• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If I ever meet the SOB....

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Who thought of crimping primers I'll smack him right in his dirty pie hole....
CIMG5065.jpg

CIMG5066.jpg

Re: If I ever meet the SOB....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smack him with the glove you will wear next time.
cool.gif
</div></div>

+1...

I was going to ask why he didn't put on a glove when it started hurting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was going to ask why he didn't put on a glove when it started hurting... </div></div>

I ain't that smart I reckon...

Well I'm not either, as I am sitting here chamfering flash holes
and tasting brass
Now where is that glove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone show a pic of a crimped primer as opposed to one that isn't? </div></div>
DSCN0069.jpg

Left is a crimped case
Center is after removal of crimp, like what OP is doing.
Right is a case that never had crimp

In my hand loading experience I have found when I come in contact with crimped primer cases it to quickly toss them the hell out of my sight which has never cost me any loss of sleep or blistered thumbs !

Crimped primers serve their purpose . . .

I was running 223 UMC brass at a Roger's carbine class in '06. It was 92F in the shade. The extended fire sessions and hot weather heated my ammo to the point where primers started popping. One found it's way into my magazine, jamming things up. If I had the extra money, XM193 would have come in handy . . .

blown_1.jpg

blown_2.jpg

I just got done doing 800 Winnie 308s and 500 RP 223s for friends. Even using my TrimMate, I still got two blisters doing the various case prep steps. After the second, I started drapping a bandaid over my thumb tip, with the cushioned pad placed over the pad on my thumb.

No problems after that and you still retain the tactile feel needed for snatching the cases out of the cup or dish.

Chris

Get yourself a Dillon swager. Problem solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Dillon swager. Problem solved. </div></div>

Ditto. Second easiest prep job...right after trimming on the Giraud.

I was doing a several thousand batch of resizing and trimming on a Giraud trimmer and started to form a blister. Now I will just wear gloves when trimming.

Yes, and please smack him for me too. I have two seperate piles of brass. Those that I have to come back to and those I can use without the extra work involved.

I just burned through 400 rounds of various crimped nato 5.56 cases I'd accumulated in about 30 minutes on the Dillon swager. Took about 5 minutes to switch it over from 7.62 after I was done swaging 75 of those cases. Great tool and not too expensive relative to time savings and the "holy shit" factor: as in "holy shit why can't I think of stuff like this?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Dillon swager. Problem solved. </div></div>

Ditto. Second easiest prep job...right after trimming on the Giraud. </div></div>
+1

+1, WHY fight the problem..................spend a $100.00, if you use these cases regularly.

Shit, I am serisouly considering selling my 550 setup and go for the gusto and just step up to a 1050. lol. Doing large quantities of .223 cases has to be one of the worst if not the worse thing in reloading!

Bacarrat- let me know if you decide to sell your 550. I'm looking to buy one in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone show a pic of a crimped primer as opposed to one that isn't? </div></div>

I won't show you one that isn't because this one is so obvious. Most are not and a picture could not capture a crimp on say a 223.

DSCN3516.jpg

You fellas weren't kidding. Borrowed a Dillon Super Swager from a friend today and banged out about 700 pieces in the same time it took me to ream 100 yesterday and the primers are seating much easier in the pockets I swaged today.

Definitely on my shopping list now...

I use a round carbide burr in my cordless drill. It works pretty well, is fairly fast, and it was free. I will buy a Dillon some day, but for now, the burr works