• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Idea for bolt handle wrench.

Monkeyman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2003
Caribbean
As I was hunting around my workbench for the right driver bit to fit my two Remmy 700 action hex-screws it occurred to me that the bolt would be a perfectly good driver/spanner/wrench if the handle/knob was machined to fit standard hex-bits. I could then tape the bits to the inside of my floorplate and not have to look for tools to take the gun apart. What say you?

Re: Idea for bolt handle wrench.

watch the review of the vortex razor. They have a bolt handle knob that has a hex wrench in it that takes the scope off of the gun!!!! pretty damn cool idea to me.

I've got 2 truckloads of tools. But if it's something you want to do... Do it.

Good luck.

a one piece bolt/handle may work but there is no way i would use a soldered handle as a tool.

Add a ratchet!
smile.gif

This was discussed a few years back, most folks don't realize they already have everything they need to do this.

Here's a photo for the do it yourself types, also shown with the tactical black model.

knobjobkit20bm.jpg

Disclaimer: No bolt handles were harmed in the making of this picture.
grin.gif

i've ripped a bolt handle off using it the way it was intended. putting torque on the soldered (or even welded) handle is something i would not be willing to do on purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a one piece bolt/handle may work but there is no way i would use a soldered handle as a tool. </div></div>

Amen to that!

You know, i thought it looked really cool.

Then I stopped to think about the number of times that I have either needed to disassemble my rifle OR had the hardware come loose. I couldn't come up with one.

Torque and locktite are your friend. Not saying it can't happen, just saying I can't see a real need for it.

You'd be surprised how many scopes we see fail, especially at the current pace they are being used, and the SNOTs always carry extra scopes with them, some have a lot of extra scopes, and I can't think of any military class or even most government agency class we did with "systems' where we don't change a scope out because one failed, usually two or three fail per class in a normal training week.

Red Tac Gear LT pouch w/cut box end wrench and allens and torx for my scopes/rifles-the rifle don't leave home without it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd be surprised how many scopes we see fail, especially at the current pace they are being used, and the SNOTs always carry extra scopes with them, some have a lot of extra scopes, and I can't think of any military class or even most government agency class we did with "systems' where we don't change a scope out because one failed, usually two or three fail per class in a normal training week. </div></div>

Glad I bought a super sniper.
grin.gif