• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideal AR upper

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
In 1858 the venerable Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote a poem entitled the "One Wonderful Hoss Shay". Basically it was about a deacon who built a shay out of top notch materials as he was tired of having his current carriages fall apart a piece at a time. In the long run, the shay he built collapsed all at once as everything failed simultaneously. Along that line, if money were no object, what components would you use to build an AR upper that would be your ideal build? 5.56 build for accuracy, durability, capacity to suppress. I know that's asking a lot, but I am thinking of diving into such a build. I have a Noveske, a Daniel Defense and find them wonderful - but the bug to actually build my own AR (before I die!!) - and because everyone should build at least one AR in their life - has bitten me. Let's hear from you master builders what your choice of components would be!

Here’s what I recently did:
BCM upper receiver (thermal fit)
Geissele Mk16 15” handguard.
Bartlein 5R .875 under handguard and .750 gas block (similar to typical SPR barrel). 16” Mid gas.
Pinned SLR (non adjustable).
JP full mass bcg.
Badger G3 charging handle.
PSR bipod and SLR handstop / barricade stop.
Atacr 1-8 in Scalarworks mount plus offset T2 on an Arisaka mount.

May be hard to source parts for top tier build but this receiver and hand guard (or they make a receiver similar but compatible with a round hand guard) and then pick your personal barrel, matched bolt, gas block. Get a Seekins billet lower with your preference on trigger, grip, stock and have it built professionally or yourself if you know what you’re doing. It’s near monolithic.

I went 16” Proof CF w/ matches JP bolt, SA agb, Geissele SSA-E.
F501465A-27CE-4B0B-A74F-39E7E5397658.jpeg

Reactions: Biggie1976
For an absolute no-expenses spared-build, where every part in the gun represents the best example of that particular part (in my opinion). . .

I'd start by going shopping at JP Enterprises and get their:
SCI-20 side-charging receiver set,
LMOS BCG and high pressure bolt,
silent captured spring,
and handguard.

Then a Proof carbon fiber barrel,
SLR Sentry adjustable gas block,
TriggerTech Diamond trigger,
V7 titanium 53 degree ambi safety,
V7 titanium small parts,
and a stock of your choosing

Reactions: prairiefire
Mega matched set, custom spun bartlein ss, 18 inch barrel with white oak competition barrel extension, seekins bolt head spaced to it, slr adjustable gas block, Triggertech trigger, Magpul gen 3 prs

In 1858 the venerable Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote a poem entitled the "One Wonderful Hoss Shay". Basically it was about a deacon who built a shay out of top notch materials as he was tired of having his current carriages fall apart a piece at a time. In the long run, the shay he built collapsed all at once as everything failed simultaneously. Along that line, if money were no object, what components would you use to build an AR upper that would be your ideal build? 5.56 build for accuracy, durability, capacity to suppress. I know that's asking a lot, but I am thinking of diving into such a build. I have a Noveske, a Daniel Defense and find them wonderful - but the bug to actually build my own AR (before I die!!) - and because everyone should build at least one AR in their life - has bitten me. Let's hear from you master builders what your choice of components would be!

It's going to very much depend on what you want to do with it. If you don't need the added fps from 16+ inches this would be my set up.

12.5" mid length barrel
SLR sentry 7
V seven inconel gas tube
Hodge S lock 11.5
Hodge, Zev or Noveske stripped upper
Lmt enhanced bcg
Raptor sd
Lpvo(atacr) on a badger c1 1.7" and offset aimpoint
Direct threaded cgs helios qd ti
Full power peq
Modlite plhv2

Radian, adm, lmt mars lower
Vltor A5
Geissele sd-e/ssa-e

Rainier Arms parts are top-tier, and their barrels are some of the most accurate AR barrels I've ever owned.

