• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas

M24_SWS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Somersworth, NH
Ok, i just bought a AR15 stripped lower receiver on gunbroker and the model is Aero Precision. Aero seems to be a great company that makes good products from what i have read.

I am looking for ideas for this build. The goal of this build is to use .223 ammo with 77 grain bullets. Basically a long range based platform. Aside from the receiver and the small parts that get installed i need some suggestions. The rifle will be equipped with a scope but i will deal with optics later.

Any ideas as far as barrel lengths and for ends to use and so forth. Also this gun will NOT be using a supressor. I would like the stock to be adjustable for length of pull and so forth. Total budget would be approx 1500 dollars MAX not counting optics.

Thank you,

Heath

Re: Ideas

how about a MK 12 theme: 18 inch varmint profile, rifle gas, simple float tube, skip the muzzle device - M4 type stock

MK12 theme is pretty good. I am trying to cut out as much extra as needed. For example the larue stealth sniper uppers with 20 inch barrel and 12 or 13.2 handguard that would be pretty good. But i have heard it is possible to get nice uppers with equal or better quality for cheaper.

Heath

The UBR stock i really like. Yes, this rifle i would like to build is all about precision. The other stock i was looking at was teh Larue RISR/CTR stock becuase of the spring loaded cheek weld. But the UBR seems to be the better idea.

With the receiver i bought does it matter if i install Mil-Spec buffer tube or comercial?

I know the tube will dictate what type of stock to use but just attaching the tube i do not think matters but i may be wrong.

Heath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The UBR stock i really like. Yes, this rifle i would like to build is all about precision. The other stock i was looking at was teh Larue RISR/CTR stock becuase of the spring loaded cheek weld. But the UBR seems to be the better idea.

With the receiver i bought does it matter if i install Mil-Spec buffer tube or comercial?

I know the tube will dictate what type of stock to use but just attaching the tube i do not think matters but i may be wrong.

Heath </div></div>
precision, how far?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The UBR stock i really like. Yes, this rifle i would like to build is all about precision. The other stock i was looking at was teh Larue RISR/CTR stock becuase of the spring loaded cheek weld. But the UBR seems to be the better idea.

Heath </div></div>

well, if you get a UBR stock make sure you read the magpul website closely to make sure u have the right tube, as far as the barrel, the rail the platform, what do you intend on using it for?

The goal is for long range shooting. Looking at 20 inch barrel length. Rail platform i saw Larue and Knights and Daniel Defense. Looking for a rock solid rail that is mounted to the upper flat top receiver.

For the barrel i do not know if M4 feed ramps are needed or not. But still researching.

Range would be 500 to 600 yards for target engagements. The distance i mentioned will probably be available to me.

Heath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The goal is for long range shooting. Looking at 20 inch barrel length. Rail platform i saw Larue and Knights and Daniel Defense. Looking for a rock solid rail that is mounted to the upper flat top receiver.

For the barrel i do not know if M4 feed ramps are needed or not. But still researching.

Range would be 500 to 600 yards for target engagements. The distance i mentioned will probably be available to me.

Heath </div></div>

the feed ramps, they are not needed, but if you ever start having to drop rounds fast, they are what you want to help aid in rapid feeding, if you are doing 5-600 yrd shooting i would look at a PRS stock and not a UBR, they are going to me much more applicable to your situation than a collapsible stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
well, if you get a UBR stock make sure you read the magpul website closely to make sure u have the right tube, as far as the barrel, the rail the platform, what do you intend on using it for? </div></div>

The UBR comes with it's own receiver extension (proprietary).

I'm not a PRS fan, mainly as I never make use of the adjustable height - as I shoot further forward that it allows.
For some its a great stock if you want that ability.

As mentioned the UBR comes with its own receiver extension (or buffer tube as its more commonly known).

Thank you everyone for the help. Since the stock seems to be covered for me..PRS or UBR at this point in time. Another part i am looking for is the muzzle device.

Although the rifle will not be suppressed, i want a muzzle brake at least. I was thinking of the AAC 51T or the Surefire SFMB-556-1/2-28. Any ideas for muzzle brake?

I am trying to gather all the details for these parts i need so i can build the rifle exactly how i want it.

