• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for precision AR-15 build?

pugnado

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2018
So I recently built a cheap .223/5.56 AR 10.5" barreled 'pistol' upper and brace lower to complement my 8.5" 300 blackout pistol, and I have to say it really sucks and I am not impressed with the ballistics or the accuracy. (I have been spoiled by a top end semi AR-10 6.5 Creedmoor build.)

It doesn't really do anything that my 300 blackout can't do with supersonics. A lot of overlap and the only advantage is that it's just cheaper to plink with.

I've been looking at DMR and SPR and Mk12 type rifles and I think I'd like to trash the 10.5" barrel and replace it with something a bit longer and better shooting. I'm thinking some kind of Wylde chambered 18" or 20" 416R stainless steel with a rifle length (or more!) gas system.

Ideas that I have in mind after some research:

Some kind of 18" or 20" 416R stainless steel barrel, rifle length gas, Wylde chamber. Ballistic Advantage or WOA, not sure yet. I don't need any carbon fiber wrapped thing. Recommendations?
Some kind of 2 stage trigger, I really like the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Trigger in my AR-10, but it is very expensive and I don't need all that adjustability. Good alternative?
A stock. I have the MagPul PRS3 Gen 2 on the AR-10, but it is very big and expensive. Perhaps Luth AR? I really only need a cheek riser as the standard M16 A2 buttstock length works well for me. Might just do that and play with various height scope mounts.
An optic, I'm thinking something that's a fixed 10x. I have a cheap adjustable 3x to 9x and never use anything but 9x.

At this point I don't really care if the 10.5" components go into the parts bin or get recycled, not really interested in keeping it functional.

I may be biased as a Service Rifle shooter but a Rock River Arms NM A2 or A4. There are pricier options but it's ready out of the box.

I will say this, don’t use a forged upper. Use a billet upper or even better yet a monolithic upper. My wilson combat forged upper receiver flexed when not using the bipod with a suppressed 24” 224V. It took me a whole match day to realize why I was consistently .5mil low when not using the bipod.

You'll probably get frustrated with a fixed 10x if your plan is to shoot one hole groups. And you'll probably get frustrated with it if you plan to shoot long range in varying terrain, conditions and lighting. Or need to read wind way out yonder. There's too many good variables out there now to go fixed mag.

I just finished a build with a 20" Ballistic Advantage Fluted barrel. I haven't shot it enough to really comment, but so far so good. I agree with the comments on the fixed 10x scope.

Reactions: stilesg57
Craddock Precision for the barrel, end of story.

TriggerTech Diamond Trigger.

Luth-AR Stock.

You will want more than 10x on the optic. 3-15x Razors are a good deal, but there are many others.

Reactions: Pusher591
Maybe a picture to spur ideas....

1:8 WOA 18" bbl
SPR rail
Magpu furniture
SPR barrel overmount suppressor

I will say this, don’t use a forged upper. Use a billet upper or even better yet a monolithic upper. My wilson combat forged upper receiver flexed when not using the bipod with a suppressed 24” 224V. It took me a whole match day to realize why I was consistently .5mil low when not using the bipod.

Something else has to be at play here, to many accurate rifles have been built on forged receivers and never had issues. I doubt the upper receiver was flexing, much less the handguard was making the upper flex.

Scott

Something else has to be at play here, to many accurate rifles have been built on forged receivers and never had issues. I doubt the upper receiver was flexing, much less the handguard was making the upper flex.

Scott

Agreed.

Vltor MUR's are another option if one is concerned about upper receiver "flex" and/or rigidity.

I've got a Seekins 3G2 upper I've been super happy with. Federal Gold Medal Berger 73gr was ~.5MOA at 100 and consistent out to 800 yards, despite the low velocity. The fact that the handguard attaches directly to the upper (not the barrel nut or a collar) was a nice feature, too, especially for shooting off barricades or loading a bipod.

This is my current build. Should be complete tomorrow.

