• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors If you could only own one suppressor ?

Freedomaintfree

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2019
I keep reading that there is no “one size fits all” suppressor. I am no expert in suppressors and looking for some help.

I have about a $1400 max budget- including tax stamp and all. I was hoping to get something(s) I could run on 9mm /5.56/ 308 / 300 blackout and 300 win mag.

I am not going to buy a suppressor for each application. Maybe I could swing 2 more affordable suppressors. I am not looking to buy one now and buy another later. Just looking for most universal option in my budget.

What suppressor(s) would you run with $1400 to spend?

Reactions: ojs643
I believe that a jack of all trades is a master of none, but if I was looking for something like you are, I would probably go this or a similar route.

Reactions: Andrew863
Will be interested to see what the OP ends up doing. If it were me, I’d buy one can for 9mm and one for all my rifles like the Surefire Socom 762 RC2 or RC2 Mini if the Mini is rated for 300 win mag, assuming a 22”+ barrel.

The SilencerCo Omega 36M truly gets as close to "All Calibers" as anything I've experienced thus far. Mine is used on my pistols (9mm-45ACP) and rifles (223-338LM). It's modular, flexible, and awesome. 2nd choice would be the SC Chimera-300, which I also use on several rifles.

1613168677061.png

I keep reading that there is no “one size fits all” suppressor. I am no expert in suppressors and looking for some help.

I have about a $1400 max budget- including tax stamp and all. I was hoping to get something(s) I could run on 9mm /5.56/ 308 / 300 blackout and 300 win mag.

I am not going to buy a suppressor for each application. Maybe I could swing 2 more affordable suppressors. I am not looking to buy one now and buy another later. Just looking for most universal option in my budget.

If you can slightly up that budget by $200-$400, you could get a nice pistol can, and a nice rifle can with stamps and trusts from Silencer Shop... And if there is a dealer with a Silencer Shop Kiosk nearby to get your fingerprints done electronically, it's as easy as buying something off of Amazon after that... They have streamlined this process so much.

There is no such thing as a can that does everything well... It can't do lots of things, and still do them all well...Something will suffer. That's the nature of everything in life. Suppressors, guns, and optics are no different.

My recommendations are the Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45 can (depending on your needs). And for rifles, getting a Dead Air Nomad-30 or Nomad-L, or... If your local dealer can order you one, maybe a Rex Silentium Mod-X .30 caliber can. It's modular in length, so you can run it short on the AR's or long on the bolt guns.

Reactions: Patriots1884
Unless your running a PCC for 9mm I would forget the pistol can, more novelty than anything.
I would recommend the Surefire SOCOM 7.62 or Deadair Sandman S for a versatile rifle can if you plan on using on gas guns too. If just bolt guns than a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or Dominus

Reactions: soflastg
If I had to do it all over again to start with, I would go with a magnum rated 22lr can and a magnum rated 30 cal can.
Having said that, I must confess to owning over a dozen cans. Addictive

Buy a suppressor that fits most of your needs, then buy a solvent trap, Form 1 that suppressor to suit the rest of your needs.

Reactions: REL1203
You can get a yankee hill resonator r2 for $500ish and rugged obsidian 45 for $650 and pay the two tax stamps. The yankee hill shoots any .30 cal rifle caliber and down and the rugged shoots all the way up to 45-70. It’s a little over $1400 in total but covers everything.

Just one I’d do an OSS 7.62 ti since it has so little back pressure it runs well on most anything. Disregarding that aspect I’d do a Dominus. For all bolt gun use a TBAC Magnum because it’ll work on most anything short of a 50 bmg and is super quiet.

Buy 2 cans

1 dedicated for rifles

1 dedicated for pistols

Id opt for an OSS helix 7.62 to guarentee it will run on a semi auto without much fuss. Honestly its not the quitest suppressor ever but it doesnt sound bad and still works well. Dont get hung up too much on sound signature, to the naked ear they will either sound good and not cause pain, or they will sound like crap and possibly be sharp on the ears.

I have 2 OSS cans, the old generation helix and the new helix QD, both 30 cal. I like them alot and they can handle any 30 cal round and smaller with no barrel restrictions.

For a pistol can I have a silencerco octane 9HD (theres now a 9HD 2.0, I dont know much about it). I dont recommend the octane or the 2.0 because they arent modular.
If you can squeeze it, get a modular can with a short and long configuration. You'll likely find later that you enjoy the shorter can in general, especially if you want it on a handgun.

Understanding your budget of $1400, I would buy the rifle can first, stash the remainder, and budget back up to afford the pistol suppressor.

