• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Idea for removing barrel from glue in barrel block?

locotrician

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
North east, united states
Trying to remove a 32 inch barrel from its glue in block the block is about 10 inches longs with a 1.5 inch hole , unsure of the exaxt epoxy used , tried freezing and a 12 ton press but no movement , trying not to ruin the block ,the guy wants the block back . Any ideas?

If this was in my shop I would likely resort to my C/K oven followed by more centralized heat applied with a high wattage hot air gun.

I wouldn't be too concerned about damage to anything with that. Torches are the things to avoid here... Good luck.

I've done many. Heat and lot of it or you'll be there all day . When you smell the epoxy breaking down use your press. I have a 20 ton press bought for just that purpose. Makes a good barrel vise these days. Call me if you want to talk about it.
704-864-7525

Make a sleeve to go over the threads to the shoulder then press on that. By plenty of heat I mean it will take careful application of an acetylene torch to get a mass that big to 400+ degrees.

Sleeve has been made already , gonna try to get around to heating this up and back to the press sometime next week , thank you guys for for your insight.