• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Idea (postponed)

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
I have an idea to add a little bit of an incentive to the rimfire matches. What do you guys think of certificates for placing 1st-3rd in your match?

I have done lots of computer graphics design so it would be easy to design a certificate. what do you all think? would you all like me to make something up?

If you have any ideas or opinions let me know thanks!

-The_Hoff

Re: To All Rimfire Competitors PLEASE READ!!

Frankly Hoff I have enough stuff around from shooting matches
and will likley never download an award to hang on the wall.
Through the net such awards don't need postage, and the idea could be implemented with out any cost if you volenteered to make it happen.
What I would really like to see is more competitors. How about going out to the range hanging a target and reporting your score?
The competition is tough, Carter, TOP, Smallbore, and Joe are very good. You don't have to beat them, just beat yourself.
It all starts with the first score posted.
Best regards,
Mark

Well Mark, your prayer has been answered tonight. Haha. I've been spying on this forum for quite a while, and now that I have my first rifle through its paces, I'll start posting some 100 and maybe 200 yard targets. If I shoot 200 yards, I will be practically laying in the road in front of my house, until I change where my range is set up. I'm not expecting much from my $300 setup, but if it scores me some points at 100 yards I'll be happy enough!

-Travis

my 2 cents:

i like the idea of shooting for something, but i'm not the kind that will not shoot if there is nothing to shoot for. i like the comps because it gives me a reason to shoot and compare notes with folks that have the same intrests. sure i wouldn't mind a certificate or something to that effect, but i'd have to think we'd need more folks shooting the comps.

i really thought that when JOE MARTIN proposed the matches, ALOT of people would shoot it just to shoot it. many talk of shooting hundreds of rounds at distance with the .22, why not post up a target and dedicate 25 rounds?

seems like a good "PUT UP OR SHUT UP" match, at the very least. (OH OH! sounds like a gauntlet being thrown down)

HOFF, like you i was thinking the same thing, even maybe getting some sponsers involved and getting some prizes, even if it's for a tee shirt. but i think the surprising lack of participation would obviously hinder that from happening too.

i salute your eagerness to make an addition that you describe. i'm for it, however with the 6 or 7 usual shooters we have throughout the different matches, almost everyone one would get a cert.

if a certificate would boost the amount of shooters, i would support it. i made up something similar for my local silhouette matches for much the same reasons - at least you walk away with something for a job well done.

i wouldn't trash the what i believe to be a good idea yet, perhaps just put it on the back burner until there's more opinions on it, and get a majority rule on it.

I would agree that the idea should not be trashed. Perhaps you could design an award for one of the events and post it for all of us to have a look at. It may very well inspire some to enter the matches and take part?

I'm sure we're all very appreciative of you making this offer to work some type of an awards document up. I know I am.

If such awards were worked up I for one would like to see (for example) the Short Range 25 and 50 Yard rolled into one award as a 50 shot Aggregate, and the same with the 100 & 200 yard Long Range ~ again into a 50 shots total Aggregate.

I don't believe anyone has touched on the 300 yard shooting as yet? I might be wrong on this. But overall, I think it's a very good idea.
smile.gif

Award certificates idea...

I think it's a good idea. I've been involved with comps where certificates were given, and some folks I know treasure them more than anything else they've received.

Personally, I think that if you think it's a good idea, you should go ahead, and not base your decisions on anyone else's views. If you think you should stop, that's your decision, too. You should not consider yourself under anybody's obligation but your own, whichever choice you make.

If people don't like what you do, let 'em do better. These things are your business if you choose to do them; and not someone else's.

Greg

Re: Award certificates idea...

Hoff,
Please excuse me because I did not intend to trash your idea.
Anyting that brings in more shooters is a plus.
But keeping it cheap is more important to me than winning a prize.
Don't want the entry fee to cut into my ammo budget!
Mark

Ok, after reading some of the reactions I found that I might revive the idea but must try to get more shooters involved first, also I love the idea of posting the target as a challenge
smile.gif

clodhopper - I never intended it to add any costs at all! I was planning on sending it via email to the winners and they could print it if they wanted to! It wouldn't add any fee to the matches.

Also I see how my old plan would end up giving everyone an award. I like the idea of an overall award, A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for the highest scores overall in long range, and short range competitions.

Certificates are a good, inexpensive way to give some recognition. Keep in mind that if it's the same group every month it's not uncommon for the same folks to win all the time (unless you get into creating classifications). I think it depends on the type of match. I know you're talking about the SH match and being online makes it different but...

I've shot a lot of different types of matches from NRA smallbore and service rifle to USPSA, outlaw 3Gun(unsanctioned), and informal or "fun" rimfire and practical type matches. They all had their own reward/recognition system. The local club level NRA SB for example had some small (2"X2") acrylic paperweight looking things with a bronze colored medallion for 1st-3rd. A local steel plate match gives out pins for 1st-3rd if there were enough shooters in the class (novice-master based on avg. time). I think they got them from a local trophy shop and ordered them with the range name, and finishing position. They look pretty neat and were cheap. Monthly USPSA normally have nothing other than the email the match director sends out with the scores overall and by stage. For the annual type matches plaques and possibly a little cash are the norm. Of course, then you get into match sponsors, prize tables, and so on.

In the last year or so I started shooting a 'fun' silhouette match. The MD breaks down the scores into groups. Normally 1-15 or 20, 20-25, 26-30, and 31-40. If there are at least three competitors in a class he pays back a little. Keep in mind it only costs five bucks to shoot. IIRC, I got a whole $6 back last time
smile.gif

I had an idea at work today for this...

Maybe a signature banner for the previous month's winner of the competition, like one of those 25x300px (ish, you get the idea) banners that would say "SH Current Champion - 100YD Prone" or something. It would sorta, kinda, eliminate that "One person wins every month, why try?" philosophy by not changing the banner if they win consecutively. There could also be a banner for the current record-holder of each competition.

Just my 2¢

-Travis

For example, our Paper 'Chuck Matches had award certificates which read as inductions into 'The Order of The Rude Marmot' (depicting a cartoon 'Chuck exhibiting a digital salute), with qualification as Meisterslayer First, Second, Third Class, etc.

Imagination pays...

Greg

I like the idea for the forum sig, its simple yet fuctional and still free! I am going to throw a few concepts together for you guys. I think I will also make a couple of certificate designs for special awards, or if a shooter requests one for a particular match.

edit: Ok I have a rough sig. design made! I am going to place it in my sig, I want everyone's opinions on the design, wording, etc.

Ohh Nice TP!! I like the idea but if we are going to use the sniper's hide logo we are going to have to get permission from lowlight because it is copyrighted.