• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas on 6.5 sighting in

Tripworsham

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2021
I have had great luck mounting scopes on high powered rifles, finding zero with reasonable number of rounds and ethically/quickly killing game out to about 275. I kind of fell into a 6.5 prc European rifle with a >moa guarantee. Put a Leupold 3xi 6.5x20 (SFP) on it. First round at 25 high and left. Corrected for windage and lacking capacity to reduce elevation held low to find a nice 3 shot group .5 moa from the bull (just left and low). Figure I was good. Go to 100 yards and cant find paper. Return to 25 and get a good group on the bull holder 3 moa low. Move to 50 yards and the thing throws a round at the top of the paper. Depress hold to the bottom of the target paper and round hits 4.5 moa hi. Depress to bottom of backing and get to 2 moa high. Try another round an get 3 moa. All from solid bench rest, great sight picture. There is no fool like an old fool and I am feeling like one of them. I must be missing something here...

What kind of rifle and stock. What base, rings, mount? Is the scope new or not. Do you know if the scope is solid?

Are you using a MOA base? Any chance it could be pointed up?

NIB Sauer 100 beech, bags on concrete bench. Talley medium "one piece". NIB scope. 99 degrees clear sky no wind.

Some scope rings/ bases tilt the scope down, to better use the adjustment of the scope for lo get ranges.

But if you get the scope mount backwards it points the scope up. This could cause not being able to Zero the rifle to the scope.

Is your mount something like this?

It must be something with the luepold 3xi. I read the Sauer will stack high with a hot barrel but not like that. At any rate no more shots until I get a clue.

Corrected for windage and lacking capacity to reduce elevation held low to find a nice 3 shot group .5 moa from the bull (just left and low).
Why are you “lacking capacity to reduce elevation”? Did you dial and run out of adjustment or is something else preventing it?

I'd start by bore sighting it for 100yds and seeing how many clicks in each direction you have.

Your scope has 80 MOA of elevation adjustment, there is no way under normal conditions you run out of elevation unless:

The barrel bore isn't square to the reciever, reciever isn't square to the base, base isn't square to the rings, Rings are not square to scope or scope is broken.

If something like the chamber is not concentric to bore, I doubt it would group.

I felt like it had to be an old fool issue, and it was. Gunny (a USMC retired armorer and rifle team member) to one look and pointed out the evidence of scope jump. I did not torque the rings well enough (or check them during the time at the range). He reminded me that sighting in is getting dope on the rifle despite the dope behind it. So I think things will go better next time. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas and I will try to be less stupid next time!

I have found a loose screw behind the rifle to be my problem many times.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.