• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for customizing your AI AX

Subxero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
PA
Ok so the other day i had an idea to put full length rail on my AI AX tube.

So i put things into motion and a prototype is born and here is what i came up with pretty simple really.

First some pics... please keep in mind it is exactly what i had said, simply a trial run to see if i could do it and to see how well it worked. Also this is not finished yet, i have not cleaned anything up, this is about as raw as it gets.

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

Ok so now here is how i did it

1st buy some rails, The rail on the bottom is this one
el cheapo but i must say it mounted perfectly and is solid
http://www.amazon.com/12in-Aluminum-Forend-Picatinny-A-5-10-1360/dp/B004VR12P0

the side rail is actually same make, ATI, but it is a 17" top rail for a high point 9mm carbine. This would be great but part of the bottom is tapered which i didn't know when i bought it for $35 bucks or so if i remember correctly. It still mounted fine, but for a final product this would not be ideal
http://www.opticsplanet.net/advanced-technology-hi-point-17in-aluminum-top-picatinny-rail.html

If you are serious about this JP rifles makes various sized rails but they are not cheap
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mod.php

the 15" rail would probably be ideal for the sides and the top (if you have the scope clearance and i clearly don't)

Next, get some more of those fancy screws that AI uses to mount to the tube... So unfortunately they are impossible to get more...at least for now. But you get 6 to start.

what i did, bought Hex socket set screws (5/16 x 1/2")
just google them to see what they are if you don't know, all image links were a mile long.

So yeah, bought those and used a dremel to shape it just like the screws the AI AX comes with....but heres the catch. These screws are normal thread unlike the AI screws this will matter later.

So next, simply took rails, measured where the holes should be (pre drilled holes that came in rails did not line up) Drilled new holes 1/4" bit, then used 5/16" tap to tap them. I tapped them from the top so the home made screws would work, but they tighten backwards, soo lefty tighty rightly loosy. I used all home made special screws.

If you plan on using the AI screws make sure you tap the holes correctly.

lightly deburred the holes at base side and simply mounted the rail and that is what you see in the pics.

I have not completely cleaned the holes up on top, i will most likely give them a little paint. plus i have some dark earth ladder rail covers coming in soon i will slap on to see what it looks like and they will most likely cover up the holes.

So I am definitely more of a prototype guy, i will get it together and working but a finished refined good looking product was never my strong suit. That being said, i think some guys with some real talent could really make this work.

I think if i had the scope clearance for a rail on top, it would look very similar to the AI AX rifles and completely bad ass.

Best,
Joe

P.S. don't mind the steelers stuff, this is at my old mans place...he has all the tools

Re: Ideas for customizing your AI AX

no comments? i guess i'm the only one who found this interesting...

Looks good. I have been patiently waiting for AI to release the full length rails. This looks like a great idea for very low cost. It would cool if I can find some extra rail bolts though.

Looks good like it would already be a factory option.

AX vs AW... just curious why you picked the AX? Are you planning on NV stuff?

An AW or AX is definitely on my list for the future but I'm not sure which one yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good like it would already be a factory option.

An AW or AX is definitely on my list for the future but I'm not sure which one yet. </div></div>

The only reason i really picked the AX was for looks and i do like the pistol grip.

I just wanted a modern looking rifle that was different. I only do shooting for pleasure so weight, all that stuff that is important to a guy in the field doesn't really matter to me. I would still like to get an AW though, in something smaller like .243

I have heard talk of AI putting out a rail accessory kit in the future but who knows.

Was annoyed i could not find more screws anywhere, but the make shift ones work really well, and if you really wanted you could take it a step further, and make your own screws completely from a piece of steel bar and reverse thread them ect... so they are just like the AI ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good like it would already be a factory option.

An AW or AX is definitely on my list for the future but I'm not sure which one yet. </div></div>sounds good .
g.gif

Here is another link i found for picatinny blanks,

this seems to be the way to go, they sell 16 inch blanks for $30 which would be the perfect length for sides and top

http://www.egwguns.com/extrusion/

Ai makes a long pic rail. I took it off my ax.