• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors If buying 1911 as a possible family....

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
Hey guys, I am in teh market for a nice 1911, to be able to hand down to my son, and for him to hand down to his, and his his, etc...SO, I guess you could call it a family heirloom, even though it isn't "right now".
So, what 1911 would YOU buy? Now, I want a gun that can be shot as well, not some "safe eye candy". My budget is gonna be limited to @ $1500, HOWEVER, would be nice to stick in teh $800-$1000 range for a nice HG.

So, that being said, which and why?

Thanks

Re: If buying 1911 as a possible family....

Well, for that price range, I'll recommend the same thing I did in the last "which 1911" thread but for different reasons: Springfield

Since you want to hand it down to your grandkids and all, it's got a forged frame and slide, and it's a true 1911, with none of the Series 80 firing pin stop or Kimber Series II Schwarz safety nonsense. The ILS in the mainspring housing is an easy $30 swap, and you've got a 1911 just as JMB intended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, for that price range, I'll recommend the same thing I did in the last "which 1911" thread but for different reasons: Springfield

Since you want to hand it down to your grandkids and all, it's got a forged frame and slide, and it's a true 1911, with none of the Series 80 firing pin stop or Kimber Series II Schwarz safety nonsense. The ILS in the mainspring housing is an easy $30 swap, and you've got a 1911 just as JMB intended. </div></div>

Yeah, I read that thread, but figured mine might be a "little" different, since he was looking for "budget", in the $600 range, and I am looking to spend more if I have to, for a real nice unit.

OK, so have a vote for a Springfield...assuming the Mil Spec as well?

Also, where can I find one, and @ how much are the Mil Spec's going for?

In your price range, you could probably find a Loaded or TRP. My personal preference, for an heirloom, would be to start with a Mil-Spec or GI, and upgrade from there. The Loaded's got front slide serrations, which I'm not a fan of as far as looks, and the TRP's got all kinds of visually unappealing features, like TACTICAL written down the dustcover. Better to start with a blank slate and customize. Makes it more of a family item anyway. Just make sure you go to someone who knows what he's doing. If you go the GI route look it over well first - I wouldn't want to begin my project with one that has IMBEL BRAZIL buzzpenned on the dustcover.

I Say start a custom built off a Caspian frame. Just buy a frame and slide. accrue the necessary parts and get a truly custom handgun tailored to you. The task will require a little patience though. But seeing as it will be a family heirloom, you have nothing but time.
Caspian

Order an STI Lawman with an unramped barrel.

My father gave me a Springfield Mil Spec on my 21st to keep as an heirloom in the family. I love that pistol more than anything I could possible buy. Not only is it tasteful with its classic design but I absolutely love that it's not all "power ranger'ed" out with night sights and rails and other things I deem unnecessary. It's memorable and beautifully simplistic. You don't need to spend $1500 to get what you're looking for.

Not mine specifically, just an example...
SA_MS_R_3_640.jpg

I agree with Calibur, do it slow, custom, and exactly what you want.

If not, get a Springfield.

Avoid Kimber.

And Para Ordinance.

And Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your price range, you could probably find a Loaded or TRP. My personal preference, for an heirloom, would be to start with a Mil-Spec or GI, and upgrade from there. The Loaded's got front slide serrations, which I'm not a fan of as far as looks, and the TRP's got all kinds of visually unappealing features, like TACTICAL written down the dustcover. Better to start with a blank slate and customize. Makes it more of a family item anyway. Just make sure you go to someone who knows what he's doing. If you go the GI route look it over well first - I wouldn't want to begin my project with one that has IMBEL BRAZIL buzzpenned on the dustcover. </div></div>

Good point..IT HAS TO BE MADE IN U.S.A., period! 100% of it, NO exceptions. More than likely, I will try and find someone local, just so I can meet up face to face and talk about what I want to do to it. Just hoping to find a nice (as you stated) a blank slate to start with.

So, where can i find, and how much for teh Mil Spec (2 votes so far)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Say start a custom built off a Caspian frame. Just buy a frame and slide. accrue the necessary parts and get a truly custom handgun tailored to you. The task will require a little patience though. But seeing as it will be a family heirloom, you have nothing but time.
Caspian </div></div>

Link was not working for me...will try again in a bit. The link you provided, does it have info on where to buy the frame/slide?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father gave me a Springfield Mil Spec on my 21st to keep as an heirloom in the family. I love that pistol more than anything I could possible buy. Not only is it tasteful with its classic design but I absolutely love that it's not all "power ranger'ed" out with night sights and rails and other things I deem unnecessary. It's memorable and beautifully simplistic. You don't need to spend $1500 to get what you're looking for.