Buy only one and it fits and suppresses pretty much anything - SilencerCo Hybrid 46. It is a jack of all, not great at any and heavy.

Really, you should look at it like -
1 for Rifles
-If hard use / semi auto - like a Dead Air Nomad
-If for hunting / weight matters / precision - Thunderbeast Ultra or Dominus
1 for Pistols
-Rugged Obsidian 45
-Sico Omega9k or Dead Air Wolfman if for PCC also
1 for Rimfire
Rugged Oculus or DeadAir Mask, maybe Q Erector

There are other options out there but that's a start of what I have heard well or own. There are many many threads on this question with lots of great info.

You can get a yankee hill resonator r2 for $500ish and rugged obsidian 45 for $650 and pay the two tax stamps. The yankee hill shoots any .30 cal rifle caliber and down and the rugged shoots all the way up to 45-70. It’s a little over $1400 in total but covers everything.

This isn't a bad economical route at all either given the budget. The resonator is a great value and I love my Obsidian45. Splurge for a rimfire can also if you want to suppress rimfire. I would say the only things I would feel I would want to add to that above the rimfire can is an area419 or keymo adapter as I don't like YHMs muzzle devices(personal preference). If you want something lighter, you can get a TBAC can later that can also share the area419 adapters.

Last edited:
I started this way...buy just one suppressor for everything. Sico Omega. No way I as going to get a bunch of them.

Then larger calibers arrived plus I wanted to suppress pistol and ended up with Hybrids. Then I didn't like that weight on a pistol, so a 45k and a 9k. It has continued to grow.

It is like saying you want one AR or long range rifle. It always starts with one then you get sick of messing with hot cans and switching out pistons.

However if you only want one and don't need 45, a sico 36 would be my suggestion as well.

If you can slightly up that budget by $200-$400, you could get a nice pistol can, and a nice rifle can with stamps and trusts from Silencer Shop... And if there is a dealer with a Silencer Shop Kiosk nearby to get your fingerprints done electronically, it's as easy as buying something off of Amazon after that... They have streamlined this process so much.

There is no such thing as a can that does everything well... It can't do lots of things, and still do them all well...Something will suffer. That's the nature of everything in life. Suppressors, guns, and optics are no different.

My recommendations are the Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45 can (depending on your needs). And for rifles, getting a Dead Air Nomad-30 or Nomad-L, or... If your local dealer can order you one, maybe a Rex Silentium Mod-X .30 caliber can. It's modular in length, so you can run it short on the AR's or long on the bolt guns.

why a nomad over a sandman? Curious because I bought the sandman lol 😂

Reactions: NateSavannah

Lighter and sounds better...

Op the hybrid 46 is as decent as it gets for a jack of all trades can. It's going to be unpleasant on a 300wm heavy as F on a handgun but quiet. Does actually pretty good on 308 family and on my Ar's.

If I had to do it all over again I would only keep my tbac 338 ultra sr, my rugged obsidian45, and my rugged occulus

Lighter and sounds better...

Op the hybrid 46 is as decent as it gets for a jack of all trades can. It's going to be unpleasant on a 300wm heavy as F on a handgun but quiet. Does actually pretty good on 308 family and on my Ar's.

If I had to do it all over again I would only keep my tbac 338 ultra sr, my rugged obsidian45, and my rugged occulus

I wanted a QD system to switch between rifles, other than that the nomad seemed like the perfect mix between weight, sound and cost; not that the sandman sounds terribly different.

I’ve questioned my order at least 3x per week since it’s got to my dealer. I got a mask .22 as well so we will see if I end up regretting it. F.O.B.O. Is real when buying your first cans

I wanted a QD system to switch between rifles, other than that the nomad seemed like the perfect mix between weight, sound and cost; not that the sandman sounds terribly different.

I’ve questioned my order at least 3x per week since it’s got to my dealer. I got a mask .22 as well so we will see if I end up regretting it. F.O.B.O. Is real when buying your first cans

Did you get an S or an L?

The Sandman is a great suppressor, but the Nomad is quieter, and has a better sound to it, if you hear it side-by-side with a Sandman.

The Sandman is a phenomenal can, and can handle some insane abuse, but it just doesn't have the internal volume of the Nomad with the 1.73" O.D. and the no-tube welded baffle stack.

I've got the new Nomad-LT sitting at my SOT waiting on my stamp approvals, but once my income tax comes back, I plan on buying either a Sandman-S or Nomad-30 strictly for my AR's, since I have a 7.5" 5.56 pistol in the mix. I can't decide which, but I'll probably go with a Sandman-S this time, and then buy a Nomad-30 later this year.

