• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could only have 1 pair of binos...

manscout

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Looking for binos. I'll only be able to get 1 for quite a while. It'll be used mainly for competition and training and will stay in the squad car with me as i work in a rural area. budget is a max of $500.

I think you would be best served with a pair of 10x42s, I have the Leupold 10x50 Mark4s with the Mildot Ret and I also have the Leupold 10x42s Tactical binos with the reticle in them, I prefer the Mk 4s but the 10x42s are just as good and they are more compact.And the Milling ret goes up to 40 Mils which is great for ranging larger objects.

hope that helps,

John.

Look at the Vortex Viper HD series. They offer a ranging reticle Viper HD R/T or 8×42 up to 15×50. Good binoculars. With LE discount should be under your limit. I have a pair of the 15×50.Good glass.

Steiner Military (the nicest you can get from them under your budget) as well as Northrup Grumman M24 binos

Steiner Military (the nicest you can get from them under your budget) as well as Northrup Grumman M24 binos

i've heard of those m24's. my impression is they're just re-branded nikons. i've seen them under $150. worth it over the steiners?

Take a peek at the BD42-10XD 10x42mm Prominar XD Binoculars reduced to only $399.99. In my opinion, under $600.00 this is the best 10x42 available.

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you.
Have a great day.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Last edited:
i've heard of those m24's. my impression is they're just re-branded nikons. i've seen them under $150. worth it over the steiners?

I have both as I don't want to buy some super expensive bino's to literally drag through the sand and rock here. Both sets of glass do their job just find as far as observation for people/animals at distance; neither are some magical thing where you can use them toi spot 22LR holes at 600 yards or something. They've both been beat up way more than I'd be comfortable seeing more expensive binos be handled.

The only real difference is the Steiners are larger and weigh more and the M24 is better armored, skinnier and I'd say the glass gives everything a slightly more yellow color.

If you wear corrective lenses, do yourself a favor and don't bother looking at anything that has less than 18mm of eye relief. 8x is my personal max, though I bought some 6.5x vortex fury's from Doug several years ago that are great for the patrol car. Super wide fields of view, little to no handshake and small in size yet able to work well in low light.

I think you would be best served with a pair of 10x42s, I have the Leupold 10x50 Mark4s with the Mildot Ret and I also have the Leupold 10x42s Tactical binos with the reticle in them, I prefer the Mk 4s but the 10x42s are just as good and they are more compact.And the Milling ret goes up to 40 Mils which is great for ranging larger objects.

hope that helps,

John.

I have the 10x50 Mk4s as well and really like them. Although if I had to have one pair, I would probably want to have a combo set with LRF.

Reactions: MilDot1960
I use Steiner Mil 8x30Rs in the car. Not too big, not to small, not on the heavy side for weight. A working magnification that doesnt allow scope shake to become an issue.

They are nice and fast for viewing as you set the diopters and than they are good to infinity.

This leaves you wanting for more refined focus on somethings when you actually locate it but for scanning a wide area and quick viewing they are great.

Retail on them is usually out of your budget but if you buy carefully used gear off the classifieds here you can usually buy better gear than you expected to with your budget.

I like the Steiner 8x binos. Also look at the Vortex Diamondback binoculars. Surprisingly good glass in its price range.

For a budget like that, I'd go look around at surplus stores, maybe ebay --may be able to find a really nice pair even less than $500 if patient. The 7x50 military bino is nice, has the grid for ranging on one side and the ARD/caps are super cheap and very well made with thick rubber caps. They're made by either Steiner or Fujinon; not sure if anyone else makes 'em or not. They can handle some abuse too.

And that IS the only pair I own. I'm sure you can do better, but I doubt you can get the same quality for the same price.

Having one with an LRF would be nice also.

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x25's a while back for $375.00 they're normaly $450. They're nice as hell I'd recommend anything from that line. Shop around there are deals to be had.

OP what did you buy?

Did something catch your interest but being outside budget you are saving more to get that thing you really want?

Most folks don't use a binocular much. Look at pawn shops or Ebay and get your choice for 25% of retail and near new condition. I prefer 10X and use 42 MM due to carrying on foot a lot. For auto use I would consider 50 MM objectives due to better low light performance.

Big take away is to shop used. I have purchased many top end binoculars for your 500.00 budget. Leica, Swaro, Zeiss. Just be patient and get what you want.

I bought my Steiner 8X for exactly the car use the OP describes.

......and I hardly ever use them in any capacity when in that type of car.

Even hiking I seldom use them for more than a quick look and usually Im moving so if its a quick look Ill often decide its not worth digging them out of the case and suffering the shaky hold to see what I might be interested in.

Now when I get to the top of whatever feature Im hiking and want to glass the view from a stable set thats when packing the binos was worth it.

90 percent of my bino use is sitting on a beach, in a comfortable chair glassing empty ocean, just relaxing watching waves. That changed a little this year as now the ocean is getting full of shit with teeth and when a shadow moves toward the kids swimming area from 100 or so yards off I want to determine "seal" or "shark".

Even that is tough as binos lack the polarized lenses to really see into the water.

Everyone should have a good set of binos and RTH1800 is absolutely right great deals can be had buying used but if thinking they are going to be good at the range you will be mistaken......If your scope has high mag it will be better than binos for observing and if you really need to glass or see detail and have the luxury of setting it up a spotter with mag higher than your rifle scope will be what you want.