/1994, it just wasn't legal to discharge with cans attached. Now, that's all sorted out for the better. The liberal handwringing about "violent crime skyrocketing" because of making discharge legal just hasn't materialized....

Minnesota had the same issues with conceal and carry. The anti's (I say anti's because a lot of lefty's in MN are Pro-gun) proclaimed it would turn the state into the wild west again. It didn't. In fact violent crime dropped. All crime dropped, actually. Last I heard they are considering or have passed legislation in favor of suppressors. With Dayton as Gov. I doubt it will happen. The whole "silencers are killers" thing goes clear back to the Lindberg baby kidnapping case. Because he was from MN, and gangsters used them, they made a huge deal of it. They were so scared, they even made the Feds get permission to use them.

Wisconsin could have suppressors when I lived in MN. They were dead set against, CC though. That ended a couple years ago.

Added: In Idaho, people get bent out of shape if you DON'T have them.:eek: