• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for rifle

Furtaker2506

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
Im getting a custom 300WM built - I would like something cheaper to shoot as a "training" rifle (will be using same optic as on the 300) - 1100 budget for just the rifle. When I say 'training' I mean learning the long range game without spending a ton always shooting the 300.

My current thoughts are a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. I dont have a lot of other ideas...

Reactions: ttp675 and The D
223 rem will be one of your cheapest trainers. The 22lr has been game changing for training for me. Spending so much time with my 22 now working on fundamentals and positional shooting, reading winds, how directions effect bullets. I still shoot my 223 but for example I’ve spent 350 rounds of 223 so far in 2022 and 2050 rounds of 22 so far. By next weekend I should have about 3000 rounds through the 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack's Dad
I recently bought myself a Tikka Tac A1 in .308 Win. Lots of affordable ammo showing up for plinking. I'll end up rebarreling it but I'm going to enjoy it for awhile. I worked through the Satterlee 2.0 load development with 168 ELDMs and found a winner. Screenshot_20220318-182045_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220318-182037_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Furtaker2506
The Tikka ctr is a good choice. Drop in a KRG bravo or other chassis.

.22 trainer isn’t a bad idea either

Unless you shoot a lot, the payoff of ammo savings is a fairly long road. Saving $0.50/rd would take a lot of shooting to pay off a second rifle and glass. I wouldn't want to shoot a .300wm that much, so there is that aspect.

A .223 trainer with cheap factory match ammo might be nice. Learning to shoot with wind inside 800yds should be pretty educational.

Is the rifle you’re having built based on an aftermarket action that has replaceable bolt heads and has prefit barrels available? If it is, just buy a new bolt head and barrel in whatever you want.

If it’s not, then it should be. Unless you want to build or buy another rifle just for the sake of building or buying

Is the rifle you’re having built based on an aftermarket action that has replaceable bolt heads and has prefit barrels available? If it is, just buy a new bolt head and barrel in whatever you want.

If it’s not, then it should be. Unless you want to build or buy another rifle just for the sake of building or buying
No it’s not, the 300 build came from a rem 700 that had a barrel defect from factory and Remington said they wouldn’t fix it Bc it was at the end of their dissolve. So, I had the action and decided to build it out w/ a bartlein, a manners, a trigger tech and hawkins bottom metal - but it won’t be done for about a year so In the meantime I was thinking about buying something that isn’t one of my hunting rifles to start shooting fairly hard

Reactions: The D
Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor is a pretty good easy button then. It also benefits from readily available barrels if you wear the first one out or want to swap cartridges.

Just curious. Where is this rifle being built that it takes a year to get done?

Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor is a pretty good easy button then. It also benefits from readily available barrels if you wear the first one out or want to swap cartridges.

Just curious. Where is this rifle being built that it takes a year to get done?
That may have been an exaggeration - im guessing the lead times from manners and bartlein are pretty long, that’s what I’ll be waiting on

I have a Tikka CTR in 6.5cm that is currently in a Manners stock. That gun is dang nice. It’s easily a sub-1/2moa gun, with a really nice bolt feel. Its a slow and short barrel so velocity is low but I’ve hit out to 1,422yds with it. Love the whole setup.

I was just looking at swapping a .223 barrel into it and realized I can’t get a bolt to make that happen. I might sell it and get an action with exchangeable bolt heads but I do enjoy that rifle, it’s my only bench gun.