• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If the manufacturer was listening, what realistic thing would you change about your favorite optic?

Hoody2shoes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
Every optic has compromises-If the manufacturer was listening, what realistic thing would you change about your favorite optic? I'm not talking about the mythical 10oz, ffp 1-8 that's bullet proof, German glass, and costs $100. I'm talking realistic change(s) to your favorite optic

For me, I'd change a couple small things in the atacr with the fc-dmx
1-get rid of the hold under dots.
2-cut the thickness of the outer ring in half. Without illumination the circle dot isn't visible at 1x anyway and with illumination they are a bit too thick and can turn into a blob instead of a circle dot.
3-Get rid of the second mil Windhold at the 1 mil mark
4-Widen the fov. I'm not talking going from 95 or whatever fov to 150. But I think an increase to 100-105 houldn't be an issue. This is the most minor gripes though

Screenshot attached for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720-192641_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720-192641_Chrome.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 81
And every thermal manufacturer….regardless of hand held or scope….to install a PVS-14 or equivalent eyepiece so us folk with glasses will have proper eye relief! And not be looking through a drinking straw at the target!

I'd like to see a center dot that is .04 on zco. The .036 is just a tiny bit too small for me but it's not a huge issue. I just can lose it sometimes because it's so small. Of course, it's a fine line there, definitely don't want too big of a dot which covers up my poa. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with mpct 2/3

I'd like to see a center dot that is .04 on zco. The .036 is just a tiny bit too small for me but it's not a huge issue. I just can lose it sometimes because it's so small. Of course, it's a fine line there, definitely don't want too big of a dot which covers up my poa. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with mpct 2/3
Reasonable change

And every thermal manufacturer….regardless of hand held or scope….to install a PVS-14 or equivalent eyepiece so us folk with glasses will have proper eye relief! And not be looking through a drinking straw at the target!
Makes sense

Reactions: Concrete shooter
NF ATACR

Update the glass
Get rid of ocular rotation with magnification
Eliminate the tunneling
Price the same or under as ZCO

You could dominate the market as long as you remain reliable
The ocular rotation is really popular on the 1-8 for us overseas boi's.

I'd be happy with an Atacr 1-10 with parallax and agree with a thinner circle or none at all AND low profile noncapped turrets than I can dial.

And till then, I'm going to use my mk5 2-10s. Athlon made a terrific scope with the 1-10...but I'd pay a lot for a hybrid between the mk5 and Atacr 1-8s

USO FDN:
  • Make a JVCR gen 2 with .2 marks on the vertical axis.
  • Do an FDN that makes it down to 25yds parallax. I want to use mine on a .22.
  • Maybe offer a 7-35x56?
  • Stop making crap in China. Make that a shell company or something. Seriously, US Optics selling Chinese optics is a bad look. Just stop.
ATACR 7-35:
  • Offer 10 MRAD/rev turrets

what is the advantage to it you see?
Wrap with some type of self adhesive wrap. Use to control magnification. The movement just feels easier to control when you're doing hoodrat things. Not knocking the throw lever-they work just fine. A lot of dudes opt to not use the throw lever at all though as it can get caught up in gear fairly easy. This is pretty specific to lpvos though.

Reactions: stanley_white
I'd like to see an American scope brand(s) manufacture their entire scope (glass, coatings, everything) here in the US. I'm not talking about assembled here in the US either. Hell I'd like to see several brands do this such as Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex or USO.

I'd like to see an American scope brand(s) manufacture their entire scope (glass, coatings, everything) here in the US. I'm not talking about assembled here in the US either. Hell I'd like to see several brands do this such as Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex or USO.
I think Burris' XTR Pro and USO's FDN both fit this description. But yes, it'd be nice to see more of it.
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.52.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Birddog6424
Dear Vortex,

Take your good ol’ Razor HDG2 4.5-27 and upgrade the glass to Gen3 spec… maybe offer it in black, sell lots of them, the end.
A good rant about black Razors is long over due.

A black Razor 3-18 that didn't weigh 3lb would be on my wish list. With the return of the .05mil thick reticle.

The XTR Pro IS my wish list. Plus some added features like tooless zero and red/green illumination.

It's been a hoot seeing this scope come to market. And touring the Burris facility to watch them be built from A to Z.

Dear Vortex,

Take your good ol’ Razor HDG2 4.5-27 and upgrade the glass to Gen3 spec… maybe offer it in black, sell lots of them, the end.
Why would you want a scope with less FOV, less mag, less travel, less focus range, and heavier than the 6-36?

Reactions: Concrete shooter
Nightforce use a dial for illumination I hate the button.

Include aadmount caps and throw lever with all scopes.

ATACR 4-16x42 style elevation turrets on all optics.

Optimize scopes for use with clip ons.

Overall these scopes seems to work very well as is for general purpose use and I haven’t heard much criticism:
Vortex 1-10
ATACR 4-16x42
ZCO 420 and 527

Nx8 2.5-20 for hunting / night use.

Reactions: Bakwa and chiroz
Why would you want a scope with less FOV, less mag, less travel, less focus range, and heavier than the 6-36?