Not mine specifically, just an example...
SA_MS_R_3_640.jpg
</div></div>

VERY beautiful 1911 right there, and is is how for teh most part, I want to keep it, very simple with not alot of "bling" to it.

well, there is 3 votes for teh Springfield, and if you look at that other thread, it seems the Springfield is an overwhelming favorite @ here.

So, question still remains:
Where can I lcoate one, and @ how much could I expect to pay?

Second question:
Anyone know of a reputable gunsmith in teh Houston area?

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY STAINLESS MILSPEC 1911A1 (PB9151LP) NEW
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(PB9151LP)THIS IS A NEW IN THE BOX MIL-SPEC PISTOL FROM SPRINGFIELD ARMORY IT IS STAINLESS STEEL WITH A 5" BARREL, FIXED THREE DOT SIGHTS,COCOBOLO WOOD GRIPS WITH THE SPRINGFIELD LOGO AND BLACK GRIPS,COMES WITH TWO FACTORY MAGAZINES XD-GEAR HOLSTER, THE ORIGINAL BOX AND MANUAL.**(LIFETIME WARRANTY)

Found teh above listing for $635....about right?

Here is a pic of it:

1911.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your price range, you could probably find a Loaded or TRP. My personal preference, for an heirloom, would be to start with a Mil-Spec or GI, and upgrade from there. The Loaded's got front slide serrations, which I'm not a fan of as far as looks, and the TRP's got all kinds of visually unappealing features, like TACTICAL written down the dustcover. Better to start with a blank slate and customize. Makes it more of a family item anyway. Just make sure you go to someone who knows what he's doing. If you go the GI route look it over well first - I wouldn't want to begin my project with one that has IMBEL BRAZIL buzzpenned on the dustcover. </div></div>

Good point..IT HAS TO BE MADE IN U.S.A., period! 100% of it, NO exceptions. More than likely, I will try and find someone local, just so I can meet up face to face and talk about what I want to do to it. Just hoping to find a nice (as you stated) a blank slate to start with.

So, where can i find, and how much for teh Mil Spec (2 votes so far)?

</div></div>

If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.

That's why I suggested STI. ALL STI 1911s, except the Spartan, are 100% made in Texas, USA, and assembled there as well.

+1 on what Downzero said. If you need USA made, Springfield is out. Aside from that, SA quality is all over the place. Hard to say what you're going to get.

And while it does seem that you are tying to gather information, I might suggest looking at the dedicated 1911 forums for much more insight on the 1911 platform. I would encourage you to gather information and decide on something that you like, not what a bunch of people tell you to buy.

If it were me, I would say get something classic and/or simple and do some custom tweeking. It's those personal touches that will make it special down the line.....not the name scrolled on the slide.

If it is to be passed down and an heirloom I would get a Gold Cup. If you are going to use and abuse get a springer or wilson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mumbles said:
</div></div>

If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.

That's why I suggested STI. ALL STI 1911s, except the Spartan, are 100% made in Texas, USA, and assembled there as well. </div></div>

Ahhhhh, that sucks. Yeah, I want it made in USA.

Hmmm, ok....well, where can I find the STI? Glad you told me that, as I was pretty much set on the Springfield

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on what Downzero said. If you need USA made, Springfield is out. Aside from that, SA quality is all over the place. Hard to say what you're going to get.

And while it does seem that you are tying to gather information, I might suggest looking at the dedicated 1911 forums for much more insight on the 1911 platform. I would encourage you to gather information and decide on something that you like, not what a bunch of people tell you to buy.

If it were me, I would say get something classic and/or simple and do some custom tweeking. It's those personal touches that will make it special down the line.....not the name scrolled on the slide.

</div></div>

Well, while I respect those on a 1911 site, I figure most here will give me what I am looking for, and since I don't plan on hangin out on a 1911 site, no reason to join jsut to ask that one question. I am just looking for some opinions from everyone, but of course, will make my own decision....and yes, simple is where it will stand...no bling bling for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is to be passed down and an heirloom I would get a Gold Cup. If you are going to use and abuse get a springer or wilson </div></div>

Used and abused, yes. Again, it will be passed down, BUT i want something that can handle the abuse, as it WILL NOT be a glass case, look no touch gun. It WILL get shot!

Wilson....USA made, ALL of it?

Wilson = double your price point

And yes, made in USA

What about Caspian?

Member above mentioned it, and provided a link, and at time, link did not work for me, but now is...

So, hopped over there, and it LOOKED like quality stuff, and made in USA. So, anymore info/feedback on Caspian? Was able to find a local Gunsmith, Vanden Berg...so was thinking of picking up slide and frame from Caspian, and have Gunsmith finish it out....opinions on this route?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson = double your price point

And yes, made in USA </div></div>

Ouch. OK, cross them off list.