Aero ambi lower and no forward assist upper
Giessele SSA-E, MK-18 rail, charge handle, and buffer system
BHW 18’ Rifle SPR
XLR stock

Picture of the mock-up with SWFA donor scope before assembly.

So I recently built a cheap .223/5.56 AR 10.5" barreled 'pistol' upper and brace lower to complement my 8.5" 300 blackout pistol, and I have to say it really sucks and I am not impressed with the ballistics or the accuracy. (I have been spoiled by a top end semi AR-10 6.5 Creedmoor build.)

It doesn't really do anything that my 300 blackout can't do with supersonics. A lot of overlap and the only advantage is that it's just cheaper to plink with.

I've been looking at DMR and SPR and Mk12 type rifles and I think I'd like to trash the 10.5" barrel and replace it with something a bit longer and better shooting. I'm thinking some kind of Wylde chambered 18" or 20" 416R stainless steel with a rifle length (or more!) gas system.

Ideas that I have in mind after some research:

Some kind of 18" or 20" 416R stainless steel barrel, rifle length gas, Wylde chamber. Ballistic Advantage or WOA, not sure yet. I don't need any carbon fiber wrapped thing. Recommendations?
Some kind of 2 stage trigger, I really like the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Trigger in my AR-10, but it is very expensive and I don't need all that adjustability. Good alternative?
A stock. I have the MagPul PRS3 Gen 2 on the AR-10, but it is very big and expensive. Perhaps Luth AR? I really only need a cheek riser as the standard M16 A2 buttstock length works well for me. Might just do that and play with various height scope mounts.
An optic, I'm thinking something that's a fixed 10x. I have a cheap adjustable 3x to 9x and never use anything but 9x.

At this point I don't really care if the 10.5" components go into the parts bin or get recycled, not really interested in keeping it functional.

Maybe something like this...it’s a laser: 18” Rainier Ultramatch barrel, JP/Syrac adjustable gas block, Lantac dragon brake, Diamondhead handguard, Seekins Precision billet receiver set, Geisselle SD-E, Magpul stock, Ergo grip, JP LMOS with JP bolt, Raptor AXTS charging handle, etc...

6EB9237C-7D92-42C6-B7B3-4683626662D6.jpeg
F1F51B2B-407E-467C-A6D5-257AA2EFFE99.jpeg

Here’s my “Go To” formula for an accurate AR-15 upper:
Compass Lake Engineering barrel on a premium blank. Choose the length a profile to suit your needs. Get a bolt at the same time
Gas block to match the journal diameter- adjustable if you want to, but not a “Must Have” for .223 / 5.56.
I like BCM upper receivers - the ID of the bore for the barrel extension is machined a couple of thousandths smaller for a tighter fit - no glueing required if the extension is within spec.
Bolt carrier- get it from CLE or a complete Toolcraft for about $70 and now you have a spare bolt.
Free float hand guard - pick what you like. I’ve used Seekins on the last couple of Grendel builds and have been happy with them so far

Here’s my “Go To” formula for an accurate AR-15 upper:
Compass Lake Engineering barrel on a premium blank. Choose the length a profile to suit your needs. Get a bolt at the same time
Gas block to match the journal diameter- adjustable if you want to, but not a “Must Have” for .223 / 5.56.
I like BCM upper receivers - the ID of the bore for the barrel extension is machined a couple of thousandths smaller for a tighter fit - no glueing required if the extension is within spec.
Bolt carrier- get it from CLE or a complete Toolcraft for about $70 and now you have a spare bolt.
Free float hand guard - pick what you like. I’ve used Seekins on the last couple of Grendel builds and have been happy with them so far

That is essentially what i did.

