• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ideal reticle for 16" 308 gas gun

lj_1187

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Amarillo, TX
I've decided to run my 16" sr25 in a dmr role. I like the leupold mk 6 3-18 scopes. And I can get a nice discount on one. Im a newbie to this type of shooting, but I plan to take a few classes when it gets warmer out. The horus reticles seem easy to use, but a lot of guys seem to like the tmr as well (which is now available with their new turrets and illuminated reticle). Which direction would you guys go with the scope/reticle if you were in my shoes?

MSR has a scouty/snipery feel to it that is more than just tacticool. I have an H2CMR and like it for its simplicity yet it can still mil down to the degree of the MSR right on the crosshair.

DMR role? Something simple... We're talking fast employment in a dynamic(ish) environment. On my 16" .308 I swap between a S&B 3-12x50 PMII P4F and a Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS with the M-TMR, each in GDI mounts. Neither are exactly ideal (carried over from other rifles, not purpose purchased), but they do work very well.

With Leupold, I wouldn't stray away from TMR or standard mil-dot even. I would also give the velocity reticles from Nightforce a look as well. Match it up to your load and you can employ it rapidly at distances, while still having the capability to dial when necessary or preferred.

Im looking at the h59, tremor2, and maybe going the other way with an illuminated tmr. If I went with the h59 I would not get the nice low profile locking turrets. Any advice for a newbie looking to fill the intended role of this rifle?

New nightforce 2.5-10 a dr.optic or a trijicon mounted ( or irons) mounted at 45 degrees

I have the TMR in my 3-18x Mk6. It's the only reticle option I even considered from the Mk6 line up. It's very light weight/compact for the magnification range, and I have no real complaints about the glass, except it catches a lot of glare at 15-18x looking anywhere near the direction of the sun.

For a DMR platform I'd look at the 2.5-10x offerings from Nightforce. I've grown emotionally attached to mine (see VJJ's avatar picture). Pick a mil or MOA based reticle you like and you'll be happy.

I am not a fan of the Hor(rible)us reticles.