Reactions: 300zx_tt

The Nomad series cans have a KeyMo mount you can buy for it for $250 to make it QD with your current KeyMount brakes and flash hiders. So you can still order one later, and order a KeyMo for it, and make it QD.

The Nomad series cans have a KeyMo mount you can buy for it for $250 to make it QD with your current KeyMount brakes and flash hiders. So you can still order one later, and order a KeyMo for it, and make it QD.
Interesting... didn’t know that, I like the new nomad Naked that SilencerShop has. Looks awesome just bare metal

Great can you will be fine durable as F
That was also a selling point for me, if I’m buying for life I want something as rugged as I can possibly get. I’m sure I’ll like it, it’s a can lol.

I got a dead air mask as well, kind of just for shits and giggles and I have quite a few plinkers I can run it on. I take a lot of people shooting for the first time so that’s what I’m gonna have them run so we can talk to each other without ears on. I have a feeling I’ll be buying a few cans over the next few years

Interesting... didn’t know that, I like the new nomad Naked that SilencerShop has. Looks awesome just bare metal
That's what my Nomad-LT finish is... I prefer black, but it is what it is...They were sold out of black, so I had no option. I'll either get it cerakoted later, or get another cover for it.

That was also a selling point for me, if I’m buying for life I want something as rugged as I can possibly get. I’m sure I’ll like it, it’s a can lol.

I got a dead air mask as well, kind of just for shits and giggles and I have quite a few plinkers I can run it on. I take a lot of people shooting for the first time so that’s what I’m gonna have them run so we can talk to each other without ears on. I have a feeling I’ll be buying a few cans over the next few years
You will have more fun shooting your rimfires with that Mask HD on it, than you will anything else...Especially with subsonics. Just trust me on that one. 👍🏼

The next most fun you can have, is a suppressed bolt-action .300 BLK with 220gr. subsonics. It's like a damn pellet gun, but tossing a 220gr .30 caliber slug at 1050 FPS. It's a 100 yard deer-killing pellet rifle. 😏

Reactions: Krupples
You will have more fun shooting your rimfires with that Mask HD on it, than you will anything else...Especially with subsonics. Just trust me on that one. 👍🏼

The next most fun you can have, is a suppressed bolt-action .300 BLK with 220gr. subsonics. It's like a damn pellet gun, but tossing a 220gr .30 caliber slug at 1050 FPS. It's a 100 yard deer-killing pellet rifle. 😏
100% And that is why I have Ruger American 300blk shooting sub-x's. (y) Also have a 7.62x39 Ruger American for some brown bear subsonic Russian fun.

Buy a suppressor that fits most of your needs, then buy a solvent trap, Form 1 that suppressor to suit the rest of your needs.
This is the best advice I can give you... Get one good Form 4 can, and then do F1 for everything else tailored exactly to your needs (way faster, cheaper, and customizable).

45ACP down a 36M?

251r3m.jpg
Miss-spoke ... good catch. NOT for 45ACP ... I use my Omega-45K for that ... good catch. The Omega-36M is good for all my smaller pistol calibers, and all of my rifles from 223 to 338. I don't use it for the smaller calibers, but it works fine if the question is ... "If you only had one can?"

IMO the Griffin Armament optimus is one of the best universol type cans out. You can use it long for up to 300WM or shorten it for 300BLK or pistol rounds. It comes with a booster and has a lot of QD and 3 lug options.

Reactions: el_chupo_
This is the best advice I can give you... Get one good Form 4 can, and then do F1 for everything else tailored exactly to your needs (way faster, cheaper, and customizable).
Form1 times are almost the same as Form 4 times now. And maybe I'm looking the wrong places but every form1 can now seems to be getting more and more expensive to the point a professionally engineered can isn't that much more anymore.

You could get a YHM Resonator R2 with a warranty and support for not much more.

I would skip the 9mm and go quality 30. Rugged Surge is one of my favorites.
I have a Hybrid but use for a 458 Socom. I think Jack of all trades are disappoint after high hopes.

The SilencerCo Omega 36M truly gets as close to "All Calibers" as anything I've experienced thus far. Mine is used on my pistols (9mm-45ACP) and rifles (223-338LM). It's modular, flexible, and awesome. 2nd choice would be the SC Chimera-300, which I also use on several rifles.

View attachment 7554591
Fairly sure you dont want to try 45ACP in a 36M

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and Andrew863
Rugged Obsidian 45 - 9mm and can be used for subsonic 300blk
Rugged Radiant - 556, 300blk, 308 and 300 WM
Both cans are modular and can be run in short or long configuration, depending on your needs.
I will tell you the more you get into cans the more you will be willing to sacrifice some sound reduction for weight reduction. These allow for that.
Call Capital Armory, they should be able to get you bother cans for close to your budget.

