• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes If I can go 2.4 mils below ZeroStop.....

David4570

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I just set up my NF 4-16 ATACR and had it on the 100 yard range this morning for the first time. I noticed I can dial 2.4 mils below the Zero Stop. Do I need to make the adjustment so it will only go 2 mils below the FS? Is there anything else going on in the turret I need to be concerned about if I leave it at 2.4 below FS?

Aside from that, this scope is MUCH better than the 10x42 Kahles that came on the rifle some 30 years ago. I can now appreciate the difference new scope technology makes. My shooting eye is messed up but now I can see a 30 cal. hole at 100 yards. My groups are significantly tighter if I do my part. I am totally satisfied with this Nightforce optic and given its reputation for reliable operation, I don't expect that to change. That said, I am glad its got a great warranty.

Note I had a smith do the mounting but used a Fat Wrench to tighten everything to NF specs. He left the ring screws and ring cross bolt nuts a little less than spec.

Last edited:
Set the zero stop wherever you want. I set mine to have 1 Mil below zero. This gives me plenty of room in case I change loads and need a few clicks down for a new zero.

If I understand the OP correctly you zeroed your scope and never adjusted the zero stop clutch from what the factory default setting was and it just happened that 2.4 mils below zero is what the zero stop setting ended up being? Either way as FLIGHT762 stated you can set zero stop wherever you want, but I also set mine for 1 mil below zero.

One of my scopes goes 2 clicks below the zero stop, which is to say, it can go .2 mils below zero. I'm assuming your scope clicks equal .1 mils each... so are you saying your scope goes 24 clicks below your zero stop?

Doesn't matter with the NF 4-16 because of its relatively unique zero stop, you're fine OP.

I like my zero stops between .5 and 1 mil below zero. To my mind the ZS has 2 functions, one is to prevent the shooter from going a turn too low when returning to zero (which yours currently does while set 2.4 mils below) and the other function is I could (if I had to) return the scope to zero by feel, and 24 clicks is a bit excessive for that IMHO.

Why don't I set the ZS to zero? I figure it's possible I could require dialing below zero in the field because the ammo that's available has a higher POI than the ammo it's zeroed to. Also, the scope could take a whack and shift its POA a little, and the clicks below zero would allow me to adjust for a little movement.

Several scopes I've owned have had fixed ZS, that is, regardless of where the zero is set, the ZS is a certain number of clicks below it (as long as the erector doesn't bottom in the main tube first). IIRC, S&B PMII w/DT turret, Steiner M5 5-25x56, and Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 have ZS around .7 mil below zero. I suppose that's where my preference was developed.

Yes 24 clicks was what I was getting before the following occurred, and I figured out the end of the sentence fragment that started this thread.

I first noticed my ZS wasn't engaging at all after getting home from its first range trip. I hadn't noticed it as I didn't think to test it when sighting it in.

When I first got it to the range I noticed this scope was mounted by the smith extremely close to being on center at 100 yds. The elevation turret only needed be adjusted a few .1 mil clicks to zero at 100 yds. The windage turret only needed to be turned 2 clicks to center! I only checked the downward adjustability after getting home. I also noticed the elevation turret had no automatic-stop at zero.

I read the manual and walked through the "fix". Now, after adjusting the ZS clutch so the ZS would engage, I can only get 9 clicks of downward elevation. So it would seem I might be able to back off the clutch and get more downward clicks. But, I think I let it stay at 9 clicks.

The ZS works just fine now. I really like this scope.

On my ATACR 4-16 F1, I have .4 mils below zero...