• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideal 338 Lapua Barrel Length?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I’ve got a Remington 700 338 Lapua that has a factory barrel. What is the ideal barrel length to rebarrel with? It’s set in a Manners stock, but obviously that does not matter.

As long as possible lol

More seriously: it seems like the sweet spot is somewhere around 27"-30".

The more important question, imo, is what bullet type you want (and by extension, what twist rate you need).

Mine came from the factory at 30".

As has been said....what you doing with it?

I'd say 27".

A 20" barrel will have 308w type velocities and hence forth a bullet drop similar to 308w for reference. That'll give you an idea of how much velocity you could lose you start chopping it shorter.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: sinister
I’m going to shoot paper. I just want to squeeze everything out of it I can. I’m using 300 grain bullets. I also have 285’s.

For whatever reason Barrett went super short with the MRAD, 24" on the one I got. I can't bitch though for $4k all in, it was a smoking deal.

Reactions: schmi015
Something I found interesting between the 338LM & 338NM. I have both 27” factory AI bbl for my AXMC. the 338nm bbl able to reach 2785 FPS 86.5gr H1000 without any ejector mark on brass unlike the 338lm. I need to load the 338lm with 89~90gr H1000 to reach 2785~2800fps + sticky bolt lift. The ES of 5shots 338nm was 5fps and the 338lm was 15fps. (3 mins break between shots *65F & 1k ft above sea level) Both loads were jump 0.020 with 277gr CE mtac and Peterson brand brass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evlshnngns
Yes, out 1000 yards. I’ve got 83 steel targets of every kind out to 1000 on my range, just 100 yards over the hill from my new house. I can take the range out farther, as I’ve got 150,000 acres

I have a 300 UM (similar powder capacity) with a 26 inch barrel, and compared to other folks with 30 inch barrels, I've given away some velocity. When I rebarrel, I'll go for 30 inches.

Something I found interesting between the 338LM & 338NM. I have both 27” factory AI bbl for my AXMC. the 338nm bbl able to reach 2785 FPS 86.5gr H1000 without any ejector mark on brass unlike the 338lm. I need to load the 338lm with 89~90gr H1000 to reach 2785~2800fps + sticky bolt lift. The ES of 5shots 338nm was 5fps and the 338lm was 15fps. (3 mins break between shots *65F & 1k ft above sea level) Both loads were jump 0.020 with 277gr CE mtac and Peterson brand brass.

If you have a factory AXMC barrel, try seeing how it likes the 250gr ICBM2 solids from Badlands Precision
A lot of the Factory AXMC .338LM barrels seem to like lighter bullets.

If you have a factory AXMC barrel, try seeing how it likes the 250gr ICBM2 solids from Badlands Precision

How long is the badlands projectile lead time? They also have in stock?

Which AXMC barrels?

We make them all 1-9.35 twist barrels for the 338's built here in the States. That twist is more than fast enough for conventional 300gr match bullets. I run a 1-9.5.

The solid bullets in the same given weight as a lead core bullet are usually longer in length. Hence forth you might need a faster twist. Bullet length dictates twist more than anything else.

Again up to a 300gr lead core match bullet....most will fly in a 1-10 twist. The 9.35 or 9.5 is plenty fast.

Some older 338 barrels the original spec. was either a 1-11 or 1-12 twist and with those twist rates your not going over a 250gr type lead core bullet.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Problems for me the 338lm factory bbl was the short throat + design for mag length ammunition. With 300gr projectiles I have to seat all the way in and compress the charge for 2750fps velocity. I have to jam to the land and sometime pressure spike lead to sticky bolt lift.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
How long is the badlands projectile lead time? They also have in stock?

Right now they are having material shortages so they will have a longer than normal lead time.
Back when I last did an order a couple months back, they shipped a day or two after I placed the order.

If they are going to be out for a bit & you want to try some, I could send you a 10 pack.