• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing If you had a mill or lathe what would you make?

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
I'm starting to get into machining and may be able to get access to a mill and lathe at work. Any suggestions what to make? I'm thinking some picatinny rails, maybe scope rings. I'd love to make a ruger 10/22 receiver eventually.

other suggestions?

thanks much!

Re: If you had a mill or lathe what would you make?

I wouldn't be sitting here on the internet, thats for damn sure if had a mill and lathe.

supressors.....but ONLY AFTER PAYING ANY AND ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR STATE SALES TAX.

just for you shaggy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">supressors.....but ONLY AFTER PAYING ANY AND ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR STATE SALES TAX.

+1....

just for you shaggy </div></div>

i'd be making more tools and work holding devices.

thanks, but I don't have access yet. need to find out what i steps i have to go through before i can use work equipment. was just hoping for some project suggestion.

Making stuff at work is refered to as "Government Work" because it's always "High Priority" and "Top Secret"!
wink.gif

Depending on your skill level/experience, start with the easy stuff first like a Barrel vise, action wrench, or some other tool you want or need. Look though Sinclair or Brownells catalog for ideas. There are lots of assembly tools for AR's that are helpful like one to compress the ejector to remove or install the ejector retaining pin. Bore Guides made from derlin or aluminum would be a nice starter project also, add a o-ring for the chamber to get a good seal. Look through 300Sniper's posts for soome really trick looking tools also, he has made some cool stuff.

I would build a 40XR clone. or make a mold of my AICS fill it with fiberglass then mill it out to fit a 10/22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would build a 40XR clone. or make a mold of my AICS fill it with fiberglass then mill it out to fit a 10/22. </div></div>

almost exactly what i was thinking, but didn't want to give my idea away!!

Trueing, threading, chambering, bolt knobs, clean up bed jobs, etc..... Soon enough...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trueing, threading, chambering, bolt knobs, clean up bed jobs, etc..... Soon enough...
wink.gif
</div></div>
+1 set back and rechamber a factory tube..... makes a difference

I would be raiding all the local pawn shops for 700 receivers.

As soon as I get a car sold off I will be looking for a lathe and mill. Too bad that may take awhile.

To get back in the swing of things when I bought my new mill and lathe I made myself a reloading arbor press. It was a pretty easy fun project. The gears are available from McMaster-Carr (sp) and aluminum is wear resistant enough that it has not devoloped any slack yet. When it does I will go back and install some adjustable gibs.

Another good simple project is a Jig for opening recoil lugs. I think I copied PTGs and made a barrel stub that fits through the recoil lug to center it in the jig.

Nothing .

I was a machinist for 10 years and even though I have a Mill and a lathe at my disposal I rarely even look at them . I think my last project was milling out a stock to accomodate a larger recoil lug . I even have all the videos and books on how to build bolt guns and just can't seem to will myself into the shop to build one of my own . I guess being in a production shop for 10 years just took the will to machine parts out of me .

I have a lathe and mill. Bought it for doing bolt guns. So far the only stuff I have made is parts for my old (no parts available) heavy equipment. I have a dozen reamers that are still new. Can't find the time to do gun stuff.
Work is for people who aren't rich
frown.gif

I use my dad's lathe and mill regularly. The last project I did was true a Sav. 12 action and rebarrel it from 204 Ruger to a 1:8 twist Shilen tube in 6mm-223 and throat it for 105 Amax.

Next project is to disassemble a BRNO k98 and true it up and then stick a Lyman micrometer sight on top. Cheap "survives anything" gun with lots of whollop and range for cheap.

I'm almost done with the CAD work for a new "clean sheet" bolt action design, I'll be cutting chips on that after I do some final calculations on it. It's going to be in 6.5-06 and throated for 140 Bergers.

Along with all of that includes a number of tools needed to complete the jobs. Action wrenches, barrel vises, drive dogs, bedding pillars, bolt handles, etc. etc.

1my leetle freind .jpg

Among other things...I made this, had an old ,like before serial numbers old, Savage 342 action, a green mountain barrel, a few scraps from other projects that didnt pan out. TaDa! 17 Ackley Hornet
Whatever you can imagine you can accomplish between a mill and a lathe...and maybe a wire EDM thrown in to make bolt raceways.

cncguns.com has solid models of 10/22 receivers along with ar receivers and some others that will greatly help you in some of your projects

supressors.....but ONLY AFTER PAYING ANY AND ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR STATE SALES TAX.

Make a really nice bench rest, then a nice rifle to rest on it.

Remington 700 stock whit pistol grip. Ar15 buttstock and pistol grip. Aluminium bedding block (just like hs has).
Inleted for badger bottom metal.
Stocks foreend would be something similar to cheytacs... Mayby even samekind bipods as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chips. </div></div>

LMAO....yup, mostly.

I made this:

ARProject03.jpg

and one of these:

ARProject2010.jpg

I often use the mill to cut recoil lug recesses to accept oversize lugs and have inletted about eight M5 and Surgeon bottom metal kits.

I find the mill more useful than the lathe, but I do eventually want to build a can or two.

how about you design your own custom muzzel break and sell them and if you do let me know i may buy it off of you. that is if i get a discounted price sence it was my idea
smile.gif

find some plans and i'll see what i can whip up for a muzzle brake
have been thinking about that actually

i'd also love to make my own bolt action. anybody find plans for one of those?