• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Identifying Lyman Dies

Von Hayek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2022
Maryland
My father just passed his reloading dies to me, and I cannot identify them. I have no knowledge of reloading--I can't even tell you what each of these dies does--but I am interested in learning. Each die has a three-digit number stamped on it, but I cannot find any reference on the web for using those numbers for identification. Does anyone have a resource I can use to identify these and start my foray into reloading?

IMG_9203.jpeg

If you want to reload buy new modern dies and a press forget all that old Lyman stuff.

Reactions: Von Hayek
Yeah, I have to agree. You don't want to mess with trying to use those. Frame them if you want to honor your dad, or do a shadow box and put in your loading room, but don't try to use that stuff. We have a lot better gear now days to use and it's a ton easier as well

I agree you should start with more modern equipment, but do not by any means get rid of "that old Lyman stuff." That's something that links you to your father and days of olde. There was a time when that equipment was state of the art and it would be nice to one day use it again. So continue your research, and after you've learned the ropes of reloading on more modern equipment you may wish to try it out. Do you have any of his old guns?

I agree you should start with more modern equipment, but do not by any means get rid of "that old Lyman stuff." That's something that links you to your father and days of olde. There was a time when that equipment was state of the art and it would be nice to one day use it again. So continue your research, and after you've learned the ropes of reloading on more modern equipment you may wish to try it out. Do you have any of his old guns?

A bunch of them. My father is still alive, and at 95 is old enough to be my grandfather. He is still active and still likes to shoot, but he is divesting himself of most of his things.

The rifle that I treasure the most is a deer gun he built in 1952, and I know the date because the FN Mauser is stamped with it. He had always wanted a Steyr Mannlicher but couldn't afford one, so he built something similar. He had a friend visiting Europe purchase him the FN action in .30-06 with matched barrel and a Pecar-Berlin scope. Dad carved the full-length stock himself. He hunted with this gun for decades.

The other prize possession is his father's nickel S&W Model 37. The finish is not very nice but I don't care.

A bunch of them. My father is still alive, and at 95 is old enough to be my grandfather. He is still active and still likes to shoot, but he is divesting himself of most of his things.

The rifle that I treasure the most is a deer gun he built in 1952, and I know the date because the FN Mauser is stamped with it. He had always wanted a Steyr Mannlicher but couldn't afford one, so he built something similar. He had a friend visiting Europe purchase him the FN action in .30-06 with matched barrel and a Pecar-Berlin scope. Dad carved the full-length stock himself. He hunted with this gun for decades.

The other prize possession is his father's nickel S&W Model 37. The finish is not very nice but I don't care.
Wow! So if he's still around and in good enough mental shape, that would be your best research source. Wish my old man was still here....

Wow! So if he's still around and in good enough mental shape, that would be your best research source. Wish my old man was still here....

He had no idea. It has been so long has used them. He had even painted some of them red and couldn't remember why.

Reactions: mtrmn
I may have a link or two to some old Lyman reloading manuals but it may be a while before I get a chance to search.

My only suggestion would be to ask around of forums with "retro" interest, cast bullet forums, old single shots, cowboy shooters etc.

I had gotten a couple from someone, along with some old molds. Hard to know what they're for or if they're all there when you don't even know what you're looking at. lol I know someone somewhere would want them, I didn't want them to go in the trash, so I stuck them aside (and then forgot about them). Stumbled across them just the other day and there's a lot less than I remembered, so maybe I culled some of it.

My father just passed his reloading dies to me, and I cannot identify them. I have no knowledge of reloading--I can't even tell you what each of these dies does--but I am interested in learning. Each die has a three-digit number stamped on it, but I cannot find any reference on the web for using those numbers for identification. Does anyone have a resource I can use to identify these and start my foray into reloading?

View attachment 8028138
Some resources that may be of use:

It looks like we have .30-06, 8mm Mauser, .30 Carbine, and .44 Special. I know my father used to shoot .44 Magnum--would .44 Special dies work for .44 Magnum?

It looks like we have .30-06, 8mm Mauser, .30 Carbine, and .44 Special. I know my father used to shoot .44 Magnum--would .44 Special dies work for .44 Magnum?
He was shooting specials in his magnum for reduced recoil, like shooting .38 Special in a .357 magnum.