• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IDAHO,WYOMING,MONTANA,UTAH

WILLSMITH030382

WILL SMITH
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 1, 2018
    NASHVILLE, TN
    I know these 4 states would be horrible to move to. No good hunting and no good public land shooting opportunities 😜.

But from people who live there or who have lived there what is the best place to raise a young family and enjoy the benefits of a 2nd amendment friendly state ?

I am looking for good camping , public land shooting ( like the Nutnfancy youtube channel) and hunting opportunities.

Montana, Wyoming, Utah or Idaho (states and cities) .

And for what's it is worth I am not moving from California and will not be bringing any liberal nonsense with me !

Please help a fellow hide member out !

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dustycoyote
    I know these 3 states would be horrible to move to. No good hunting and no good public land shooting opportunities 😜.

But from people who live there or who have lived there what is the best place to raise a young family and enjoy the benefits of a 2nd amendment friendly state ?

I am looking for good camping , public land shooting ( like the Nutnfancy youtube channel) and hunting opportunities.

First off.... that's 4 states not 3.....

Utah is full up on people who already struggle to count to 10

I know these 3 states would be horrible to move to. No good hunting and no good public land shooting opportunities 😜.

WYOMING IS CLOSED

Montana is 3 years away from going blue and Idaho is probably 2 years so there’s that…

Yup. You can only move there if you promise to counter a Dem vote.

I only shoot on private. Range goes to 650, buddies ranch we go to 2500. Most ranges have 500+ available.

Wyoming is great if you like a gentle breeze. I've never found a bug there.

Oh, and southern Utah if you don't like the cold. Montana/Idaho/Wyoming you'd better be ready to go out and shovel snow when it's -40*. The good news is I usually shovel with my leaf blower when it snows below 0 since it's so light. The bad news is the wind will fill in your driveway every 15 minutes if it's blowing.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
    Utah was great back in the 80's. I have no idea now.

The town where I graduated from high school didn't even have a traffic light. We had to drive to the next largest town to practice at one in Drivers Ed.

I think they finally put one up in the last twenty years or so.

I've lived in a few "prime" locations.
    Here is what I've found.
    The majority of "transplants"move there cause they like certain aspects of the culture. Unfortunately, they always try to "help" the locals by "fixing the problems" thus in reality, turning their new home into the same liberal shithole, that they fled.

Stay where you are, we are all full up in redneckville.

How much money can you spend and what do you do for a living.

You mean North California, South Washington and East Oregon?

I LOVE wyoming. I am trying and trying convince the wife to move back

Covid ruined pretty much everything here. We got massive influxes of mostly west coast people who seem to have multiplied exponentially. I giggle at the public land myths. YouTube and OnX pretty much rendered most public land hunting for OTC tags a joke.

The good ol days are long gone and I cringe at how bad it must be elsewhere for folks to want to still come out here.

After you have saved up $500k (cash money), come back and restate your question.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BCP
    what makes these states you listed great is the lack of people, abundance of public space, and (formally) a low cost of living. work-from-home rich techies bugged out of their hives to small affordable towns, where they bought two houses for the price of one city condo. Housing prices and voting demographics changed enough to displace locals from their home towns. Ask yourself: if you’re priced out of your own home by culturally different outsiders, would you be mad? Where are you supposed to go if these outsiders bought up all the cheap housing and rent it for 1.5x the price from last year? You can’t even escape to your favorite lake to go fishing because alltrails and instagram made it a destination for these invaders. But you “support the 2A”? Fuck you that’s a prerequisite, not an accomplishment or identity.

tldr fuck you we’re full

I only shoot on private. Range goes to 650, buddies ranch we go to 2500. Most ranges have 500+ available.

Oh, and southern Utah if you don't like the cold. Montana/Idaho/Wyoming you'd better be ready to go out and shovel snow when it's -40*. The good news is I usually shovel with my leaf blower when it snows below 0 since it's so light. The bad news is the wind will fill in your driveway every 15 minutes if it's blowing.
    I promise I will counter a dem vote !

I need to work so I cant live to far off the beaten path.

Go job shopping first. That's going to be the killer.

I'm an electrician. I cover about 400 miles.

I also bought a house in 17 for 178k. It's now worth 400k+. I wouldn't be able to afford the same house now. 500sq ft studio apartments are renting for my mortgage payment.

Nobody is moving right now, as none of the locals can afford to. Outside money from people selling their mcmansions and then showing up with cash has fucked our market bad.

Here is what I've found.
    The majority of "transplants"move there cause they like certain aspects of the culture. Unfortunately, they always try to "help" the locals by "fixing the problems" thus in reality, turning their new home into the same liberal shithole, that they fled.