CLE Bartlein 17.9 1:7.7. 556. CLE Chamber. Matching bolt.
Vltor Upper
Noveske lower

90 rounds down the pipe as of this morning. She is starting to round into form. This is the most accurate barrel I've ever owned. I'm not used to one hole groups and always yank a shot bc I get too excited. Both dropped shots were called...no internet bullshit. 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

uljLoy9.jpg

sYrsf2Y.jpg

Last edited:
So I ended up with a functional rifle last weekend with this parts list so far, but not done yet:
  • 18" White Oak Armament 1:7 Stainless Steel Wylde Barrel, Rifle length gas. - On sale for $239 at Brownells.
  • Aero Precision Upper, Lower, 15" S-One Handguard - Got the upper and lower for $89 on sale at local Gander, handguard was $125 from somewhere.
  • Luth-AR MBA1 Stock - Got this one on sale for $99 shipped.
  • Seekins Adj. Gas Block
  • M16 Nitrided BCG/C158 Bolt - On sale, $49 PSA
  • Ambi Charging Handle (Raptor Clone) - $29 Breek Arms
  • Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring with plug from another build's JP-SCS to fit A2 buffer - $56
  • Rise Armament RA-535 Trigger - pulled from a carbine I don't use much. carbine has std trigger now.
  • Ergo Grip with the palm swells.
  • Crappy 3-9x32 scope for function testing.

Planned for later as budget allows, late June, waiting for July 4 sales, etc:

• Vortex 4-16x44 FFP Scope, Viper or Diamondback. (Might be able to use a friend's discount.)
  • Aero Precision Scope Mount - $75
  • Geissele HiSpeed National Match Trigger. (Have one in my 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10. Love it.)
  • MagPul MBUS Set - $49 from PSA
  • Griffin Paladin Taper Mount Brake (for can STILL in ATF jail....)

I put some cheap PPU factory M855 through it and clocked it at just over 3000fps as expected from NATO ammo.
I then tried my own 62 grain Hornady M855 handloads with BL-C(2) at 25 grains (a safe guess) and got about 2700fps.
Accuracy was okay, just over an MOA at 100 yards which is probably better than to be expected from M855.
I'm going to get some 75 or 77 grain bullets and see what the 1:7 barrel is really capable of.

Gotta love holiday sales combined with https://gun.deals, reddit/r/gundeals, OpticsPlanet %10 discount, ActiveJunky %4 cashback etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Potss
I'd skip the Magpul MBUS sights for now and put the money towards a higher quality mount from Badger or Seekins/Vortex. Down the road if you do want some iron sights as a back up then check out a set of offset BUIS that put them at 45* so you won't have to remove your optic to use them.

Here is an update on my recce rifle I got the Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 FFP in today. it's a little longer and a little bit heavier than I would have liked but it's actually a very nice piece of glass I was pleasantly surprised for the price range. my neighbors fence is exactly 109 yards away and I can see the nails in his fence clearly at that distance at 15X, so it'll be more than adequate for shooting groups and taking it out to extended ranges. I'm going to have to send the vortex precision mount back, it's just too far extended to run my 45° BUIS, and make up for my 14.5" length of pull. My Luth mba-3 stock will be in tomorrow.

IMG_20190606_194202942_HDR.jpg

The extended cantilever mount has a good 3" extension which is a bit too much. Even with the scope set all the way back in the rings I'm still rubbernecking it to get proper eye relief, on top of that it makes reading my parallax adjustments impossible.

But I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the clarity and the quality of the Gen 2 PS2 3-15x44.

Thank you Vortex, thank you for supporting your First responders, active duty military and veterans.

IMG_20190606_194629008.jpg

IMG_20190606_200203505.jpg
IMG_20190606_200312039.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: USMC_JA and Fret
CLE, WOA or Rainier Arms for the barrel. I’ve had great luck with the RA match and Ultramatch barrels.

Just avoid LaRue barrels like you would a 2$ hooker and you should be fine.

Reactions: Jay Ell Gee
Here is an update on my recce rifle I got the Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 FFP in today. it's a little longer and a little bit heavier than I would have liked but it's actually a very nice piece of glass I was pleasantly surprised for the price range. my neighbors fence is exactly 109 yards away and I can see the nails in his fence clearly at that distance at 15X, so it'll be more than adequate for shooting groups and taking it out to extended ranges. I'm going to have to send the vortex precision mount back, it's just too far extended to run my 45° BUIS, and make up for my 14.5" length of pull. My Luth mba-3 stock will be in tomorrow.

