• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Identify This Remington 700

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
Just picked this up from a dealer in TX. It looks like it could be a department or agency trade or turn in. Dealer says they are unable to provide any background on it. Don’t suppose anyone knows what organization or group this may have belonged to, if it even has any significance at all? FYI, it has an E prefix action.

I’m thinking either:
A. Some random dude’s everyday truck/field gun
B. Some local or state department or agency trade or turn-in
C. A super secret squirrel ninja three-letter-you-never-saw-me-agency million meter sniper laser, which is why the dealer is unable to release that information.

92F7B245-5729-4928-AB49-A03B805BF797.jpeg

Last edited:
No biggie if it’s A, some random dude’s truck gun; the parts separated would be worth more than what I paid for the whole rig. Especially considering the later version short action MIRS.

Yup I would sell that MARS scope rail and get adjustable cheek piece made

I vote B. The paracord between the bipod legs makes me think the owner knew a bit more about quick setup than average, and an individual truck gun would’ve likely been broken and sold as parts by the owner given the value.

I just realized look up the SN on the NF ask them if it was a LEO turn in
The scope came with the rifle, and was not turned in to NF though. Also, the NF is an earlier one made in Japan. Think NF might still have a record of it if it was sold to an LEO or other agency or department?

Should keep records just in case stuff get stolen and reappears on the second hand market

You did not state the caliber but we assume it is a .308 Win.?

The NF is not terribly old looking at the elevation turret style.
Chances are the scope was bought through a NF dealer, etc. IF it was an agency purchase through the NF direct program, you might could gain some info on the original Ship To.

Ditto what was said above regarding trying to find etching or engraving on the barrel or receiver. Any markings that are not OEM could hint at least who did work on the gun. Bonus would be if agency asset # or similar ID is there.

Tons of users rattle-can their rigs so the Krylon alone does not necessarily point to previous history.

./

Reactions: kft101
I vote B. Scope, rail, bipod, paint job all point to an LE operator with some level of prior military or other professional training.

DBM and bolt knob indicate to me the agency went outside (proficient gunsmith) for some additional upgrades to their stock rifles. Also curious as to the origin of the barrel: factory Remington or other.

It appears to be a solid set-up. State-of-the-art for 1995. The cheek rest seems ad-hoc and the rail system unnecessary unless you have in-line night vision. Is there evidence that anything was mounted in front of the scope (marks in the paint on the rail)? If so, this could also indicate LE use and maybe not so much option A.

Just my opinion.

AG

I wonder if Remington would have records of the rifle serial as well actually?
I messaged RemArms and unfortunately, they replied that with their recent acquisition, they were unable to transfer a lot of the old records and cannot provide any information on previously produced rifles. Sounds like any official records before 2021 are gone.

I vote B. Scope, rail, bipod, paint job all point to an LE operator with some level of prior military or other professional training.

DBM and bolt knob indicate to me the agency went outside (proficient gunsmith) for some additional upgrades to their stock rifles. Also curious as to the origin of the barrel: factory Remington or other.

It appears to be a solid set-up. State-of-the-art for 1995. The cheek rest seems ad-hoc and the rail system unnecessary unless you have in-line night vision. Is there evidence that anything was mounted in front of the scope (marks in the paint on the rail)? If so, this could also indicate LE use and maybe not so much option A.

Just my opinion.

AG
Yes, there are signs of NV being clipped on the front of the MIRS.

8D543EC0-FFEF-426F-A82F-43CCEFC351B8.jpeg

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
The beat-up-ness is the only thing confusing me for being a government gun of any sort. Not impossible, but rare for non-wartime stuff IME. Even when painted, most bosses want your stuff to look neat.

I'd therefore tend to vote A, and either a hog gun that isn't suppressed somehow (helps a lot with not just gentle shooting and un-spooking followups but NV flash... but not everyone can or will get NFA devices) or a government shooter who wanted a dupe of his work gun to keep with him for practice, recreation, hunting, etc.

FWIW, I got a DBM conversion on my PSS and was near getting a MIRS rail for the clipon until talked out of it, went chassis. And I paint my stuff, and let it get scratched up. I am no one in particular and could have put together this gun in an alternative universe. Maybe my collection will confuse everyone when the estate sale happens :)

Just picked this up from a dealer in TX. It looks like it could be a department or agency trade or turn in. Dealer says they are unable to provide any background on it. Don’t suppose anyone knows what organization or group this may have belonged to, if it even has any significance at all? FYI, it has an E prefix action.