Thank you,

Heath

Some more quality 20" barrel options

-Noveske Medium Varmint 5.56mm Barrel
-White Oak Armament SDM 20" Barrel
-Rainier Arms UltraMatch 20 SDM
-BCM 20" SS410 SAM-R Barrel

Honestly, they should all shoot very well, but I have seen others recommend the Noveske if precision is the #1 goal. The Noveske is the only one with an unthreaded barrel, if that matters.

These are all off-the-shelf options, you could also order one from Compass Lake (Douglas or Kreiger), Kreiger, Hart, etc and price would wouldn't be substantially more.

There are more options in the 18" length, including the companies above plus others like the MK12 barrels from Centurion Arms & High Caliber Sales and a similar nitrided SPR barrel from Superior Barrels. Each of these is a Douglas Premium Air Gaged blank. The Centurion/HCS barrels have a chamber designed for the Mk262 77gr round, which may be worth considering for your 77s - but again, they're 18". . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone for the help. Since the stock seems to be covered for me..PRS or UBR at this point in time. Another part i am looking for is the muzzle device.

Although the rifle will not be suppressed, i want a muzzle brake at least. I was thinking of the AAC 51T or the Surefire SFMB-556-1/2-28. Any ideas for muzzle brake?

I am trying to gather all the details for these parts i need so i can build the rifle exactly how i want it.

Thank you,

Heath </div></div>

if long range accuracy is the goal, it is better to skip the muzzle device (recoil is minimal on a 223 anyway) - 1 less variable to deal with - a standard crown with no place for carbon to build up is more consistent

if your budget is 1500 skip the fancy railed forearm - get a simple float tube
use the money where it counts for accuracy:
1 barrel
2 trigger
3 bolt

5-600yds, 18-20 would be ideal but even a 16 could get you there, but why compromise velocity for no reason. I suggest the MI SS Gen 2 ff tube, low cost and modular. There are others of course. I'd go UBR or A1/2 stock, depending on need for adjustment, although if you run them short collapsibles do give a decent cheekweld.
The PWS FSC556 is a highly effective brake, but quite concussive. I understand the Surefire is as well. Not a place I'd spend allot of money, unless it needed to be able to mount a can.
Trigger after barrel is the place to pony up some coin, it will make a difference. Other than those two parts there's a few for reliability but its pretty much just ergos and looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger after barrel is the place to pony up some coin, it will make a difference. Other than those two parts there's a few for reliabiliyt but its pretty much just ergos and looks.</div></div>

Winner.

If 600 yard precision is your goal then a custom or premium 16 to 20 with 1-8 or 1-7 twist will get you there. If you don't need woodchuck- or X-busting capability then any 1-8/1-7 20-incher will do.

I recommend the Geissele High Speed National Match trigger, with Match Rifle springs. Others have their recommendations. Test drive and decide for yourself.

All else is ergonomic fit. I like Battle Comps but the Surefire MB556 or a Miculek will keep you on target with little muzzle rise at the cost of muzzle blast.

A simple free float rail with a QD stud will do for a fore end so you can shoot prone with a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone for the help. Since the stock seems to be covered for me..PRS or UBR at this point in time. Another part i am looking for is the muzzle device.

Thank you,

Heath </div></div>

if long range accuracy is the goal, it is better to skip the muzzle device (recoil is minimal on a 223 anyway) - 1 less variable to deal with - a standard crown with no place for carbon to build up is more consistent

if your budget is 1500 skip the fancy railed forearm - get a simple float tube
use the money where it counts for accuracy:
1 barrel
2 trigger
3 bolt</div></div>

I agree with what George said.

I have a 20" woa service rifle upper with no muzzle device and its fine. I put a scope on it for working up loads and it easily shot sub moa with 75gr hornadys even with my poor cheek weld.

For the money the woa barrels are fantastic. Its up to you if you want to spend the extra money on a Kreiger/Douglas/etc. if its in your budget I say go for it.

I suggest saving the money on an expensive quad rail hand guard and just get a free float tube of your choice. I'm partial to Jp or vtac handguards

Well i ordered a UBR stock as well as a PMAG and the Magpul beveled trigger guard as well the the black MIAD pistol grip kit. I also bought a flat top stripped A3 Aero Precision upper from brownells.

