• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas For Budget Savage 1000yrd Gun

Jthom091

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
I am thinking of going with A Savage .300 Win Mag but I want to know which base model is the best Bang for your buck. It Seems to me that the 500-600$ Savages are the same as the 800-900 dollar Savages with move cosmetics, which don't matter to me I will end up getting my own stock anyway.

I'd suggest just building it yourself.

Buy the action from a dealer -- If you go on Savage Shooters - Home you can find a few stores w/them...Make sure you get the LA

Barrels are 12 weeks + atm, but, savage pre-fits are easy to find.

My suggestion would be to get 2 barrels, 1 in 338 lapua and 1 in .300wm but, you're on a budget.

Rest is fairly straight forward...

Definitely suggest building. You can pick up a new action for a 3 to $500 depending on which action you choose. There are cheaper alternatives if you can find a cheap rifle as a donor for the action which is the route I went.

Any reason for 300 WM versus other calibers that can definitely reach 1k? If budget is a concern, there are other calibers that'll do 1k that will be cheaper to shoot.

I built my barreled action for under $500 (spent $100 for the action by buying an inexpensive rifle and selling off the parts and then getting a Criterion Barrel (CBI) pre-fit for $315 shipped. I also upgraded the recoil lug and barrel nut. It already had the accutrigger and it does fine for my needs. I went with a 260 Rem (26" Varmint profile 1/8 twist longer freebore than a standard 260 Rem and these barrels are handlapped), but I reload. If you don't reload, you could get a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Well I want this to be a all around gun. I want the 300 because I want a lot of knock down power. I'm not a little person and the 300 doesn't bother me. I was looking at the Savage Long Range Hunter in 300? How do you feel about this gun for a good all around long range gun for someone to build their skill using?

It would be cheaper and easier to build from scratch. But if you want a rifle thats shootable till all your parts come in to start modifying your gun, it will do. Im not a fan of that stock for prone shooting though.

If you want to buy a factory Savage in 300 for longrange hunting and shooting, I would say go with the 110 FCP with the HS Precision stock. As others have stated you can build a better gun with the vendors on SavageShooter, mainly Jim at NSS. He has tons of prefit Shilen, Criterion, and McGowan barrels in stock, plus actions, recoil lugs, barrel nuts, stocks, etc. I don't think you will come out cheaper as some have stated, I never do, but you will have an absolute nail driver. If you have any questions about building a Savage feel free to PM me.

Built mine off a target action I had my dealer order from savage. Krieger barrel was fit remington style for me, but you can use the nut and do it yourself to save a few bucks. Trigger was good to go for a bit and the action needed no reworking. I dropped it in a mcmillian A5 and life is good.

I think I am going to look more into building one. This will be my first build so any help you guy can provide would be much appreciated.

Get a LRP in either of the 6.5s and be done. If you need a more vertical grip stock, Manners makes drop in's for them. Get some DarkEagle 10rd mags and have fun.
You don't need a 300WM to get to 1K.
If you build you will way over the price of the LRP and not really get anything more (except a different stock).

Budget stocks are going to be your problem with a Savage long action.

He's looked at the Choate and that is a decent budget alternative. I've built a 308 in a LA and used a Choate stock and it was rock solid. Didn't require bedding (saving a few more pennies) and was very easy to install.

Give Jim Briggs from Northland Shooters Supply for a CBI barrel (Northland Shooters Supply). $315 shipped for a 300 Win Mag and a profile of your choice. A Varmint Contour is probably a good choice for an all around profile. Jim will definitely have suggestions for your profile as well as barrel length based on your specific needs (range time versus hunting time versus other). Highly suggest getting the NSS recoil lug and barrel nut.

He also has new actions if you want to go to a single source for everything.

Stock is a personal preference item. I have used the Choate in LA and is a decent choice.

I am starting to believe the 6.5 creedmoor would be a better way to go. How do you guys feel about the 300 vs the 6.5?

If your referring to the Bell & Carlson Medalist (Tactical) stock, they're for a short action only (model 10, 12 etc. ... Not 110, 112 etc.) The Choate, as mentioned above, would make for a decent stock. They make them for long actions as well.

As far as the LRP, I have one in 260 and love it for a less than $1000 factory rifle. The 260 or Creedmoor would make an excellent target / hunting round with the right bullet choices. The newer LRP's have been shipping with a different HS stock (more vertical grip). Do a search on the LRP's & I believe that 99% of what you find will be positive.

I like the LA Center Feed Tactical Stock. That price is good for me too. Next is the Action and what caliber I need. I cant decide the.308 looks good, 7mm looks good, the .300 win mag looks good, now the 6.5 looks good (maybe). I'm confused, torn, and guys I don't know which way is up! . I want something that shoots flat hits hard and I can find in most gun shops.

6.5x284 Norma would also be good alternate. I have one in the long range hunter and is a tack driver. I use mine for hunting though.

I and studying ballistic charts now. I want something that carries lots of energy isn't effected by wind to bad and can go a long distance

Are you concerned about barrel life or cost of ammo much? Making a practical caliber choice is difficult but there are several more good choices if those things aren't considered.

You say you want a flat shooting hard hitting 1k caliber, well then the 308 is not your caliber as i see youre torn now. I shoot and love the 308 but it is by far NOT the caliber to choose from if 1k yard, flat shooting, hard hitting is your goal. Just my opinion. Honestly, you say you are a big guy and the 300 doesnt scare you, then i would suggest looking at the 338's.

You say you want a flat shooting hard hitting 1k caliber, well then the 308 is not your caliber as i see youre torn now. I shoot and love the 308 but it is by far NOT the caliber to choose from if 1k yard, flat shooting, hard hitting is your goal. Just my opinion. Honestly, you say you are a big guy and the 300 doesnt scare you, then i would suggest looking at the 338's.

I agree to a certain extent but, IMO, the 300wm is the right answer -- It's flat *enough* that he could more then likely get away with it and it's still easier to shoot/find then .338's are atm.

I agree to a certain extent but, IMO, the 300wm is the right answer -- It's flat *enough* that he could more then likely get away with it and it's still easier to shoot/find then .338's are atm.
And i will certainly agree with you about the 300, i guess i just took it to the extreme as it seems like he's almost looking for extreme potential.

Savage stocks are always up forsale used on the classifieds between here and accurate shooter. If you can find a used stevens action that would be your best bet. Entire Stevens rifles can be had for 250ish. Get yourself a Criterion for 300ish and a trigger. If you are thinking budget then any 338 is out of the question. 300 mag would be out in my opinion. 30-06 or 260 would be my go to.