• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for Modular Reloading Setup in Custom Gun Vault

David Lepley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello All,

I am building a gun vault in a custom home and want to incorporate my reloading area to the room. I am planning for a wall and island of built-in cabinets with granite tops. I am thinking of having the granite drilled in a few areas with a hole pattern (I.e. 4X0.625@16”x20”pattern). This pattern could then serves as a basis for mounting sacrificial butcher block tops or custom milled/stamped fixtures.

Any ideas on the above?

Dave

• Love
Reactions: Balor
Neat idea. I'd think granite easier to wipe clean, but seeing it full of holes would bug me. I'd consider it for my next island cleaning station, with a single set of holes to mount my vice.

Anecdotally, ball bearings or springs dropped on steel benches tend to venture further than when I fumble them onto wood tops.

Reactions: Balor and simonp
They have all kinds of neat solutions.

Hello All,

I am building a gun vault in a custom home and want to incorporate my reloading area to the room. I am planning for a wall and island of built-in cabinets with granite tops. I am thinking of having the granite drilled in a few areas with a hole pattern (I.e. 4X0.625@16”x20”pattern). This pattern could then serves as a basis for mounting sacrificial butcher block tops or custom milled/stamped fixtures.

Any ideas on the above?

Dave
Are these through holes? If so, where do the holes end? In other words, when (not if) you drop stuff into one of those holes, where is it going and how hard will it be to find?
Personally, I would not use granite and I certainly would not use exposed through holes in the primary top, no matter the material.
The granite would look cool and all, certainly bougie. It should be heavy and stable if supported on a floor that is also stable.
I just don't think it would be very practical. As mentioned, the bounce factor of stuff dropped. Will you be using this same material for a cleaning station? I'm not so sure it really is better as far as chemical stuff goes, sure, likely not affected structurally but what about staining? Maybe use a scrap and drop some of the various chemicals on it, let it sit for several minutes.

Hello All,

Any ideas on the above?

Dave
I think you'd be a lot better off just doing a nice hardwood butcher block. Std selection granite is cheap enough but just not a great material for a loading bench. I think wood makes an ideal top then out a granite slab in an area or two on tip for various tasks. I have a quartz piece is use on top of my butcher block tops that works really well. Also, check out the reloading room thread and you can see some good ideas.

The main thing I'd do is give lots of options for power and think about what all you will be using and have spaces for it and power for it.

I think you'd be a lot better off just doing a nice hardwood butcher block. Std selection granite is cheap enough but just not a great material for a loading bench. I think wood makes an ideal top then out a granite slab in an area or two on tip for various tasks. I have a quartz piece is use on top of my butcher block tops that works really well. Also, check out the reloading room thread and you can see some good ideas.

The main thing I'd do is give lots of options for power and think about what all you will be using and have spaces for it and power for it.
BUT....HOPEFULLY....he finished this project MANY months ago.