• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors " IF & WOULD "

justme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
If a person had a known rifle that could & would hold a 3/4" group @ 100 with hand loads as long as the guy squeezin the trigger did his part.
Then
this person screws his new can on and instantly the group size doubles to 1 1/2 "

Would it be best for this person to start over and work up a new load with the can mounted and hope to "get back to 3/4 " if possible
or just accept 1 1/2" "quieter " as the new norm witch will still work just fine for this rifle's intended purpose,....... shtf ,zombies , and bumps in the night.

It seems the extra weight is giving my barrel a different harmonic vibration .

This would be a 16" M4 type carbine.

Thanks in advance

I'd try too tighten the group with the can on. You never know when you might need that extra distance.
I have not had that much difference with any of my firearms. I think you hit the "harmonics" on the head.
Good luck. Hope someone here has a few good suggestions.

I would try to work a load, but then again I enjoy the search for perfection

On a 16" M4, I would just accept the 1.5" group as the new norm.

You could end up chasing your tail altering loads, changing to an adjustable gas block, BCG's, buffer's and so on. Seems like a waste of time if you still consider the current accuracy acceptable... unless you are looking for an excuse to tinker?

What can?
Most of my experience is with bolt guns, however it's possible the bullet is going very near the baffles. Threading an M4 for a muzzle break/flash hider doesn't require the mnfr to hold tolerances for a suppressor. If it's a .223 cal can, I'd look for a short .30 or 6.5 cal can and see if the extra room makes the difference. look for any slight keyholing on the paper (a sign of a strike). If it shoots better, you might infer that threads/and or can is the problem.

You might also screw that can on a known good bolt gun, see if the same thing happens.

This happened to me, a bad threading job.

It's a 30 caliber can being used on a 223.
Good gun, good can but together not so good.
I think I'll play with the charge weight.