Because the older design is more proven/bombproof, more magnification and travel is overrated (and sort of unnecessary), and… the Gen2 turrets are way better than even the “sent back/fixed” Gen3’s.

IMO the biggest difference is in the eyebox though, the Gen2 is much more forgiving and easier to get behind…

I want the better glass though, and BLACK!

Last edited:
Also.

Come out with a new scope mount and scope tube that doesn’t require leveling.

Maybe have it modular with spacers to adjust height.

NF ATACR

Update the glass
Get rid of ocular rotation with magnification
Eliminate the tunneling
Price the same or under as ZCO

You could dominate the market as long as you remain reliable
Um. Just buy a zco ? Has there been reliability issues with anything but the 840s?

Because the older design is more proven/bombproof, more magnification and travel is overrated (and sort of unnecessary), and… the Gen2 turrets are way better than even the “sent back/fixed” Gen3’s.

IMO the biggest difference is in the eyebox though, the Gen2 is much more forgiving and easier to get behind…

I want the better glass though, and BLACK!
I strongly disagree with you on all claims. Build quality is identical or possibly improved, eye box is better, and turrets are much more user friendly (one screw facing you on zero and never loosens up even with way less torque). Not to mention the Optics are just in another league over the gen 2. Plus parallax down to 10yds.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. As far as the color goes.......if color is in your priority stack I'm not sure I can even begin to understand your Optics choice decision making process.

Reactions: DM1975 and YotaEer
I bought it second hand so it could have been damaged before I got it but

The ZCO locking elevation turret on my scope sucks. You push it down to lock and it goes half way down, to get it to lock down it has to jump .05 mil down.

This may be something I did while zeroing but for the life me I don’t know what that would be.

I’ll be sending it in for NLE conversion when I have the time. Problem solved. I’m not a locking elevation fan anyway.

I strongly disagree with you on all claims. Build quality is identical or possibly improved, eye box is better, and turrets are much more user friendly (one screw facing you on zero and never loosens up even with way less torque). Not to mention the Optics are just in another league over the gen 2. Plus parallax down to 10yds.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. As far as the color goes.......if color is in your priority stack I'm not sure I can even begin to understand your Optics choice decision making process.

Sorry if I insulted your favorite kit bruh, don't cry.

I bought it second hand so it could have been damaged before I got it but

The ZCO locking elevation turret on my scope sucks. You push it down to lock and it goes half way down, to get it to lock down it has to jump .05 mil down.

This may be something I did while zeroing but for the life me I don’t know what that would be.

I’ll be sending it in for NLE conversion when I have the time. Problem solved. I’m not a locking elevation fan anyway.
Have you read the manual ?

When zeroing you tighten the set screws slightly with the turret up. Then push turret down and fully tighten. It talks about this issue iirc

Reactions: Secant
Just bring back the original 3-12 and actually make it 19oz this time.🤣🤣🤣

Honestly, .25 mil marks of the G4 would be darn nice.
No missed shots without and would be slick.

If getting Illumination, do the G4 dot and the circle only.

24 OZ and up the glass to the same quality of my XRS 3…..

My LRHS 3-12 kills a lotta stuff every year. 😎

March:
1. Blasphemy - make one or two "normal" scopes with a 5x or 6x erector ratio (e.g. 3-18, 4-20, 5-30, 6-36)
2. Do not artificially restrict the exit pupil of said scope
3. Update the FML-TR1 and FML-3 reticle to extend all the way to edge at low mag
5. Tone down the .2 mrad hash marks by the FML-TR1 / FML-3 center a touch
6. Label the distance on parallax knob
7. Crack the code on non-translating turrets

ZCO:
1. Adapt all that sweet engineering known how to a 34mm tube (or even a 30mm) for a cross over design.
2. Give a bottom post on the MPCT1 after... 10 mrad at most, 6-8 is more reasonable.

S&B:
1. Just pay someone else for their reticles... presumably the margins on your optics can cover the expense.
2. If I have to choose between S&B and TT/ZCO, you will lose every time... adjust pricing or design accordingly.

Vortex:
1. Make something between the monster that is the Razor HD G3 and the LHT
2. Eliminate the thin top crosshair from the XLR-2 reticle above 3 mrad
3. Give me the XLR-2 side/bottom posts in (or the whole damn thing in lieu of) the EBR-7D, eliminate the top crosshair above 3 mrad

Zeiss:
1. LRP turrets... non-translating
2. LRP turrets... smaller than a top hat
3. LRP S5 tube/body... slim and tone, maybe some yoga

Kahles:
1. update/modernize your k318i, call it a k318i DLR and sell many
2. Something other than a SKMR trees would be great, but I can deal with the plain SKMR

General, to whoever wants to take up the gauntlet:
- make a competitor to the Razor HD LHT... the under 25 oz. full featured FFP optic space is a lonely one

For everyone to quit asking 2k plus for a 1-10 and quit putting circles in the reticles.. love to have one that was hunting based for popping yotes day and night

Reactions: RanchhandTCR
delta striker 5x50 I would have not changed anything .