• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could start over...

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Realistically anyone can, but I pose this as a hypothetical question.

Looking at your personal collection/arsenal/arms-locker if you could start over what would you have?

The choices would be any gun that was ever produced to anything in production now that is within your present financial means.

Another thread on here talked about which guns you shoot frequently, the ones you shoot occasionally, and the ones that never get shot.

I have a few rifles/shotguns in my safe that were gifts from my father. They will never go anywhere. I also have the first guns I ever bought: Marlin 39A, Remington lightweight 1100 20 gauge, and a Ruger Single Six - which I will one day hand down to my son.

If I were to start over I think my collection would look something like this:

1. CVA Apex stainless single shot rifle (probably in 30/06)for hunting

2. AR 15 - billet upper/lower, stainless 18" barrel with rifle gas system, larue quad rail, troy sights, magpul ctr or vltor sopmod, miad grip, larue scope mount - unsure about glass definitely with magnification though - maybe a 1x6

3. Marlin 39A .22 - b/c there has never been any finer

4. Remington 600 Mohawk in .308

5. Long range rig - remington action - 260 remington caliber - 26" heavy barrel - don't care about brand of barrel - whatever ya'll recommend

6. Colt Python stainless .357 mag with 4" barrel

7. Smith and Wesson .22 revolver - stainless - 6" barrel

8. Full size 9mm - probably CZ 75 SP-01 tactical

9. Smith and Wesson MP9c - for carry

10. Marlin 1894 in .44 mag

11. Marlin 336c in 30/30

12. Benelli auto 12 gauge - 21" barrel

13. Benelli auto 20 gauge

14. A nice double rifle - not sure what make or caliber - I would just like to have one

15. Single Action revolver - probably Ruger Vaquero - in .45 LC

16. AND if ever possible a DC-17 blaster from Star Wars - you know, the big rifle the Storm Troopers carried!
grin.gif

That's all I can dream up for now.

So, What about you?

Re: If you could start over...

I would have kept the last AR I built, and just swapped the upper to an a3. I also would have had a custom remmy built right from the start instead of tinkering. However, I did learn alot, and am happy because it shoots well.

My major regrets are more related to gear than my rifles, I've gone through some shit gear and wished I had bought high-end from the start. I'm going to try to stick with Kifaru, Eagle, Kelty, etc. from now on and not get into cheap gear. The exception in my mind is the knockoff drag bag. It has worked pretty well.

I'm thinking right now that I'm going to sell alot of my possessions, as every time I move I realize how much shit I have. I worked on jeeps and cars for many years, and have sold most of that collection off, but it seems like every time I move something, I find 3 more parts behind it, lol.

That is what I regret. Should have been building rifles instead of wrecks, lol.

i would have more paper/target guns than hunting guns, i love hunting but it is only possible for me to hunt 10 - 12 days a year, but i can shoot 100+.....so more smaller caliber stuff, like .260, .243, etc. and less .338's...

i would have pulled out lmao jk...kinda
i would have kept my savage with mcmillan a5 stock i miss that thing even with all of it faults

I would have stuck with golf....who'd have known it was less expensive and time consuming than shooting!!
smile.gif

When I departed uncle the first time in 1967 I picked up a Remington 600 in .308, mounted a 4X Weaver and never had an issue with anything in the Rockies. My Hunting skills were fair, an there was nothing I could not tag with one shot. I should have never went the paper or steel route, would have been much cheaper, and I would have kept the field skills up much better.

Later, I changed the Weaver out for a 2.5X8X40 Leupold Veri X III an never looked back. I still have the old girl an she still throws the 165gr SBT's just fine.

If it ain't broke,... don't fix it
laugh.gif

Field skills, will always trump distance shooting, but most will never agree or understand that. A 18" barrel will do all thats ever required if the operator is up to the task.

PS,... I'm always looking for 600's in .308 if the price is right,...........

Would have bought the Sako Vixen Mannlicher in .222 that I saw at Tianos Sporting Goods in 1972, and would not have sold my 20ga model 12.

Firearms related I have two regrets!

1) An M40 that Gale McMillan put together for me that shot like no other; that I had to sell!

2) An AI AWP that I had the test target autographed by Malcolm Cooper; that I had to sell!

I know where both of those rifles are but I can't get the owners to part w/ them!

Both of those men were true Gentlemen!

I'm really pretty content with what I have. Of course it took a 12-Step program for me to rise above the addiction but with only that occasional relapse I'm GTG.
whistle.gif

I do have one elusive "Unicorn". I've looked for years and never found one. Back in late 1991 (December Issue of G&A Magazine to be exact, still have it) ;), there was a publicity ad for a McMillan Gunworks 300 Phoenix. There was a "tactical" version offered and a "long range competition" version which later would be the only version carried by Harris Gunworks. For those not familiar with the caliber it was among that era that gave us all those "fast-flat-n-furious thirties", purportedly launching 180 Grainers @ 3,600 fps and 250 Grainers @ 3,100 fps. I won't argue that there are better out there especially now days, but that particular chambering in that specific rifle has held my fascination for almost 20 years.

- Fret

I would have bought less guns, and I would have taken that money and bought a ton of componets, ammo, and the rest on classes showing me how to use the guns I did buy.