Next

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.</div></div>

Well...all Springfield frames and slides begin in Brazil, but only the ones with a WW prefix in the SN are actually finished in Brazil. The ones with NM are finished here. But if that's a dealbreaker for you, so be it.

Caspian frames are cast just so you know, but they'd be a good route to take too.

STI's a good plan too, I just can't stand the way they look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.</div></div>

Well...all Springfield frames and slides begin in Brazil, but only the ones with a WW prefix in the SN are actually finished in Brazil. The ones with NM are finished here. But if that's a dealbreaker for you, so be it.

Caspian frames are cast just so you know, but they'd be a good route to take too.

STI's a good plan too, I just can't stand the way they look. </div></div>

Well here is the deal for the "made in teh USA" thing, to squash it in hopes before it becomes a political debate....
I know that just about anything, everywhere you buy something, SOME part is gonna be made elsewhere, this I realize. I do NOT have anything against Brazil or Germany or Finland or Switzerland or anywhere for that matter. But since this particular gun is going to have special meaning, and is going to be hopefully passed down from generation to generation (those are my intentions), I want it to be 100% made here.

All my other guns/trucks/cars/food/TV/phone's etc...I will deal with teh part made here and there concept, and we can leave it at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.</div></div>

How do you mean Caspian frames are cast? Are you saying Springfield (or other) are forged?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is to be passed down and an heirloom I would get a Gold Cup. If you are going to use and abuse get a springer or wilson </div></div>

I agree with The Mechanic. Nothing says heirloom like a Colt. If you're looking to shoot the crap out of it then spend the $$$ and buy a Wilson.

I'd be happy to inherit either and I'm picky as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Shavewa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is to be passed down and an heirloom I would get a Gold Cup. If you are going to use and abuse get a springer or wilson </div></div>

I agree with The Mechanic. Nothing says heirloom like a Colt. If you're looking to shoot the crap out of it then spend the $$$ and buy a Wilson.

I'd be happy to inherit either and I'm picky as hell.</div></div>

Nothing says heirloom like a pre-Series 80 Colt. I can't take a 1911 with a firing pin stop seriously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be Made in USA, ALL Springfields are out. ALL Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil.</div></div>

Well here is the deal for the "made in teh USA" thing, to squash it in hopes before it becomes a political debate....
I know that just about anything, everywhere you buy something, SOME part is gonna be made elsewhere, this I realize. I do NOT have anything against Brazil or Germany or Finland or Switzerland or anywhere for that matter. But since this particular gun is going to have special meaning, and is going to be hopefully passed down from generation to generation (those are my intentions), I want it to be 100% made here.

All my other guns/trucks/cars/food/TV/phone's etc...I will deal with teh part made here and there concept, and we can leave it at that. </div></div>

I have never owned a 1911 made elsewhere, either. The gun was designed to be made on inch machines, and so to me, it seems a good idea to get one made here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun was designed to be made on inch machines, and so to me, it seems a good idea to get one made here.</div></div>

That is not a reality based concern. I'd take a Springfield, Sistema or Norinco over a Series II Kimber or Para. But I can definitely understand wanting your family heirloom to be 100% American.

ETA: What's up with the consistent misspelling of "the" peepaw?

Well thing is guys, again, I am not wanting the gun to be just a HG that sits and looks pretty. So, if you are saying teh Colt shouldn't or can't be abused, then no need in going there as this gun WILL be shot.
Not saying the gun is going to be trashed or what have you, but the gun will be taking out and do with it, what it is meant to do...shoot!

Maybe I buy teh Springfield, just so I can have a nice 1911 that is reasonably priced, and spend teh money on another one, to "put away", but we end up right back in the same boat...having 2 1911's that I plan on shooting, so I might as well just spend teh money on 1 of them.

So, since teh Springfield is not made in USA, not going that route for this purchase.
The Wilson, from what I have gathered is WAy to much money. SO, that leaves me teh Caspian so far. And aisde from teh frame being cast, that seems to be the only downside to it.

I am sure I can find a frame that is forged, correct? So, where can I buy a frame and slide that are both forged, from teh same company?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun was designed to be made on inch machines, and so to me, it seems a good idea to get one made here.</div></div>

That is not a reality based concern. I'd take a Springfield, Sistema or Norinco over a Series II Kimber or Para. But I can definitely understand wanting your family heirloom to be 100% American.

