• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If money were no object....SQUIRREL SCOPES!!

CAMO-TOE

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2019
Hello Fellas,

Long time listener, first time caller!

I have recently placed an order for a Vudoo V22 360 in 17M2.....with a field type stock with the ultimate Squirrel getter in mind.

My question to all of you is.....with a maximum budget of say $1,500 - $2,000 for glass....WHAT and WHY would that particular scope be your huckleberry?

Light transmission and optical clarity are must haves. As far as features I think I want:

Side Focus
Lighted reticle option (center only gets higher points)
Zero stop and lockable windage (or capped is fine as well) I dont plan to dial in the woods.
I'm leaning SFP but not 100% sure
3-18X or 4-16X

I have many Leupolds and they are ok but seem to fall short as far as brightness and light transmission in the woods.....especially with leaves on and cloudly days. I box full of price point scopes as well....all underwhelming.

I'd welcome any and all input on this subject.....as I want to buy once, cry once on this one.

I have a couple of contenders but currently but welcome any suggestions and squirrel scope 'theroy".

In the running:

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16X50 SFP
Trijicon Credo HX 4-16X50 SFP
Trijicon Accupoint 4-16X50 SFP
NightForce SHV 4-14X50 FFP
NightForce NXS 3.5-15X50 SFP

I am open to suggestions and hope to hear some real in-field reports on optical performance.

Thank you all and I look forward to our discussion! CT

Last edited:
I have a Trijicon 5-50 MRAD on my BB gun - can see writing on a dime @40 yds :ROFLMAO:

If money is truly no object, then this should do:

But since you really said, money is no object, as long as it isn't over 2,000, you have plenty of good options.
If you're going to be hunting with this, I would think a nice wide FOV and a good exit pupil would be a good thing.
Check out the Trijicon 2.5-15, they have one with a 42mm objective and another with a 56. Comes in under budget as well.

Last edited:
You can get an NX8 in that price range and you should. 20 yard parallax. 4-32. Illuminated. Not an ATCR but still very good glass and light enough for a hunting rig. You'll appreciate the extra magnification for those small targets.

First or second focal plane.

Reactions: deersniper
^Trijicon 5-50 has superior glass (ATACR quality) and 10 yd parallax, also illuminated, for less money than the NX8. 34mm though and heavier.

I have a Burris Timberline 4.5x 14 x 32, w/AO, on one of my CZ (455 LUX) for hunting squirrels and small games. Works good.

Thanks to everyone for their input thus far!

Question, of those options mentioned, sub $2k, which would you say has the advantage in light transmission and optical clarity? Im getting a little long in the tooth and optical performance is much more important than it used to be.

Thank you! CT

Thanks to everyone for their input thus far!

Question, of those options mentioned, sub $2k, which would you say has the advantage in light transmission and optical clarity? Im getting a little long in the tooth and optical performance is much more important than it used to be.

Thank you! CT
Nightforce. Call Doug @ Cameraland directly for pricing. Or C&S Tactical or Liberty Optics. All forum sponsors and will often have demos for a nice price. And most demos look just like new and come with all the warranties. If you have to have new, I'm sure they can work something out within your budget. Just important that you actually call one of those and speak to them directly as demos and sale items are not always on the websites.

But if you're willing to buy used, there's many great deals on Kahles in PX here. Gonna be hard to beat the optical clarity of a Kahles. But they're not light.

Reactions: CAMO-TOE
Personally, I have never seen a Nightforce match the low light performance of a Schmidt-Bender or Swarovski in a hunting situation. Both are also available from Gr8tfuldoug at Cameraland.

Kahles hunting scopes were so good that when Swarovski bought Kahles they had K stop making hunting scopes, and moved that tech into the Swaro product.

I have a lht 3-15-50 and it has nice glass and does well under canopy but it's going to be in the ballpark of your Leupolds.