• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Identifying you gun?

cookietheswede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Southgate, KY
I just realized that I don't have many receipts for my guns. Would pictures work if I had to recover a gun that got stolen or the police had to take possession of it? Never really thought about this before. Just want to be prepared if I ever have to get a gun back.

Re: Identifying you gun?

I try to keep paperwork (as much as I can), but for insurance purposes, I know that my insurer required pictures, including receivers (serial numbered components) of my firearms that I have had insured by them. In the digital age...its easy to do. I take detailed photos of both right/left as well as close-ups of the receiver with the serial # clearly visible.

If pics are good enough for an insurer, I think you'll be okay with them in terms of getting insurance, reporting theft to law enforcement, etc.

Detailed pics and descriptions, the NRA has some good info on their site for logging guns. Also use the SERIAL NUMBER!!!

not only paperwork, but also I keep all my serial number data in a safe place with pictures of each so that i can identify them all

I have an extra usb drive. I think I will take a bunch of pictures and make a word document with a detailed description (including serial numbers). Then store it in my safety deposit box with my NFA stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Write down make, model, and serail number.
Take pics of both sides with whole firearm in pic and pic of serial numer as well as any other stamping or engraving.

Keep any paperwork you have for your firearms and keep them in a separate place or safe.

We have a safe for important documents and valuables separate from the gun safe. We keep DVD's of not only guns but other valuables, household items, and papers. A friend of mine lost his house during the Rodeo-Chediski Fire and went round and round with his insurance company. Another homeowner lost his house but the stuff in his safe survived.....including a DVD of all of his stuff. That homeowner had a much easier time with his insurance company because of the DVD records of items.

Yep good advice, these days it's so easy to keep pictures of everything now that most everyone has digital cameras if not 3. Another easy trick is I used to scan receipts for things, it's actually easier now with any decent camera to set it to macro and just photo the receipt.

Serial numbers of course and lots of pics, anything that is rare or a collectors item wouldn't hurt to have it appraised either. Also most insurance companies are flat out pissy about any big item that you try to claim that you can't provide a receipt for these days. A lot of us spend a lot of money on accessories for our guns etc. so it's important to have receipts for all that stuff. I mean how many guys have $1000 of stuff added onto a $1000 rifle. I've known several people that really had to fight with their insurance company and in most cases didn't get everything covered because they could not provide either adequate proof of ownership, or their policy didn't cover replacement cost it covered basically the "used" value of the item.

It's also best to have copies of that info (usually DVD, hardrive, thumbdrive etc.) in at least two places (and one off-site). It won't do you any good if your house burns down or it's in the safe that gets stolen etc.

It sounds crazy anal, and it was a huge amount of work to do up front, but now if I get anything I just can easily add the pics it to the folder and update the backup every now and then. I've seen too many insurance horror stories not to protect myself as much as possible. It also goes a long ways with your insurance agent because it saves them a lot of work and them arguing with their people on what to cover for you. If you help them out they are that much more likely to go to bat for you in the process.