View attachment 7090789

The extended cantilever mount has a good 3" extension which is a bit too much. Even with the scope set all the way back in the rings I'm still rubbernecking it to get proper eye relief, on top of that it makes reading my parallax adjustments impossible.

But I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the clarity and the quality of the Gen 2 PS2 3-15x44.

Thank you Vortex, thank you for supporting your First responders, active duty military and veterans.

View attachment 7090791

View attachment 7090803View attachment 7090804

Very nice! I have the same mount and had to switch to another one due to the excessive extension also.

Scott

I agree. Sounds like shooting without the bipod isn’t making it 0.5 Mils low. It seems more like shooting with the bipod is causing it to shoot 0.5 Mils high. But the zero was achieved off a bipod so any deviation will be based off that.

There is a higher probability that resting on the bipod is causing the rail to contact something like the gas block and force the barrel upwards. I can’t see the upper receiver having that much flex.

She just keeps getting sexier.

if anybody is looking for carbine stock I'm telling you the Luth mba-3 is the answer it is fully adjustable, it sits a bag very well and is extremely comfortable.

I just got this one brand new for $100 shipped.

I have another one of these identical to what you see before you but she's going to have a 20" proof research carbon fiber Barrel chambered in 6.5 Grendel, stay tuned.

IMG_20190607_150511139.jpg

CLE, WOA or Rainier Arms for the barrel. I’ve had great luck with the RA match and Ultramatch barrels.

Just avoid LaRue barrels like you would a 2$ hooker and you should be fine.

Could you please elaborate, if you don’t mind? I was really considering a Larue stealth upper as a turnkey SPR upper option in the future. Thanks.

View attachment 7090789

View attachment 7090791

View attachment 7090803View attachment 7090804
Thanks for the quick review. I’m on the fence of Gen 2 2-10 or 3-15 for a 16” WOA build I’ll have going together. I’d like to keep it “handier” and still be able to bang steel at 500-700 yards. ILya speaks very highly of the 3-15 and it’s only 2 oz heavier than 2-10. I got time. I just ordered the WOA and a Giessele MK13 this week so we’ll see. I have a razor 1-6 that will probably be offed for whatever I choose.

Could you please elaborate, if you don’t mind? I was really considering a Larue stealth upper as a turnkey SPR upper option in the future. Thanks.

The current LaRue barrels are made in-house and aren’t nearly as consistent as the Lothar barrels that they used to use. The new barrels aren’t on the same playing field as WOA, Rainier, CLE or a host of other comparably priced barrels imo.

The receiver is good, but I’d toss/sell the barrel immediately to a LaRue fan boy. I’ve wasted enough time trying to get 2 of them to shoot to last me a lifetime.

I put together a Recce rifle after reading the Navy's report on the Mk12. They wanted something more accurate and lighter and shorter if possible. They came up with the Recce rifle and I guess the basics are milspec BCG, forged upper and lower (Noveske makes a damn fine forged receiver set) I think they use the SSF Geissele trigger, you don't want the Hi-Speed, so I'd suggest the SSA-E. It's close to the Hi-Speed without any adj. and it's a little cheaper, especially if you're patient and catch 'em on sale at Brownell's. Then they have the Lilja 16" Navy Recce barrel. Contour is solid but not heavy, 1-8 Wylde chamber and it's one of the most accurate button rifled barrels you can buy. The grip, buttstock, rail system, optics and other shit were left completely up to the user, with KAC FF rails being most common from what I've seen. Most common stocks are either SOPMOD or A1 fixed, but it could have anything, UBR, A2, PRS, whatever. Optics range from Acog to S&B 5-25x and everything in between. It's also known as the "sniper M4" FWIW.

