• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ID'ing Douglas vs WOA barrel?

Cerebus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Frederick, MD
I have an AR barrel that I bought about a year ago. It was used but unfired so there is no paperwork with it, and I can't find the email trail with the buyer. I don't remember if it was a Douglas or WOA. Is there anyway to tell the difference? The only markings are a "35" up near the collar and "CLE 1-7 4-09" at the top of the barrel. Not sure about the 35 and CLE, but I believe the rest is twist and the type of SS.

Pic if it helps (it's big):
http://frankaintskinny.com/pics/spr-barrel.jpg

Re: ID'ing Douglas vs WOA barrel?

CLE indicates that Compass Lake Engineering chambered the barrel.

I believe the 4-09 indicates date of manufacture. My WOA had 4-08 marked on it near the barrel extension, but it also had WOA clearly marked as well. So I'm not sure what to say... Sorry about that!

I'm curious. Did it come with a matched bolt? I'm pretty sure mine had an extra set of digits that matched what was hand engraved onto the matched bolt.

Like MLC said, CLE is compass lake engineering.

It's a Douglas. Cle means compass lake engineering as others have posted. compas lake chambers blanks, and they do alot of Douglas. Woa is another barrel maker that chambers barrels, they do not make blanks. They do mostly shillen barrel blanks if I remember right. If your barrel was a woa it would say Woa instead of cle.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious. Did it come with a matched bolt? I'm pretty sure mine had an extra set of digits that matched what was hand engraved onto the matched bolt.

Like MLC said, CLE is compass lake engineering. </div></div>

Yup, it came with a matched bolt. I never looked at it closely until just now, but it has a "35" etched into it.
smile.gif

Sounds like it's definitely a Douglas. Thanks guys.

Compass Lake engineering uses both Douglas and Krieger blanks. But it's most likely that it's a Douglas blank since it's the SPR contour. And if you bought it from a member here, I'm betting it was the brother of the barrel I bought. (Sounds like the right time frame, spec-ed the same, etc.)

I did indeed pick it up from a member here, but drawing a blank on their name.

Edit: it was from AC_Doctor

I would also say Douglas as mine has the same marks. I called CLE earlier this month to find out what barrel it was among other info. My riffle was a complete build by CLE on a Bushmaster lower with CLE 2 stage trigger. Very nice shooting rifle. Also was told they only use Douglas and Kreiger barrels.

CLE uses Douglas and Kreiger inhouse. CLE also machines and chambers Wilson's for WOA. So it could be either a Douglas or a Wilson from WOA.