• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for a set of optics

KLambert05

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
United States
So this is my first post, but I have been browsing these forums for a long time. I finally have some money to spend, and with a birthday coming up soon, I will be getting a new toy
smile.gif
. I am going to get a Remington 700 action SPS tactical in a .308 with the 20" heavy barrel. Now I've been doing a ton of research, but just cannot figure out which optics I will be using. I'm a college student, so I don't have a lot of money and I'm budgeting about $300 for my optics. I do mostly target shooting between 100 and 400 yards, along with pig and deer hunting (those shots are only around 100-200 yards) and I use pretty much only hand loads, if that makes a difference. Any suggestions?

Re: Ideas for a set of optics

I just picked up one of these bad boys for my SPS Varmint in 308. http://www.snipershide.com/2010/08/weaver-grand-slam-3-10x-tactical/

They are on sale at Midwayusa http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=598484

and also Weaver has a free Buck Commander backpack promo as well

http://www.weaveroptics.com/whatsnew/promotions/.

It is very simple and streamline, only 1" tube though, but it will serve my intended purpose (mildot practice, ringing steel, and hunting out in the prairie).

Might want to have this moved or posted in optic section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to have this moved or posted in optic section. </div></div>

I noticed that like two seconds after I posted it, but seeings as how this is my first post, i have no idea how to do that.

I'm in your same boat. Have almost the same gun and I'm on a college kid budget too. I think I'm going with a vortex viper pst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in your same boat. Have almost the same gun and I'm on a college kid budget too. I think I'm going with a vortex viper pst. </div></div>

i was actually just viewing the vortex scopes and I'm thinking I may drop a cheap tasco I have laying around on it and save up a bit more for one of the vortex scopes, they are only another couple hundred and from the reviews they seem to have been getting, they seem like a good low budget scope of choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA SS10x42. $300 new. I love mine. </div></div>

This also looks like a valid option, though it would be my first fixed powered scope, and I will really have to think about it, I like being to zoom in and out for different shooting purposes. But thanks for the input, I will definately keep this one in mind, it has everything else I'm looking for in a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin05</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA SS10x42. $300 new. I love mine. </div></div>

This also looks like a valid option, though it would be my first fixed powered scope, and I will really have to think about it, I like being to zoom in and out for different shooting purposes. But thanks for the input, I will definately keep this one in mind, it has everything else I'm looking for in a scope. </div></div>

I hear ya, it was my first as well. I went 10x so I could hunt as close as 50 yards with no over-magnification problems. It was living on the edge for me (going fixed power) but I've never looked back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin05</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA SS10x42. $300 new. I love mine. </div></div>

This also looks like a valid option, though it would be my first fixed powered scope, and I will really have to think about it, I like being to zoom in and out for different shooting purposes. But thanks for the input, I will definately keep this one in mind, it has everything else I'm looking for in a scope. </div></div>

I hear ya, it was my first as well. I went 10x so I could hunt as close as 50 yards with no over-magnification problems. It was living on the edge for me (going fixed power) but I've never looked back. </div></div>

I think I am going to go with this one, at least until I can afford one of the vortex viper pst's, then I can hand this one down to the 22-250 and use for those varmints.

I can almost guarantee you'll be happy. If you don't have a base/rings picked out, I highly recommend EGW for a base ($30 fits nicely into a low budget). As for rings, I think you'd be solid with either Burris XTRs, Warne, or TPS. They're all around $50/set. I have the 30mm Burris low rings on my Savage with an EGW base and the SS10x42. The scope clears with plenty of room even with flip caps.

Thanks for your help, ill check back about it after my birthday and let you know how everything turns out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you're on a real thin budget (college) and each little bit helps, consider getting the Remington 700 SPS Varmint instead of the Tactical.

It's $75 cheaper no matter where you buy it from:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint factory rebate </div></div>

I want the 20" barrel though, I already have a Savage btcss that is a 26" heavy barrel, and as much as I love that gun, it is horrible to tote in the field while hunting.

SS10X42 all the way
how ever if you can find a like new SS10X42M in the optics section go for it and have fun.

Where are the SFWA SS scopes made? I tried to do some research but came up short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curnow26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS10X42 all the way
how ever if you can find a like new SS10X42M in the optics section go for it and have fun. </div></div>

Roger that, cap'n. I picked up my SS10x42M used for $320 including shipping and Butler Creek caps. Plus, SWFA's warrantee is out-freaking-standing, so you're covered if buying used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ldman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B 5-25 and never look back! </div></div>
yeah i said $300 not $3000