And for what its worth I am originally from Dallas Tx and currently reside in Nashville Tn . I can promise I won't be bringing any liberal nonsense with me ! I am only looking to be closer to the mountains, public land hunting and good place to raise my young family.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dustycoyote
    Around $500k for a home . Furniture retail.
    For the past 5 years there has been a mini warehouse building boom. When I ride past and one of the units is open, it is full of furniture.
    Why ? Because people bring all their "stuff" when they move to Montana and end up living in a one bedroom apartment. Their stuff was to be in storage until they bought a house. 5 years later the apartment rent has increased and the house they passed on for $200k was just re-sold for $400k....
    Some have now had to "return to the office" in a far away city and are still paying rent on their stuff left behind.
    I am in the Bitterroot Valley, south of Missoula. I'm sure the other guys can verify seeing the same thing.

Go job shopping first. That's going to be the killer.

I'm an electrician. I cover about 400 miles.

I also bought a house in 17 for 178k. It's now worth 400k+. I wouldn't be able to afford the same house now. 500sq ft studio apartments are renting for my mortgage payment.

Nobody is moving right now, as none of the locals can afford to. Outside money from people selling their mcmansions and then showing up with cash has fucked our market bad.
    I appreciate the knowledge. It is very similar with the Nashville housing market as well . I definitely would need to line up work before moving. Based on my research the cities top on my list for Wyoming would be Casper, Cody , Sheridan and Cheyenne. I would plan on renting before buying in hopes the housing market becomes more of a buyers market in 2024 with the presidential election coming up.

I promise I can count , I was trying to write this last night with help of my 3 yr old 🤣
    Then stay the fuck out, the rest of us can't......

I appreciate the knowledge. It is very similar with the Nashville housing market as well . I definitely would need to line up work before moving. Based on my research the cities top on my list for Wyoming would be Casper, Cody , Sheridan and Cheyenne. I would plan on renting before buying in hopes the housing market becomes more of a buyers market in 2024 with the presidential election coming up.
    The housing market in these areas ID/WY/MT/UT was already super inflated before Covid, its going to take a pretty major event - like much more than an election to shake things back to reality.

I am actually one of the few that prefers the cold over the heat and doesn't mind snow!

Any info on being a non Mormon and raising a family in Utah ?

I am actually one of the few that prefers the cold over the heat and doesn't mind snow!

Any info on being a non Mormon and raising a family in Utah ?

They ignore you and you ignore them. They're generally polite and keep to themselves.

If you think you like cold, go sit in the walk in freezer at a butcher shop. Then realize that's warmer than the daily high during the cold spells.

Here is the problem.
    Its not "worth" 400k per se, it simply takes twice as much money to buy it now as opposed to 2017. Or/and/also itll take 400k+ to replace it.
    This is how they are destroying us, while we are distracted.

Here is what I've found.

This is true in Idaho for sure.

Last edited:
    Here is the problem.
    Its not "worth" 400k per se, it simply takes twice as much money to buy it now as opposed to 2017. Or/and/also itll take 400k+ to replace it.
    This is how they are destroying us, while we are distracted.
    Exactly. The buying power of the USD is declining and the politicians blame it on "inflation". Soon it will take a wheelbarrow full of USD's to buy a loaf of bread.
    No one is getting ahead.

Median hourly earnings of wage and salary workers in the United States from 1979 to 2021​

1695153641940.png

I know these 4 states would be horrible to move to. No good hunting and no good public land shooting opportunities 😜.

And for what's it is worth I am not moving from California and will not be bringing any liberal nonsense with me !

I also watch the Lt Col. Some of that is on BLM but he doesn't say where. Some of the footage is on private land he has access to.

I have not lived up there.

Here, in Texas, we have a paucity of public hunting land. Especially land that allows gun hunting. I live an hour from one of the units that allows gun hunting. Other units are archery only except for special drawn hunts for management.

The hard part of shooting different directions on public land is making sure no one is near for miles.

One can still shoot far. Kaufman County, Texas has a range that goes to a mile. But that is sitting or prone, not galavanting the side of a hill with Buggetnuster.

But yeah, wide open spaces. Sounds nice. Heck, my old high school mate has said that we should go to where his dad lives in west Texas. He has access to private property that has mule deer.

No one is getting ahead.

Median hourly earnings of wage and salary workers in the United States from 1979 to 2021​

View attachment 8231135
    Do you have a chart that shows the value of the US dollar on the same timeline as well? I know back in 2004 I purchased a brand new truck for $30k and now the same truck would cost $90k. My wages have not tripled in the same amount of time...

Cheyenne is not what it once was and it’s starting to fall inline with other problem areas. I was raised there and get back a few times a year so it’s easier to see the subtle changes over someone that is there full time. I would recommend the north half of the state but not so much for the southern half.