I put it together the same way, but I prefer the JP Ent. FMOS BCG or carrier at least. It's a lot slicker and more reliable, can actually run it dry in a pinch and it won't jam up. I use the Geissele DIY single set screw/single pin gas block. Super easy to install and the pin keeps it from coming loose. Lot cheaper than paying to have a pin on gas block unless you can DIY that yourself. Buffer and spring are just the basic milspec parts. I don't have problems with ejection or reliability. Mine has a Saker can but that's just a personal choice. The SOPMOD stock provides a nice cheek weld IMO, and it's turning up on more than just carbines these days. KAC uses 'em on full size SR25's now. Scope is MR/T in a 10MOA Larue QD mount (I typically use Badger but had this one laying around).

So there she is. It'd be hard to put together a better one, maybe a nice cut rifle barrel, but I went with the "specs" on this one since they seemed to have put a lot of work into coming up with this rifle. Leaving all the ergonomic features and optics up to the user really makes it shine as a military rifle IMO, so if you're into keeping the rifle "true to form", well, you can do that with this one and still use whatever parts you want for the most part.

Good luck!

Larue barrels seem to be inconsistent. So, be aware. You might get a shooter. You might get something highly mediocre.

If you go with CLE or WOA, those guys are going to spin the barrel (and at least in the case of CLE, do as much or as little of the build as you want them to do...including a "turn-key upper) and your chances of getting a consistent, good shooting barrel are going to exponentially increased. I've no experience with WOA...they are highly thought of though by guys that shoot. But my direct experience with CLE is going to make me a repeat customer. Fantastic every step of the way.

Thanks for the quick review. I’m on the fence of Gen 2 2-10 or 3-15 for a 16” WOA build I’ll have going together. I’d like to keep it “handier” and still be able to bang steel at 500-700 yards. ILya speaks very highly of the 3-15 and it’s only 2 oz heavier than 2-10. I got time. I just ordered the WOA and a Giessele MK13 this week so we’ll see. I have a razor 1-6 that will probably be offed for whatever I choose.

So far I'm extremely satisfied with the new GEN 2 3-15, the glass clarity is exceptional especially for its price. The new zero stop feature is outstanding, comes to a hard stop Turrets also perform quite well the clicks are very audible and you can fill them with gloves on. The illuminated reticle is definitely daylight bright so no issues there. Only complaint that I have is the length, I think that it is well within vortexs capabilities to make it under 12".

Reactions: trob_205
So far I'm extremely satisfied with the new GEN 2 3-15, the glass clarity is exceptional especially for its price. The new zero stop feature is outstanding, comes to a hard stop Turrets also perform quite well the clicks are very audible and you can fill them with gloves on. The illuminated reticle is definitely daylight bright so no issues there. Only complaint that I have is the length, I think that it is well within vortexs capabilities to make it under 12".
Yea I think I’ve come to the realization that if I want small and handy I’ll have to just build small and handy separately lol. Probably end up with the 3-15. And I like how it’s same reticle as the Gen2 razor that’s on my AX.

Larue barrels seem to be inconsistent. So, be aware. You might get a shooter. You might get something highly mediocre.

If you go with CLE or WOA, those guys are going to spin the barrel (and at least in the case of CLE, do as much or as little of the build as you want them to do...including a "turn-key upper) and your chances of getting a consistent, good shooting barrel are going to exponentially increased. I've no experience with WOA...they are highly thought of though by guys that shoot. But my direct experience with CLE is going to make me a repeat customer. Fantastic every step of the way.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the insight. I’ve seen a few others warn about Larue, but never exactly why.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the insight. I’ve seen a few others warn about Larue, but never exactly why.

WOA will do a variety of configured complete uppers too & they stand behind their work; they are very easy to deal with too.

The same for Craddock Precision.................he will do pretty much whatever you want done & has a variety of 1st class barrel blanks to choose from as well.

MM

The current LaRue barrels are made in-house and aren’t nearly as consistent as the Lothar barrels that they used to use. The new barrels aren’t on the same playing field as WOA, Rainier, CLE or a host of other comparably priced barrels imo.

The receiver is good, but I’d toss/sell the barrel immediately to a LaRue fan boy. I’ve wasted enough time trying to get 2 of them to shoot to last me a lifetime.

Thank you for the insight.