I have a lot of guns that I treasure because they were parents, uncles, grandparents, etc. that I wouldn't sell for any reason.
Putting that aside, if I could start over, I'd buy:
1) CZ 452 Varmint .22LR
2) GAP Crusader .308
3) NULA 30'06
4) Custom Rem. 700 .223 for varmint/target shooting
5) Rem 870 12 gauge
6) Colt 6920
7) Les Baer .45 ACP, one of the full size models, maybe TRS
8) Glock 19
9) Colt Detective Special
10) Winchester 37 20 gauge
11) Ruger MK II with 5.5 bull barrel
12) And last, this one is a maybe, .300 Whisper built on R700

That would be everything I could ever need and most of what I'd ever want.
Those could get me through any hunts I might ever get to take and cover home defense as well as concealed carry.

Edit: Forgot to add the T/C Omega I have now for black powder.

Could shoulda woulda........

I would have gotten a functional rifle and reliable scope, and spent the first five years shooting practical precision matches and getting training.
Then I would have built what I wanted/needed. would have been way cheaper than chasing new gear like I <span style="text-decoration: line-through">did </span> still do.

Really I would have spent less time on "cool" guns and more on quality. I've had so many evil black rifles come and go before I really started learning how to shoot. Now I just want to be a shooter first and collector second and have my inventory reflect that.

And yes, golf would have been cheaper.

I have had shit load of rifles if I could go back I would have bought from the beginning and stayed with.

AI AWP and a bunch of barrels in different calibers.

AI AWSM .338 lapua.

AR-15

Couple of .22's

and various pistols.. 1911, glock 17 etc..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have stuck with golf....who'd have known it was less expensive and time consuming than shooting!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Damn right about that. In fact, that was the exact same thing that my wife told me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have stuck with golf....who'd have known it was less expensive and time consuming than shooting!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

that was the exact same thing that my wife told me. </div></div>

That right there should tell you that you made the right choice.

If I could start over, I would have bought as many NIB M16's as I could find in 1985.

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Not stuck so much in a 10/22 only to get it to shoot as good as a bone stock CZ!

Bought a decked out 1911 instead of buying a SA GI 45 and decking it out. Although I did learn alot about 1911's.

If I could start over, I would of never sold so many of my guns to get other stuff.

Colt Trooper MK III .357mag 6"
Remington Nylon 66 .22
Remington 870 12ga fully engraved
Sako .243 Forrester
Colt Series 70 MK 4 officers model
S&W model 66 .357mag 4"
DPMS AR-15 lo-pro classic 16"
Remington 700 all weather .280rem
S&W 629 .44mag 8 3/8"
Ithica Model 37 12 ga
Savage Model 10 FP-LE .308 I don't really miss it,my son could have used it though

Anyway, never again. What I have now is an investment

I had a real sweet Bushmaster A2 that was sold when my daughter was born......I panicked when she arrived, and sold it for baby supplies. I do want another though............

The first one that comes to mind and would've been possible is the Marlin 39TDS.

I wish I had bought fewer guns and bought only guns that had a purpose. I am not wealthy enough to be a collector, but I can well afford what I "need" to dabble in the areas of shooting I enjoy.

No regrets. I am happy with where I am at and what I have.

I would always like to have a larger budget to spend on arms/ammo/training, but I don't have any guns I wish I didn't.

I DO wish I paid more attention to the M40A1 I took to Sniper School AND located the number during the initial return stock sale. But that is about it.

I do wish I had the ability to relocate out west where I could purchase enough land to shoot ELR, but that will eventually happen (maybe in twenty years when I retire).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i could start over......it would be HEROIN between the toes....cheaper! </div></div>

and far less addictive
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Realistically anyone can, but I pose this as a hypothetical question.

Looking at your personal collection/arsenal/arms-locker if you could start over what would you have?

The choices would be any gun that was ever produced to anything in production now that is within your present financial means.

Another thread on here talked about which guns you shoot frequently, the ones you shoot occasionally, and the ones that never get shot.

I have a few rifles/shotguns in my safe that were gifts from my father. They will never go anywhere. I also have the first guns I ever bought: Marlin 39A, Remington lightweight 1100 20 gauge, and a Ruger Single Six - which I will one day hand down to my son.

If I were to start over I think my collection would look something like this:

1. CVA Apex stainless single shot rifle (probably in 30/06)for hunting

2. AR 15 - billet upper/lower, stainless 18" barrel with rifle gas system, larue quad rail, troy sights, magpul ctr or vltor sopmod, miad grip, larue scope mount - unsure about glass definitely with magnification though - maybe a 1x6

3. Marlin 39A .22 - b/c there has never been any finer

4. Remington 600 Mohawk in .308

5. Long range rig - remington action - 260 remington caliber - 26" heavy barrel - don't care about brand of barrel - whatever ya'll recommend

6. Colt Python stainless .357 mag with 4" barrel

7. Smith and Wesson .22 revolver - stainless - 6" barrel

8. Full size 9mm - probably CZ 75 SP-01 tactical

9. Smith and Wesson MP9c - for carry

10. Marlin 1894 in .44 mag

11. Marlin 336c in 30/30

12. Benelli auto 12 gauge - 21" barrel

13. Benelli auto 20 gauge

14. A nice double rifle - not sure what make or caliber - I would just like to have one

15. Single Action revolver - probably Ruger Vaquero - in .45 LC

16. AND if ever possible a DC-17 blaster from Star Wars - you know, the big rifle the Storm Troopers carried!
grin.gif

That's all I can dream up for now.

So, What about you?
</div></div>

Not even sure why I want to entertain this!

#1 Many front stuffers, not sure yet.
#2 Loaded clips are better than gun I don't have.
#3 Any .22"
#10 as right load, just wrong gun.
#15 Your choice of Ruger.