As for the trigger, oh yeah geissele is the main choice. The DMR caught my eye but i am in no rush so still looking. The white oak selection is awesome and i might go with the 20 inch versions. Not sure if the SPR or DMR barrels are any difference.

Heath

Well i decided on how the rifle is going to be assembled.

Stock: Already purchased Magpul UBR in Black.
Upper Receiver: Aero Precision A3 Style...already bought.
Lower Reciever: Aero Precision...already bought.
Charging Handle: BCM Gas Buster Large.
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E.
Pistol Grip: Magpul MIAD Black...already bought.
Trigger Guard: Magpul beveled trigger guard...already bought.
Bolt Carrier: White Oak Armory.
Lower/Upper Parts Kits: Daniel Defense for lower/ High Standard or DPMS for upper.
Barrel: White Oak Armory 20 inch 1/7 SDM Barrel Bead Blasted and for use with low profile gas block.
Hand Guard: Larue 13.2 or DD RIS II.
Iron Sights: Magpul BUIS Black..already have.
Muzzle Brake: AAC 51T....i changed my mind..may use supressor later.
Bipod: Harris 6-9 BRM-S with QD attachment.
Magazine: Magpul PMAG 20 rounder...already have.
Gas Block: Larue low Pro screw type LT202.

Optics and so forth will be done later. This is subject to change but i think this is what i will do for the build. I will have white oak for the barrel and bead blasting as well as headpacing the bolt and get the carrier as well from them. I will try and group as many items as i can to reduce shipping costs and potential delays.

If i missed anything let me know. If you think something should be changed please let me know why and so forth.

Thank you,

Heath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i decided on how the rifle is going to be assembled.

Hand Guard: Larue 13.2 or DD RIS II.
Gas Block: White Oak low profile clamp on style.
</div></div>

If you want to go with the LaRue 13.2, you will need a low profile gas block that is pinned on or has set screws. The LaRue has a small opening at the receiver end of the rail that will need to slip over your gas block when you install it (see pic of rail opening here http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-90-handguard-lt15-9). Clamp on styles wont fit through this hole and since you are talking about a 13.2 length, you wont have the option to put it on after the rail, because the rail will cover the block.

Not a problem, just need to go with a set screw style gas block (lots of options for those: Vltor, Rainier, YHM, etc).

Otherwise it is a very solid rail.

Not sure if that is an issue with the RIS II, I haven't installed one.

No problem. It's one of those things you wouldn't know unless you have done the install. The LaRue lopro should work (it's on the pricier side, if that matters).

I like the LaRue rails, somewhat heavier than some other options, but very strong and they have built in QD sockets. They also have a nice profile, because the lower rail is closer to the barrel (the RIS II is similar in this respect).

Sounds like it should be a very nice build.

Got off the phone earlier with White Oak and placed my order.

I ordered the 20 inch 1/7 twist SDM barrel with M4 feed ramp and i asked them to bead blast it. Also they will be headspacing a bolt for the barrel and i also ordered the complete bolt carrier group as well. White Oak uses AR15 bolts not M16 but oh well. Since i have been trying to group combined orders to save money and time i also ordered their A4 upper complete with M4 feed ramps as well as the lower parts kit. The barrel i ordered will NOT have the flats machined it for front tower but instead have 2 dimples machined on bottom of barrel for their low profile screw type gas block which will work if after market quad rail hand guards.

I was quoted 12 weeks but i am in no rush so it is not a big deal to me. I cancelled my order for the Aero upper from brownells since it was better to have White Oak pretty much do all the upper work.

Trigger and hand guard and muzzle device will come later on as well as optics and optics mount.

Heath

Ok since i changed my mind and later on the rifle will get a supressor, but in the mean time i want a very effective muzzle brake to kill any recoil in the mean time. I was thinking the AAC 51T or Surefire SFMB-556-1/2-28. Does anyone have suggestions on good brake/flash hider that will take a supressor that i should look into?

Heath

Well after a bit of research, i decided on the Surefire SFMB-556-1/2-28. I already placed a order with surefire directly and found out they gave me a pretty nice discount as well. My order is in the first batch being made which should be shipping soon. Really looking forward to getting this muzzle brake. I also like this because it is user install and pretty straight forward.

Heath