• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing If she shows up in our rural yard come this October…

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
I’ll make sure she has a nice cool place to spend the winter. Free from parasites and predators

7618165D-9980-4E4D-85A5-D09387132A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few doe this year. Jumped two on my ride yesterday (always a concern when cycling) and of course this one came though the homeplace during the afternoon. Do hope at least a couple stick around to fill the freezer, especially a barren doe.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few doe this year. Jumped two on my ride yesterday (always a concern when cycling) and of course this one came though the homeplace during the afternoon. Do hope at least a couple sticks around to fill the freezer, especially a barren doe.
Another old friend of mine, John (RIP,) would hunt his aunt's property and he would use a black powder muzzler with his own handmade .50 cal lead balls to harvest a barren doe or two, leaving more resources for the younger does that were producing fawns. I got to have some of that and it was good. And good for the herd and for Oklahoma.

He would bring me chili grind, usually. One time, he got an elk and I had some of that.

Another time, he and a cousin got a feral hog. I cooked that on the smoker and it was wonderful.

Another time, he got a doe and he usually would give the ribs to his dad. His dad bred and raised Beagles and would feed them deer ribs as treats. So, John gave me a rack to smoke and I did it and it came out like a soft and savory jerky.

John said, and I quote, "That is the last time I waste ribs on dogs."

• Love
Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
She wouldn't make it to October if that was my yard.
Haven't been able to have a garden for the past 3 years on account of damned deer.
Both my trucks are beat to hell from hitting the bastards going back and forth to work in the wee hours of the morning.
They are so over populated around here till it's not uncommon to see herds of does, fawns and yearlings numbering 30 or more.
My neighbor is a produce farmer, he planted 60 acres of watermelons this spring and the deer ate them down to the point he never picked a single melon off the entire 60 acres.
Can't farm cotton, peanuts, soybeans and some varieties of field corn ect. on account of the damned deer eating it.
If you own land people aggregate the living hell out of you to let them hunt, but they ain't interested in killing the does, they all trophy hunters.
I don't even shoot coyotes anymore hoping they'll live up to the DNR's claims of being fawn killers and help control the deer population explosion.
Deer are hated due to their destructiveness around here to the point they get shot on sight.
They're worse than hogs in many ways.
IMG_20230404_172836057_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230404_172827346_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230404_164758985_HDR.jpg

My lastest road kill from a couple months ago.
I had just replaced that headlight assy about a month before.
🤬🤬🤬🤬 Deer....

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
Haven't been able to have a garden for the past 3 years on account of damned deer.
Both my trucks are beat to hell from hitting the bastards going back and forth to work in the wee hours of the morning.
They are so over populated around here till it's not uncommon to see herds of does, fawns and yearlings numbering 30 or more.
My neighbor is a produce farmer, he planted 60 acres of watermelons this spring and the deer ate them down to the point he never picked a single melon off the entire 60 acres.
Can't farm cotton, peanuts, soybeans and some varieties of field corn ect. on account of the damned deer eating it.
If you own land people aggregate the living hell out of you to let them hunt, but they ain't interested in killing the does, they all trophy hunters.
I don't even shoot coyotes anymore hoping they'll live up to the DNR's claims of being fawn killers and help control the deer population explosion.
Deer are hated due to their destructiveness around here to the point they get shot on sight.
View attachment 8196456View attachment 8196458View attachment 8196457

🤬🤬🤬🤬 Deer....
I have been looking for a place to hunt ...

Yeah really, where is this? I'm up for a doe or 2 or 3 as is my BIL.
I hunt on public land and I have seen sign. I also see a lot of other hunters around, which can scare off the deer. So, yeah, I would like to find a farmer who needs deer culled off his land. I would take does, spikes, whatever. I like the meat. A trophy would be second cool, of course.

View attachment 8196456View attachment 8196458View attachment 8196457

🤬🤬🤬🤬 Deer....
Killed four, hit a fifth but the deer ran off so I can only claim a damaged and am still not an ace. Gardens? They leave us nothing but the stalk. Quit trying to have a garden years ago. Started harvesting my veggies on the hoof.

Funny thing, Brenda has hit one deer, with her Miata. A sure kill, it hobbled off with a badly broken leg. Miata, not a scratch. She insisted the insurance people came to check it and show them the hair but otherwise no damage, insisting they lower her rates. That was Christmas 2004. Will III and I were retuning from Colorado three days later, 40 miles from our home, a deer ran out in front of us. the Dodge truck made it home but it took $2800 to repair the damage.

We kill some in the yard, though a bunch of people have moved in during the last few years making this a somewhat risky business. Fortunately, I have been a guest on a neighbor's lease adjourning our homes. Good hunting. I try to kill at least one barren doe during veteran's season and then later in the season, if its brown, its down.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
Saw a doe in my neighbors yard on Tuesday that had triplet fawns. I've never seen a doe with triplets before. That doe and fawns I believe were responsible for topping off our green beans and bell peppers in the garden a few nights ago. Can't hunt them here.

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
Saw a doe in my neighbors yard on Tuesday that had triplet fawns. I've never seen a doe with triplets before. That doe and fawns I believe were responsible for topping off our green beans and bell peppers in the garden a few nights ago. Can't hunt them here.
Twins been common place for years. Almost the rule. See triplets here and there.

Hopefully disease wipes them out. Of course .gov try’s to fuck that aspect of nature up too

Got em by the dozens lately it seems View attachment 8192298
@roostercogburn98 Our groups seems to have had a good year this year. Looks like several fawns may make it to adulthood. Haven’t been hearing many coyotes this year.

The temp on you trail cam is insane!! I thought mine got hot. What type of batteries are you using? How’s that Browning holding up in this heat? I pulled mine a couple weeks ago.

@roostercogburn98 Our groups seems to have had a good year this year. Looks like several fawns may make it to adulthood. Haven’t been hearing many coyotes this year.

The temp on you trail cam is insane!! I thought mine got hot. What type of batteries are you using? How’s that Browning holding up in this heat? I pulled mine a couple weeks ago.
I’ve got issues with the browning as you can see by the temp. It has recently stopped revive the sd card as well. It stays out year round, and has been up for about 2-1/2 years I think. I don’t know if it will work again, but I need to go pull it and see what’s up.

As for deer, I had only two fawns this year I believe one may have died but could be wrong. I had one doe drop twins last year and both survived to the best of my knowledge. The herd needs thinned this year I believe.

I’ve got issues with the browning as you can see by the temp. It has recently stopped revive the sd card as well. It stays out year round, and has been up for about 2-1/2 years I think. I don’t know if it will work again, but I need to go pull it and see what’s up.

As for deer, I had only two fawns this year I believe one may have died but could be wrong. I had one doe drop twins last year and both survived to the best of my knowledge. The herd needs thinned this year I believe.
@roostercogburn98 Sounds like a promising season is upon us. As for the Browning trail cams, I’ve had a couple and both were sent in for warranty work. One was fixed and the other was trashed, something about a circuit board that is no longer made. I’ve since moved onto Bushnell cams.

Reactions: roostercogburn98