ETA: What's up with the consistent misspelling of "the" peepaw? </div></div>

OK, "teh" tackled first. I am a HORRIBLE typist. And for some reason, when I type, teh letter "h" seems to come out in teh wrong place....like when I type that or then, it will come out tehn or taht....HOWEVER, I will go back and change those, MOST times. BUT, there are so many "teh's", that I got tired of going back all the time and changing them, so I just leave them now. Every now and then, they will come out correct, but for most part, they come out like that, and done deal, just leave it, LOL!!

I am actually a very good speller, just HORRIBLE typist....
laugh.gif

Colt 45(acp)
Take your pic, Pleanty of models to chose from. Classic 70 remake. WWll. Custom shop,Commander,Defender, alot of flavors,
in my opinion Nothing says 45 like "Colt"...
Colt 45!!!
Your Call..
Good luck.
George of the Jungle..

+1 on the springfield - thinking of selling my Kimber and going with a Springfield..

Nothing wrong with getting a Colt, or shooting it, and they do have the history, just try to steer clear of the Series 80 Colts with the firing pin stop - not "pure" 1911s (in my opinion). Colt cuts a lot of corners on some models too - squared off hammer struts, cut out slide stop gaps, etc.

As for Caspian and asking about forged alternatives, Doc1911 linked to one:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since, you are going to pass this down, I would get something sort of special. That said for $1500.00 you can get a Fusion. http://www.fusionfirearms.com/</div></div>

No worries on "teh", pretty common, just thought it was odd since the rest of your spelling was fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun was designed to be made on inch machines, and so to me, it seems a good idea to get one made here.</div></div>

ETA: What's up with the consistent misspelling of "the" peepaw? </div></div>

Might want to keep track of who you're quoting.

the link I posted was to a $1200, used Wilson.

I think the best looking 1911 from the factory is a Les Baer PII.

Not to horribly expensive....and a gun that will be nince 30 years from now.

You can find very nice used ones less than 1500 bucks easily.
PII_RS.jpg

I'd look for a new Colt Series 70 Government Model. Colt dropped the firing pin safety gizmo on the re-issues (introduced on the Series 80's):

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q76-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

Since you are in Pearland, check with Collector's Firearms off Richmond & Fondren. If they don't have one they can probably get you one. It should be within your price range although I don't know if all the components are American made (I'd be disappointed if they weren't- it's a Colt!) I've an Ed Brown Kobra- all American made and definitely an heirloom quality pistol but at $2K it's out of your budget. It's the finest handgun I've ever shot; if you can stretch your budget you won't go wrong with an Ed Brown.

I do like my 1911's!

I have a Colt 70 Series at the smith right now being built. I also have a Caspian frame sitting in my safe. I was very impressed with the Caspian frame. Both made in USA if that matters to you. It still does to me. If you take care of it, they will last 100K rounds. My son will have mine some day.

Fusion Firearms makes slides and frames as well as kits. I'm pretty sure they are forged too but someone else would have to verify. I've heard nothing but good thing about the fusions.

The caspian i have is as smooth as butter, and looks good too. Customer service was top notch.
HPIM1789.jpg

This is before sights and new beavertail. Its a XR over-run

Get your kid(s) through college first, then worry about a brick in your safe. One has real value, the other doesn't.

SA 1911 A1 and go from there or run it as is your choice. You won't be sorry. It's my favorite sidearm bar none. Like comming home.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SA 1911 A1 and go from there or run it as is your choice. You won't be sorry. It's my favorite sidearm bar none. Like comming home.
Scot</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...But since this particular gun is going to have special meaning, and is going to be hopefully passed down from generation to generation (those are my intentions), I want it to be 100% made here...</div></div>

There are two Wilson CQB's in the FS section right now for $1800 ish. Buy once, cry once.

hmmm, no need to "hand it down" Put it in your will.

If it's in your will and all getting "handed down" I guess you could consider everything in your collection an heirloom.

Buy quality and not quantity for all your firearms and you don't have to worry about picking one.

Far too often you run across a guy with 100 firearms......all of it crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Get your kid(s) through college first, then worry about a brick in your safe. One has real value, the other doesn't.

.. </div></div>

Can respect your concern, but since you don't have any idea on my financial status, no need to worry about, nor bring up my kids college money. It's not my question that I asked, and not real sure why you would go there?

Not to mention, a family heirloom DOES have "real" value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm, no need to "hand it down" Put it in your will.

If it's in your will and all getting "handed down" I guess you could consider everything in your collection an heirloom.

</div></div>

No offense, but does anyone get these types of posts? I ask for an opinion on a 1911, and I start getting people tell me to worry about my kids college funds, and putting things in wills??? Not to mention, I plan on "handing it down" BEFORE I die
confused.gif

Would be nice for a change if we could keep the thread ON TOPIC, which is, "Do you have an opinon on a 1911 so I can pass it down to my son?"