Form1 times are almost the same as Form 4 times now. And maybe I'm looking the wrong places but every form1 can now seems to be getting more and more expensive to the point a professionally engineered can isn't that much more anymore.

You could get a YHM Resonator R2 with a warranty and support for not much more.
Not sure where your reading about F1, but in the last 6 months, I ahve done 4 F1's, and it was 26,27,27 and 29 days, from Sept till just a few weeks ago. As long as you use a Model/Caliber from the efile F1 drop down list (that are already approved), your approval time should be about 4 weeks. If you choose your own model/caliber, you go into pending research and that takes 3-4months.

As for price, they vary greatly, if you want the best, they are costly, if you want to go cheap, you can... $400 for a complete Solvent Kit is about the norm these days.

Not sure where your reading about F1, but in the last 6 months, I ahve done 4 F1's, and it was 26,27,27 and 29 days, from Sept till just a few weeks ago. As long as you use a Model/Caliber from the efile F1 drop down list (that are already approved), your approval time should be about 4 weeks. If you choose your own model/caliber, you go into pending research and that takes 3-4months.

As for price, they vary greatly, if you want the best, they are costly, if you want to go cheap, you can... $400 for a complete Solvent Kit is about the norm these days.
1st hand experience is better but the link is literally in the post showing others don't seem to be as lucky.

Reactions: Double Ugly
1st hand experience is better but the link is literally in the post showing others don't seem to be as lucky.

I agree, it shouldnt be the way it is, where you type your own model and Caliber, but that is what puts you into the PENDING RESEARCH category (and if anyone is reading this before filling out there first F1, please please do research, read the How-Tos, join the F1 Groups to save so many headaches). I did 3 or so months research before filling any forms out, and got exactly what I was hoping for in my first can cause I took the time. All the other F1's that come after are amazingly easy once you know the game

SiCo Hybrid. The only drawback I see with mine is that it's heavy to hang off of an AR, but it works for me. I've run it with 458 SOCOM, 308 and 223.
I have one also and found its size and weight disappointing on a pistol and I don't like pistol suppressors I cant take apart to clean. Also the 1.565 diameter vs 1.375 makes even suppressor height sights a challenge.

I think it is good on 300BO and decent on 308.
I havent tried any 30 or 338 magnums, but doubt they will perform to my expectations.

Main reason I got mine is for 458 SOCOM and there was only it and the Bowers when I chose. Not very quiet as suppressed goes, but fun and happy overall.

Here are some options for an AR in 5.56, I have notes handy.

GA REECE 5- 1.47x6.2, 14.5oz, 129.7db
Rugged Surge 9"- 1.5x9, 21.5oz, 131.5db
SWR Specwar 7.62- 1.5x9, 24oz 132.2db
SWR Specwar 5.56- 1.5x7.3, 19.5oz, 133.2db
SiCo Saker 5.56 gen1- 1.5x6.8, 18.0oz, 137db
Rugged Surge 7"- 1.5x7, 17.5oz, 137.3db
SiCo Saker 7.62 gen1- 1.5x7.5, 20.7oz, 138.0db
Rugged Razor- 1.5x6.4, 15.3oz, 138.7db
SiCo Hybrid- 1.565x9.3, 18.0oz, 142.1db

Weight isnt bad, but far from hearing safe on a longer barrel, pointless on a SBR.
Just have realistic expectations if you Hybrid, other than .308 and 300BO, it's very limited.

The way a few people I respect told me was you can categorize generalized suppressors into a few categories. One for small rifle one for large rifle one for pistol..

Id get a .308 can
a .45 can
and a .223 can

the 308 can is able to go on a .223 but thread is going to be an issue and a 308 can is just going to be huge and heavy on the front of a .223

If your adamant on only 1 can, get a thunder beast 5 and the adapters for your barrels. Then skip pistol suppressors. They arnt all that's cracked up to be.

Unless your running a PCC for 9mm I would forget the pistol can, more novelty than anything.
^^^^^
If you drop 9mm from your request your performance will go up dramatically by getting a good 7.62 suppressor.
If you have a 9mm SBR or PCC a 9mm is a lot of fun, but I would never use a 9mm can that can't be taken apart on a high volume shooter like that. The 36M and hybrid will get very dirty, very fast.

Pistols with suppressors cant be holstered, so forget any tactical shooting. They get very hot so try not to burn yourself or melt that holster/pouch on your belt. Hollywood has made them an assassins trademark so unless your in your home, better not use one for defense. Neat idea, but just very impractical in reality. I cant use suppressor in a pistol class, but wouldn't do a rifle class without one.