I’m thinking either:
A. Some random dude’s everyday truck/field gun
B. Some local or state department or agency trade or turn-in
C. A super secret squirrel ninja three-letter-you-never-saw-me-agency million meter sniper laser, which is why the dealer is unable to release that information.

View attachment 7766378
Definitely a super snipery NSD/OGA DA team rifle 🤣😂🤣 j/k no clue.

I personally think thats a cool looking rig. That rail is rare indeed. How's it shoot?? If it's a shooter with 168/175 FGMM or similar loads, I'd keep that shit.

Where did you buy it? I would bet that it could be a LEO trade-in, I've seen quite a few police rifles come up for sale over the years that are similar to your rifle. In fact, Mile High always has some police trade in rifles/scopes/AR-15 upper receivers for sale on gunbroker, here's some of their current trade-in listings:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919052234
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919052601
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919052686

A member of this forum even bought 2 police trade-in rifles that were built at the USMC RTE shop in 1998! A friend of mine talked to the 2112 who built them, that Marine remembered building those two rifles and confirmed that they were indeed police rifles, not USMC used guns. Each of the rifles has a USMC tube data book to keep a round count. I can't remember off hand, but I think both rifles might have an RTE-P proof mark on the barrel, since they were built and tested at the RTE shop. Both rifles have a short action MIRS rail and were built on Remington C prefix receivers. I'm pretty sure I've got these details correct, it's been a while since I've looked at my notes on them. I think one of the rifles might have been been inspected in the mid 2000's by retired 2112 Tiny Briggs. I remember this piece of information because Tiny also worked at Iron Brigade Armory and built all the USMC XM3 sniper rifles!

Both of these rifles were sold by Mile High on gunbroker! I passed on them at the time because they're police rifles and they don't fit into my military rifle collection. I think I still have photos from the gunbroker listing, but I don't want to post pics of another forum member's rifles. Those rifles have quite a bit of interesting history!

@kft101, check the barrel for a gunsmith's info or maybe even an RTE stamp from the 2112's at Quantico! I don't know if PWS is still building police rifles or when they stopped building them for police departments (if they stopped building them). The 2112's at the RTE shop definitely built rifles for the police and FBI decades ago, so you might get very lucky with acquiring a trade-in rifle with some amazing provenance!

Last edited:
Reactions: kft101
Truck gun replica. Non-legit. My theory is former LEO/MIL, and replicated a service rifle with a few tweaks (bolt knob and cheek piece).

The lack of muzzle thread is weird. Don't most govt stuff have a thread for a suppressor, or at least a flash hider ??

Reactions: shoobe01
I think that someone was trying to build an M40A whatever rifle, or it was a Police trade in that someone bought and used for a coyote gun. Though whatever we guess it is, it's a pretty cool piece that you can tell people that won it playing poker from a one-legged man named Skip. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: shoobe01
Took the MIRS off and checking the full length of the barrel, the only markings found are “Broughton 308 Win” stamped/etched on the port side halfway under the front of the rail.

So without any other proof of any provenance, the most that can be definitively said is the rig was built using a couple of now rare and no longer made parts (the McCann MIRS and Broughton barrel) and was previously used by someone that looks to have known his field craft.

All in all, got it for a decent price even without any historical significance to it.

0A173106-CB1F-44BD-A383-96D8FB41DF4D.jpeg

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
That's a good find. If you look at the rear of the bolt locking lugs or bolt, do they appear to have been machined?

If so, someone took the time to work the action over as well.

Last edited:
Looking less and less like it has any relevant provenance, but just pulled the stock off and found out it has a small bonus at least: a Timney trigger.

82868B32-5C1F-4207-B2FA-57FB0207374C.jpeg

Reactions: Eric32
"From a dealer in TX" makes me think it was someone's pig shooter down there.

I believe you have in your possession Buddly's Operation Desert Storm sniper rifle. That is a piece of history my friend ;)

Reactions: iceng
If it was A, then the owner was trained x-military or trained LEO. Or it was B. Very nice set up. I can't wait to hear how it shoots. I wish it was mine for sure!!!

Reactions: Two36