• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideal 5.56x45 chamber for Berger VLDs seated at AR-15 magazine length?

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
Among service rifle shooters it seem to be popular to shoot something like a 77gr SMK from the magazine and then single-load the longer tipped (secant ogive) Berger VLD bullets for longer distances.

Unfortunately, that strategy does not lend itself well to tactical matches. If I already suffer the reduced accuracy of a semi-auto, I want at least the advantage of faster follow-up shots by feeding from the mag. I am thinking here about DMR matches and events where a bolt gun shooter (for long range) is teamed up with a semi shooter (for targets inside of 800 yards).

The 77 SMKs group excellent out of my current barrel at 600 yards with V0~2600fps but that load is deep into the trans-sonic region at 800 yards. The problem is that I cannot try easily what will actually happen due to local range limitations.

Rather than taking the risk of an unpleasant surprise, I would rather try to keep the speed above 1200 fps out to 800 yards at sea level. A bullet with a better BC would do that easier than trying to jack up the muzzle velocity for the 77SMKs.

The 70gr VLDs shoot alright (not as well as the SMKs) from my current Wylde chamber but due to the magazine length limitation I cannot explore the jump region Berger recommends for these bullets (.010 -.130).

Is there a chambering that is especially well suited for the Berger VLD bullets loaded at magazine length?

I do not care if that leade would be too short for M193 and M855, their commercial copies, or anything else you would buy in a store. Nobody else but me is going to use that barrel and I do not remember when I bought the last box of 5.56 factory ammo.

Last edited:
I don't know how long your barrel is or what brass and powder you use. But if you have a Wylde chamber and a barrel at least 18" long then 2700 to 2750 FPS is doable with 77 gr SMK's. Their really are not any mag length options with BC's vastly better then the 77 grain SMKs. The Swift Scirocco 75 gr has an advertised 0.425 G1 BC, but that bullets cost precludes it's use as a volume match bullet and is better suited to hunting situations.

The major problem is not your chamber. The problem is the nose length. Your AR allows a max COAL of 2.260". Your case length is 1.760". Therefore your max nose length is limited to 0.500". The 70 gr Berger VLD nose is .473" so your good. But it's BC is lower than Berger's 77 gr OTM Tactical bullet. And 75 gr Berger VLD with a sparkling G1 BC of .423 has nose is .570" long. So at mag length your ogive is below the mouth of your case.

The only way to stretch your range with a 5.56mm is to use a 24" or longer barrel. That will get your velocity up to over 2900 FPS with a 77 gr SMK or berger tactical with a 26" AR barrel in a 5.56 type lead chamber. Even then you will be in the 1250 FPS range at 800 yds, sub-sonic after 875 yds or so...

Last edited:
Among service rifle shooters it seem to be popular to shoot something like a 77gr SMK from the magazine and then single-load the longer tipped (secant ogive) Berger VLD bullets for longer distances.

Unfortunately, that strategy does not lend itself well to tactical matches. If I already suffer the reduced accuracy of a semi-auto, I want at least the advantage of faster follow-up shots by feeding from the mag. I am thinking here about DMR matches and events where a bolt gun shooter (for long range) is teamed up with a semi shooter (for targets inside of 800 yards).

The 77 SMKs group excellent out of my current barrel at 600 yards with V0~2600fps but that load is deep into the trans-sonic region at 800 yards. The problem is that I cannot try easily what will actually happen due to local range limitations.

Rather than taking the risk of an unpleasant surprise, I would rather try to keep the speed above 1200 fps out to 800 yards at sea level. A bullet with a better BC would do that easier than trying to jack up the muzzle velocity for the 77SMKs.

The 70gr VLDs shoot alright (not as well as the SMKs) from my current Wylde chamber but due to the magazine length limitation I cannot explore the jump region Berger recommends for these bullets (.010 -.130).

Is there a chambering that is especially well suited for the Berger VLD bullets loaded at magazine length?

I do not care if that leade would be too short for M193 and M855, their commercial copies, or anything else you would buy in a store. Nobody else but me is going to use that barrel and I do not remember when I bought the last box of 5.56 factory ammo.
If you want to shoot Bergers at mag length and keep the bullets close to or into the lands you'll need a .223 match chamber with a short freebore around .020-.030"

you can chase a unicorn or rebarrel to one of the 6mmAR variation, a bolt, barrel and mag is all you need and can reach to 1000 easily an an Ar15 platform
cheers

FWIW, my partner and I have shot the Thunderbeast Team Challenge the past few years and we've found the best rifle/caliber/load for the support rifle to be a 223 AR with 77gr SMK's out of a 20" JP PSC-11. Other quality brands of AR's in similar configuration I'm sure would perform as well. Hits on targets out to 700+yds were accomplished with the support rifle using this combo. The rifle also performed nicely in the CQB stages where target engagements were mostly 20yds and closer.

I wouldn't concede the point on bolt vs. AR accuracy as a factor in that type of competition.

You can shop magazines for more length, or borrow another trick from the service rifle types and slot the front of the magazine.

I've shot a lot of those 77 smks to 1km at 28.5 "Hg. They were started at 2750 fps from a 24" barrel. They transition well. Maybe 50% hits on a steel IDPA target if the winds were mild. The wind really bully's them though. If your course doesn't give a lot of wind information, the bc of that bullet is your weak link.

The 6s are the answer beyond 800 yards if you're competing against real long range rigs. I've just finished fire forming a bunch of 6brx brass in an AR Performance barrel and am enthused by the accuracy and performance so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 30