• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iDatabook

SgtKope

Back from a long vacation
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2008
Maryland/DC/Pennsylvania
First let me say I am a very patient person and I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I bought the iDatabook app for iPad/iPhone for $29.99 in November. I loaded three of my rifles data onto the app and all info for these rifles, round count, etc. I kept loading info into iDatabook and not on paper. In December my iPhone required an update so I pushed the update and all my data in iDatabook was lost. I sent them an email and got a quick response from James but in a nutshell he told me there was nothing he could do. I am very skeptical of putting any more info in as it may be lost again. I wanted to let anyone else know that is using this app to keep there info on paper as well just in case this happens to you. Thoughts???

Re: iDatabook

Is the problem when you updated your iPhone it didn't backup/save the data that was inside iDatabook? If that's the case, it sounds like a serious issue. Did you lose any other data from other applications installed on your phone?

I too lost all my info. Stored rifles, round count, etc. when i first got this The info was difficult at first but the guy who developed was very friendly and walked me through a couple things. However, the update erased info and I was a nay sayer when it was first talked about. I did not want to post more negative about a product that has so many pluses. I thought it might just be me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craig_m</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the problem when you updated your iPhone it didn't backup/save the data that was inside iDatabook? If that's the case, it sounds like a serious issue. Did you lose any other data from other applications installed on your phone? </div></div>

I didn't lose any other data on any other app on my phone. It is good to know I am not the only person this has happened to. It sucks that a $29.99 app that is supposed to store data is in fact doing the opposite.

I've found that many of my android apps (like games etc) will lose saved data when updating. Most apps actaully warn you that it may happen when updating. That's why I got myself a print app that lets me print from my phone to my printer. That way, I can hard copy important stuff when I need too.

Mutt,

That's great it's on a printed paper. You mean like a databook. Kope made a good point. It's actually doing opposite. Even if it is hard copy on paper you have to reenter the info. It is time consuming if I even had the info. I don't. I have a rough estimation for round count. I think the owner is pretty solid. Helped when asked. The idea is great. The program is flawed. Updates can happen to fix this error but I can't recover the info I lost. Unfortunately, I know the paper data won't have numbers fall off paper. I have not entered a single thing since my last update.

Charlie

I bought the program also, there have been no updates I know of since it's release for the iPhone. Given the price, and a series of discussed problems, support has been pretty poor. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in its current form.

James is working on it fellas! A few months back he filled me in on the whole deal. Issues are being worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">James is working on it fellas! A few months back he filled me in on the whole deal. Issues are being worked.</div></div>

Sounds like the guy from Grand River. Why cant someone from the company make a statement. It was good enough to sell but not good enough to say "please back up on paper because our product will in no way act like a databook." A warning about updating phone could have been issued. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the program also, there have been no updates I know of since it's release for the iPhone. Given the price, and a series of discussed problems, support has been pretty poor. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in its current form.</div></div>

Update your iPhone. Not the databook app. The app should have updates pretty regularly. I can sling a bird from a sling shot into a green pig and my phone can store that info plus it is also store in the cloud. Once again a great idea, but extremely poor follow through.

My iPhone 4 has all the current updates for the OS and all other apps, what are you talking about. There have been no updates available since I purchased it as I said.

What is the latest version of idatabook you have installed?

Have to agree. This is probably the most expense app I have bought (which is fine if it worked) and yet the product and update path are below par. There was one update which I assumed would fix the simple bugs for it did not. Some were fixed and others remain unusable. Great idea but would like to hear a definate time frame for rectification of these issues. Would be nice if it came from the company.

Paying $30 to be a beta tester isn't my idea of value. That company needs to get their crap together. It's a very promising app but they should have done more extensive testing and QC.

I hope they consider refunding at least partial cost if not all. I lost time, money, and resources because the developer was obviously inexperienced. 30.00 for an app that does the opposite of its intended purpose. .99¢ to sling birds at green pigs. Angry birds took off because it was fun and worked. You will kill this idea before it gets off the ground if you don't figure this stuff out. Still no response.

Sadly their Facebook page also lacks any feedback to questions posted by customers. While I love gadgets like this and it's just on the side of an old style hardcopy databook, I'm a bit reluctant to spend $ 30,- on it right now.

I'm glad I didn't allow myself to be suckered into buying this crap. Doing something easier or more convenient doesn't always mean it's better. This worthless app is a prime example of that.

iDatabook gave a reply to my question on Facebook.
Maybe it's of some use to those of you who'd already spend money.

I asked: I like the idea of the product but I'm somewhat concerned if it's $ 30,- well spend. There are some shooters on Snipers Hide that report a series of problems. Biggest problem is loss of all DOPE collected. Are these issues being addressed? Does the app support metric data?

Their reply: These issues are being addressed. We are working with intigrating iCloud to fix this problem. It does support metric data.

I haven't been on the hide in a while so I apologize for not addressing everyones concerns sooner. Here is a down and dirty of what's going on in the iDataBook world.

First and foremost, this app was never released with the intentions of the users testing the app to work out the bugs. On our final test version, everything worked as designed. That being said, I was made aware of some issues with the app after it was released for sale in the app store. These were not present in the final test version. The company that built the app (a reputable company) closed its doors for business the day after the app went live. My year of support for any problems with the app went out the window. I was able to retain the programmer (who no longer worked for this company), to continue to support and develop the app. For those of you who lost your data, it was as much of a shock to us, as it was to you. This is not supposed to happen when updates are released, as it doesn't happen on most other apps. We consulted with Apple on this and because core data was changed (and will be in some future updates), the app was completely erased (data and all) and re-installed. Our fix for this will be integrating with iCloud to sync the app prior to updating, then after installing the update, pulling your information back from the cloud.

I have had multiple requests for more targets, increased font size, page zoom, and others. A lot of these prior to the data loss. The data loss is our main focus right now. We were intending to fix a few bugs that had been identified and get the update out, prior to integrating any of the users wanted/needed additional features. Now the main focus is the data loss. Once this is fixed, I can assure you that the additional features will come.

None of this is happening as fast as I would like. I am, however, trying to make it happen as fast as possible. My initial deadline for the programmer was to be completed prior to the Shot Show. I have been burned in the past on completion dates, so I am a little leary of giving all of you one. I will start making a better effort of getting in here more often to address your concerns. If you have any specific concerns, you can also reach me through the contact info on the website, or message me through idatabook on facebook.

James Williams
iDataBook

I actually bought the app with the use of a $25 iTunes gift card I got for Christmas a few years ago that I forgot I had so I figured for $5 I would give it a shot.. While the program does have the potential to be good I think it is just too clumsy to use. It really becomes hard when you are using a ballistics program on your iphone also, switching back and forth between the two becomes very confusing and eats up a lot of time. As soon as my next pay check gets here tomorrow I will be ordering the kit that IDB sells, a much better use of your hard earned dollars in my opinion and no worries about data loss.

Mr. Williams,

I appreciate your great customer service. When I have emailed you have always been quick to respond. I realize a lot of this is not your fault, however people are paying $30 for and app that saves there data and right now it does not do that. Much of the information we put in to the data book is priceless, cold bore data especially. I will have a very tough time ever thinking about putting my data in an app again.

Just bought the IDatabook program and can't figure out where the holdover feature is. I also can't find the mapping feature for making a range card. The program shows imagery of both features in the sample screens before you buy the app but doesn't appear to actually have them in the program which upset me as it is false advertising if that is the case. Does anyone know?