• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for engraved phrase..

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
No, not going to get too cheesy here...that's not how my family does things haha.

Most fathers (or grandfathers) have "their" firearm. It's been with them for years, it's their choice over anything modern or "better". You all know what I mean. To my father, it's his shotgun. I've tried getting him into Benellis, Citoris, several nice shotguns so I could get one for him as a gift. He's had quite a few over the years, but always sells them and goes back to "his".

Instead of trying to change the orbit of the Earth, I've finally wised up and just want to give him a true gift rather than a monetary facade of one.

So I plan on borrowing his shotgun without him knowing and getting a phrase/saying engraved on it somewhere. It won't look out of place, since while old and well used the gun has a gloss finish still and is not beat to hell. But I need ideas! Would prefer a funny, slightly sarcastic/smartass comment (it's just how our family is), something that will make him chuckle every time he picks it up. But I am open to more serious sniffling-inducing phrases as well.

No real guidelines, and not worried about length too much, just start firing off ideas please! I know that it would be better coming from my own thoughts as only I know the relationship me and my father have...but I am one of the least imaginative, non-creative, unoriginal people. Period. Case in point, I couldn't even think of a good analogy to show how unimaginative I am! haha So let's hear 'em!

Re: Ideas for engraved phrase..

If he was in the military I would go that route I had a shotgun with my fathers year of service in nam 68 and 69 his nickname " El Chicano" of course back then it was a derogatory statement that he was a beaner and guess what I hate beans! Haa.
I also put 101st airborne division on it.
On another rifle for my grandfather I put a phrase he would always say" remember if we forget about our past. We are doomed to repeat it" I never knew why he told me that at such a young age. I now know why.
I sure miss that old Korean veteran and my dad the Vietnam vet. There is a void in my life that they could only fill.
Thanks Joe Milera

As I was reading the OP I thought to myself, "If one of my boys engraved anything, especially smartass, on my favorite gun I would consider beating them with it!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I was reading the OP I thought to myself, "If one of my boys engraved anything, especially smartass, on my favorite gun I would consider beating them with it!" </div></div>

quoted for truth. You know your dad better than we do, but I would be livid if someone engraved my favorite gun without my permission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jr81452</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I was reading the OP I thought to myself, "If one of my boys engraved anything, especially smartass, on my favorite gun I would consider beating them with it!" </div></div>

quoted for truth. You know your dad better than we do, but I would be livid if someone engraved my favorite gun without my permission.</div></div>
yup. This is what I was gonna say yesterday, but figured "mind your own business". Good luck on pleasing your dad. You know him, I/we don't.

Very valid point! Alright, so that idea just went out the window then haha. Thanks guys. (and that's a sincere thank you, not sarcasm)

Now if my boys gave me an old beater shotgun with something funny engraved on it I would laugh my ass off and cherish it like I would my favorite working guns.

Get him an airsoft copy of a benelli and have "this could have been the real thing" engraved.

If it's a model that has replaceable or quick change barrels, have it marked "From your loving son. May this gun NEVER MISS." on the barrel or another barrel if it's like a Rem 1100 or 870 that does a really quick change. And do it in a block letter font. Some of the fancy fonts are hard to read on curved / colored surfaces.

Good luck.

Buy him ammo and a Katadyn Micro water filter.

We're beyond the economic stage of cutesy gifts. Get him something practical that says, "Dad, I love you enough to want you to keep living when the only water left is potentially hazardous to your health without filtration."

Do not dick around with the man's trusted old shotgun. He might throw you a beating you will not forget.

Get him a nice bottle of bourbon or whatever he likes, 2 glasses and spend some time around a fire with him talking about the "good old days". Dad's like that. My dad does not hardly drink at all but we take an annual trip to CO once a year and ski, hike, snow mobile and ice climb. At night we sit around a bon fire and laugh about how bad I was as a kid. He loves that, and I love my time with him. Your time with your parents is precious, spend it wisely.