Upper:
Vltor/BCM/Seekins upper
Triarc Track/Criterion Hybrid 12.5-16”
1/7“ twist
Mid- length
Nitrided gas tube
Pinned gas block
Muzzle device compatible with your favorite suppressor
BCM/Centurion/KAC/Hodge/Radian handguard
Radian SD-SL charging handle
LMT enhanced BCG

Lower:
Aero/Radian/LMT/ADM lower
SOLGW/etc. LPK
Trigger Tech Diamond/LaRue MBT-2S trigger
Radian Raptor ambi safety
Magpul BAD lever
Vltor A5 buffer system
QD end plate
BCM Mod 0/1 stock
BCM pistol grip
Geissele 5-axis trigger guard (if not integrated)

Building a no expense spared AR is fantastic if you can swing it. I’ve basically done that (minus a few things). It is by far the smoothest AR I’ve used and am very happy with it. All accessories are up to you depending on your main use case.

Last edited:
I'm actually building my approximation of this exact same rifle right now. I spent quite a bit of time researching this.

ADM UIC ambi lower
Vltor MUR upper
Ranier Arms Mountain Mod 2 14.5" barrel
Vltor A5 7 position buffer tube
Sprinco green spring
A5H3 buffer
Vltor Emod stock
LMT enhanced bolt carrier
JP Enterprises enhanced bolt
Geissele SD 3G trigger
Geissele mk4 13.5" handguard
Geissele Super Gas Block (pinned)
Radian Raptor SD charging handle
Radian Talon safety
Griffin Paladin taper mount
Fortis K2 end plate/castle nut
Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x
ADM Recon mount

Everything is either enroute or in hand. The MUR is on backorder so as soon as that arrives it will be going together. I really DIDNT want to build another 556, but the standardization and years of improvements is too hard to deny. That and the fact that I have more 556 than I could ever shoot will allow me to put rounds through it to ascertain reliability without worrying about depleting my stock.
Once I get 500 or so rounds through it, I'll do load development on some 77 grain SMK and some Barnes 70 grain TSX.

Last edited:
my ideal ar upper was one that fit the lower just like a glove fitting a hand and it had to work other than that my requirements were kept low pleasantly I have been happy with everyone of them so far at least they all work as intended when I make them work now if I could only take my faults out of the picture triggers and other parts can be added as you find out what you like or not like .

Well, I'm actually doing one right now:

-Custom medium profile Bartlein 14.5, 1:7 twist, mid-gas, 0.076" gas port, pin/weld Surefire SOCOM muzzle device, cerakote graphite black. Optimized to run with a H1. Made by @flyfisherman246 Misery Custom Rifles

Definitely not cheap, but he's a former USMC Scout/Sniper who knows his shit. Full disclosure: we did some overseas work together, so he is giving me a slight discount. He's running a business, not a charity.

Here's the profile he's cut for me.

Screenshot_20211002-060417_Chrome.jpg

Here it is after he test-fit everything together. Notice no shims for the brake because he cut the threads to time the brake correctly for my Surefire RC2 suppressor.

B2EE1AD5-9527-4779-8071-B163CB2EE011-1.jpg

-Bravo Company (BCM) thermo-fit upper

-Geissele Mk14 handguard 13.5"

-KAC front/rear flip up backup sights.

-AO Precision milspec BCG

-some form of ambidextrous charging handle

I have no clue what optic I'm gonna run. The possibilities are endless with LVPOs, dots, holographic, etc. Whatever.

-Lower gonna be Colt, or whatever.
-Trigger gonna be Geissele SSF

Last edited:
"Ideal" upper would probably be some monolithic variant, not sure who's making one now a days. Second option might be a design that is similar to a monolithic and has a forged/machined handguard interface that is part of the upper, like the Seekins DMR, Larue Stealth, Aero M4E1 Enhanced, Sergeant of Arms, etc...

Looks like ZEV is making Mega branded receivers again, if money was no issue that's what I would get (the one with the integrated handguard interface) https://www.zevtechnologies.com/mega-ar15-mml-billet-upper-receiver-with-16-m-lok-handguard

Then a Proof CF/Bartlein/Krieger barrel of choice.

SLR or Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.

JP BCG and Bolt.

If you're putting that kinda money in an upper might as well get the matching lower and put some good money in it too. (JP SCS, TT Diamond, etc)