WOA will do a variety of configured complete uppers too & they stand behind their work; they are very easy to deal with too.

The same for Craddock Precision.................he will do pretty much whatever you want done & has a variety of 1st class barrel blanks to choose from as well.

MM

I appreciate it. I’m going to note all of this for future use. I have a Sandman s in jail and would eventually like to build a nice SPR 18” upper. It seems like a fun rig to shoot suppressed.

When it comes to a precision upper, I would rather have someone skilled build it, vs me in my garage with some basic tools. I have no issues working on my carbines, though.

I appreciate it. I’m going to note all of this for future use. I have a Sandman s in jail and would eventually like to build a nice SPR 18” upper. It seems like a fun rig to shoot suppressed.

When it comes to a precision upper, I would rather have someone skilled build it, vs me in my garage with some basic tools. I have no issues working on my carbines, though.

My pics above appear to have been corrupted, so please forgive the reposting. Sandman L on my CLE turned SPR. I sent CLE my Vltor MUR and Mk16 barrel nut. They turned the Barlein barrel, installed it with the barrel nut., and then sent it back to me. I installed the rail, FH, scope and built up the lower. The barrel and barrel fit to the upper is the most important part.

If I can do this, you can do this.

My pics above appear to have been corrupted, so please forgive the reposting. Sandman L on my CLE turned SPR. I sent CLE my Vltor MUR and Mk16 barrel nut. They turned the Barlein barrel, installed it with the barrel nut., and then sent it back to me. I installed the rail, FH, scope and built up the lower. The barrel and barrel fit to the upper is the most important part.

If I can do this, you can do this.

View attachment 7091879
View attachment 7091880

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Seems like one heck of a shooter. I agree with the barrel fitment sentiment, which is why I would prefer that be done like yours. I agree, I could handle the rest from there.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: USMC_JA
Do you have pugs, hence the screename?

If so, you need to post pug pictures and then I may help.

Craddock Precision for the barrel, end of story.

TriggerTech Diamond Trigger.

Luth-AR Stock.

You will want more than 10x on the optic. 3-15x Razors are a good deal, but there are many others.

I have a shilen craddock precision barrel on my ar.. its awesome

Only a 1-8 on it, that’s enough precision for me :LOL:

Way off topic, but damn now I want them to make that movie too.

Reactions: JS8588
So an update, I've been researching loads for this rifle (1:7 18" WOA Wylde barrel) and I think the bullet for this build is going to be the 77gr Sierra Match King. Been watching Johnny's Reloading Bench on Youtube and he's got the same barrel and had excellent results with Accurate 2520 and Varminter Pro powders, so will just try to start low and duplicate his ladders.

Goal is to replicate whatever the Black Hills 77gr Mk262 ammo does out of this barrel.
(Ideally less than MOA groups, 2750+ fps, and not destroy brass doing it.)

Unfortunately, my range has been closed the last month, and other stuff, so I haven't gotten around to upgrading this rifle or making ammo for it.

I'm also going to get a LaRue MBT-2S trigger to replace the single stage. This build is designed to be a "Gucci minus one" build with components, so not top of the line premium but as close as possible without breaking the bank.

It already functions adequately with 55gr and 62gr standard NATO loads but that's not utilizing the full potential of this barrel.

Waiting for July 4 sales to pull the trigger on a decent scope too.

My question is which of the budget barrels should I be considering for a buddy's upgrading a DB15? He's just wanting to reach out to 600 max.

You didn't specify length or profile or what he wants to do with it, which will usually dictate the other two. What are you wanting to hit at 600? If its an 18" gong most name brand barrels will do it. 12" you might look at Rainier match barrels, they have a 16" and 18" in stock right now for $209. Not sure what you'd call budget, but my Daniel Defence 14.5" pencil profile shoots 1" @ 100 all day with Hornady Black 75gr so a 12" gong (never tried it on something that far away) shouldn't be a problem and it was mid $200s. Also keep in mind that no matter how much you spend on a barrel, you'll have trouble hitting anything but the ground at 600 yards if you feed it cheap, bulk ammo.